Building a double half rack

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Hardartery

Re: Building a double half rack

Post by Hardartery » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:23 pm

220Eric wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:24 pm Image

My buddy wanted a squat rack, I asked him if I could build him one because I like building stuff like that and had some ideas how I would do it “better,” and this is what I came up with.
The parts I still need to finish- the hooks have the wrong angle I was hoping I could bend them with my fine tuning hammer but I couldn’t. I have to cut and weld these corners I don’t have the tools to bend them like they should be. The finish has a lot of runs that I need to clean up still.
I used 2x3 tubing I really believe the extra two inches of space between the uprights is more valuable than the 3x3 tubing extra strength, stability, ability to mount accessories in 4 directions as opposed to just 2. I moved the base to outside edge of the uprights to allow more room if he deadlifts over the base and I think and hope the rack will be stable enough side to side like this. I added some barbell holders (aka rocket launchers) to the rear base thinking that may be a good space saver and shouldn’t interfere with any lifts.
I added spotter arm storage under the connector between the plate holder and the upright again trying to be efficient and I did this and still use this on my own rack. The finish is boiled linseed oil and has been very durable on my own rack.
I drilled too many holes, I just can’t help myself. I used the dimensions from a popular American lifting equipment maker and retailer.
Very nice.

Skander

Re: Building a double half rack

Post by Skander » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:47 am

I love the spotter arm storage, that's brilliant!