Quality Podcast Episodes

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

5hout

Quality Podcast Episodes

Post by 5hout » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:28 am

Dave Tate TableTalk with Dave Hoff. Pretty funny. Has the kind of stories I've come to associate with just fucking insane strength genetics, shit like benching 400 in a shirt the 1st time he used a shirt. I like lifting a lot, and honestly think I have pretty good genetics for it (in terms of just big ass legs long before I ever squatted, even before fencing). Then you hear stories like this or Jim Wendler (or basically any of the people in the "god damn strong ass motherfuckers" category) and you realize the difference between pretty good and amazing.

One part that really spoke to me is "you can't will yourself through percentages". It's certainly something I've tried and know people that have tried, and that (based on a lot of the talk around here) I've moved away from, but it's interesting to see someone lay it out. I'd put it as something like "If you did X to squat Y, what are the chances that was all you could squat based on X? You do that same thing again, slightly better technique, slightly strong, slightly better fatigue management and you'll squat Y+z. Don't just add shit on b/c you're bored, do it when it's needed."

Hardartery

Re: Quality Podcast Episodes

Post by Hardartery » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:05 pm

5hout wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:28 am

Dave Tate TableTalk with Dave Hoff. Pretty funny. Has the kind of stories I've come to associate with just fucking insane strength genetics, shit like benching 400 in a shirt the 1st time he used a shirt. I like lifting a lot, and honestly think I have pretty good genetics for it (in terms of just big ass legs long before I ever squatted, even before fencing). Then you hear stories like this or Jim Wendler (or basically any of the people in the "god damn strong ass motherfuckers" category) and you realize the difference between pretty good and amazing.

One part that really spoke to me is "you can't will yourself through percentages". It's certainly something I've tried and know people that have tried, and that (based on a lot of the talk around here) I've moved away from, but it's interesting to see someone lay it out. I'd put it as something like "If you did X to squat Y, what are the chances that was all you could squat based on X? You do that same thing again, slightly better technique, slightly strong, slightly better fatigue management and you'll squat Y+z. Don't just add shit on b/c you're bored, do it when it's needed."
I have been trying to listen to this one, starts out pretty funny. The ones with former WSBB guys are usually the better ones. Wenning was interesting too, when he wasn't declaring his own awesomeness.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Re: Quality Podcast Episodes

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:02 pm