Tip Toeing in my Vibrams

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Renascent
Desperado

Re: Tip Toeing in my Vibrams

Post by Renascent » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:35 pm

Hardartery wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:52 pmPeople are frigging weird and have gotten weirder with the whole Covid thing.
Sadly, I have to agree.
Hardartery wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:52 pmI never know who the hell anyone is but they all no who I am.
Yeah, this has become an unfortunately familiar, and repetitive, experience.
MarkKO wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:14 pmWell, you just described the ideal build for a physique athlete so that goes some way to explaining why you get a rather good bang for buck when it comes to aesthetics.
I hadn't thought of it in those terms specifically, but that would explain the supposed novelty. Even had a dude at the till once lean in towards me, so no one else could hear, to say something like, "I know you ain't used to be that big. Ain't no way. We bout the same build. Tell me whatchu doin'." And he was right; very similar frames and height between us, but the emphatic manner in which he stated his point was telling.
MarkKO wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:14 pmPossibly it's just the circles I've moved in but it has always seemed like there are a few big guys around no matter where I go. Not legions of them, but enough that it never seems like anyone finds the sight of a big dude particularly noteworthy. It just a case of, there goes another big unit.
I've noticed that it hasn't yet happened in Costco. I see plenty of dudes twice my size in there, and apparently that's where they've been hiding and getting the most for their money, protein-wise.

It's places like Walmart where I tend to cross paths with people -- men and women -- with more time on their hands, and less imagination.

I think my height makes me more "approachable" in some people's minds, as well.
Hardartery wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:03 pm30 year-old Susan from the PTA or the next cubicle doing the same thing is inappropriately weird, or a sad attempt at flirting which is also likely inappropriate.
Yep. I work with a lot of people who seem to have "boundary issues," to put it lightly. I probably come across like a prude and an asshole at the same time.

But it's always been the older men who do or say the most out-of-pocket shit to try and figure out if I'd be amenable.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:15 pm

(7.29.2022)
High-Bar Squat
135 x 10
225 x 10
275 x 6 x 5
325 x 2 x 4
275 x 4 x 2
225 x 7

Standing Cable Leg Extensions
40 x 15 x 3
45 x 10 x 3

Weighted Sissy Squats
25 x 12 x 2
35 x 10 x 2

Kneeling Face Pulls
60 x 12 x 4

Ab Wheel Rollouts
10 x 5

Wasn't pleased with the squats at all. Corkscrewed the living shit out of some of the reps, especially near the end.

Also, I was gassy as fuck. Stunk up the joint in more ways than one, trying to come out of the hole alive in a dense cloud of well-seasoned freezer burn.

I considered taking a nap when I got home, but I didn't want to throw off my weekend schedule, which is kind of up in the air for now. So, at least the squats got done, I guess?

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:07 pm

Renascent wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:35 pm
Hardartery wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:52 pmPeople are frigging weird and have gotten weirder with the whole Covid thing.
Sadly, I have to agree.
Hardartery wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:52 pmI never know who the hell anyone is but they all no who I am.
Yeah, this has become an unfortunately familiar, and repetitive, experience.
MarkKO wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:14 pmWell, you just described the ideal build for a physique athlete so that goes some way to explaining why you get a rather good bang for buck when it comes to aesthetics.
I hadn't thought of it in those terms specifically, but that would explain the supposed novelty. Even had a dude at the till once lean in towards me, so no one else could hear, to say something like, "I know you ain't used to be that big. Ain't no way. We bout the same build. Tell me whatchu doin'." And he was right; very similar frames and height between us, but the emphatic manner in which he stated his point was telling.
MarkKO wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:14 pmPossibly it's just the circles I've moved in but it has always seemed like there are a few big guys around no matter where I go. Not legions of them, but enough that it never seems like anyone finds the sight of a big dude particularly noteworthy. It just a case of, there goes another big unit.
I've noticed that it hasn't yet happened in Costco. I see plenty of dudes twice my size in there, and apparently that's where they've been hiding and getting the most for their money, protein-wise.

It's places like Walmart where I tend to cross paths with people -- men and women -- with more time on their hands, and less imagination.

I think my height makes me more "approachable" in some people's minds, as well.
Hardartery wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:03 pm30 year-old Susan from the PTA or the next cubicle doing the same thing is inappropriately weird, or a sad attempt at flirting which is also likely inappropriate.
Yep. I work with a lot of people who seem to have "boundary issues," to put it lightly. I probably come across like a prude and an asshole at the same time.

But it's always been the older men who do or say the most out-of-pocket shit to try and figure out if I'd be amenable.
Older men have a virtual monopoly on saying weird, outrageous and just oddball shit.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:16 pm

(7.30.2022)
Cable Glute Kickbacks
35 x 12 x 5

Lateral Plate Raises
20 x 15 x 2
25 x 10 x 2

Overhead Cable Front Raise
25 x 12 x 5

Lying Cable Knee Raise
85 x 10 x 3
65 x 12 x 3
45 x 16 x 2

For some reason, my abs were really sore from the ab wheel stuff yesterday. Not concerning, but an odd thing of note.

Missed my short window to deadlift this morning, and wasn't in the mood for snatch-gripping tonight, so I'll try for tomorrow. Something in the lower back felt tight anyway (probably the QL, which would explain yesterday's twisting squats, along with other telltale discomforts further upstream), so I just did another "maintenance" session instead.

Unfortunately, this means my weekly schedule is being butchered again, so I'll only hit the main lifts once each in the coming seven days (again). Probably good for recovery, possibly detrimental to actual progress (for lower body stuff, anyway). The extra "rest" might be good for hypertrophy, but the overall lower volume makes me feel like a drifter.

They've adjusted our work schedule again, so I'll be on-site for another weekday going forward, which means I'll lose about 45 minutes for that evening to lift; wish I had the courage to take a shit at work. I'll try to make the best of it, as usual, but I know I'll miss the extra rest I've been "privileged" to enjoy in the mornings.

I played around with front raises some time before, using a 45-lb plate, but I'm flirting with them again, with less weight for now via the cable. There was pronounced DOMS near the medial inferior border of the scapula last time I tried this setup; it felt good. Seems like a lot of the little movements have a payoff in the long run; they're boring as shit until you realize some related manner of movement has become more efficient somewhere down the line.

So, on days where I'm mostly tied up with other shit and a "real" lifting session seems unlikely, I'll have to remember that hitting the bodybuilder movements (Y-raise variations, butt stuff, and other focal points of isolation) for an hour can't hurt.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:13 pm

Renascent wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:16 pm (7.30.2022)
Cable Glute Kickbacks
35 x 12 x 5

Lateral Plate Raises
20 x 15 x 2
25 x 10 x 2

25 x 12 x 5

Lying Cable Knee Raise
85 x 10 x 3
65 x 12 x 3
45 x 16 x 2

For some reason, my abs were really sore from the ab wheel stuff yesterday. Not concerning, but an odd thing of note.

Missed my short window to deadlift this morning, and wasn't in the mood for snatch-gripping tonight, so I'll try for tomorrow. Something in the lower back felt tight anyway (probably the QL, which would explain yesterday's twisting squats, along with other telltale discomforts further upstream), so I just did another "maintenance" session instead.

Unfortunately, this means my weekly schedule is being butchered again, so I'll only hit the main lifts once each in the coming seven days (again). Probably good for recovery, possibly detrimental to actual progress (for lower body stuff, anyway). The extra "rest" might be good for hypertrophy, but the overall lower volume makes me feel like a drifter.

They've adjusted our work schedule again, so I'll be on-site for another weekday going forward, which means I'll lose about 45 minutes for that evening to lift; wish I had the courage to take a shit at work. I'll try to make the best of it, as usual, but I know I'll miss the extra rest I've been "privileged" to enjoy in the mornings.

I played around with front raises some time before, using a 45-lb plate, but I'm flirting with them again, with less weight for now via the cable. There was pronounced DOMS near the medial inferior border of the scapula last time I tried this setup; it felt good. Seems like a lot of the little movements have a payoff in the long run; they're boring as shit until you realize some related manner of movement has become more efficient somewhere down the line.

So, on days where I'm mostly tied up with other shit and a "real" lifting session seems unlikely, I'll have to remember that hitting the bodybuilder movements (Y-raise variations, butt stuff, and other focal points of isolation) for an hour can't hurt.
Different grip angles on any of the raises seem to change the movement a lot for me. Like neutral grip versus pronated. Supinated feels weird but doesn't seem to do anything in particular for me on any of the raises so far. Although I haven't tried it with Y raises.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:25 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:13 pm
Renascent wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:16 pmI played around with front raises some time before, using a 45-lb plate, but I'm flirting with them again, with less weight for now via the cable. There was pronounced DOMS near the medial inferior border of the scapula last time I tried this setup; it felt good. Seems like a lot of the little movements have a payoff in the long run; they're boring as shit until you realize some related manner of movement has become more efficient somewhere down the line.

Different grip angles on any of the raises seem to change the movement a lot for me. Like neutral grip versus pronated. Supinated feels weird but doesn't seem to do anything in particular for me on any of the raises so far. Although I haven't tried it with Y raises.
I've noticed the same thing as well. I prefer Y-raises with a pronated grip if I'm using plates, though neutral instinctively seems like it'd be more beneficial overall. Cables and the tricep rope make the movement feel a lot better with a neutral grip.

And, supposedly, there's something to be said about lat involvement with different grips allowing a longer or short stretch, e.g., underhand rows.

I don't know anything for sure, but the grip-change phenomenon has been observed on my end as well.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:30 pm

(8.2.2022)
Low-Bar Squat
135 x 10
225 x 10
275 x 7 x 2
315 x 4 x 3
335 x 2 x 4
275 x 5 x 2
225 x 6

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:52 am

Renascent wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:31 pm I think being relatively short with small bones makes any acquired meat on my frame stand out to some
How tall are you?

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:30 am

DCR wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:52 am
Renascent wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:31 pm I think being relatively short with small bones makes any acquired meat on my frame stand out to some
How tall are you?
About 5'7" or so.

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:01 pm

Renascent wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:30 am
DCR wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:52 am
How tall are you?
About 5'7" or so.
So am I. (And a half!) Now that I’ve confirmed that, I think you’re underestimating the effect of you being ripped on top of the jacktitude. Dude, 197 lbs at 5’7’’ and ripped is big. Frank Zane was 5’9 and competed at (a stupid ripped) 200 lbs.

I’m generally around 205 and it’s very clear that I lift weights, per inquiries that I get. If I go up to 210-215 (which I have), people start asking why I “stopped working out,” because I just become a soft turd. If I went the other way and lost 10 lbs - around where you’re at - I’d be accused of being on gear.

Our perceptions are skewed by the 6’2’’, 230 lb dude in the next aisle, that gets stuck in our heads because we’ve devoted a fuck ton of our lives to getting bigger. The average person only sees what’s in front of him/her, which in your case is a substantial amount of muscle.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:52 pm

DCR wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:01 pmOur perceptions are skewed by the 6’2’’, 230 lb dude in the next aisle, that gets stuck in our heads because we’ve devoted a fuck ton of our lives to getting bigger. The average person only sees what’s in front of him/her, which in your case is a substantial amount of muscle.
You're probably right.

Right now, I most likely weigh less than 197, though it's always when I've skipped a few sessions or missed a few meals that the comments/compliments start coming in out of nowhere. I forget that, to the average person, even a fair bit of muscle mass at 180+, is "a lot" to folks who don't lift.

hector

Post by hector » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:55 pm

For sure you look like you lift heavy.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:56 pm

(8.3.2022)
Face Pulls
55 x 15 x 3

Standing Cable Leg Extensions
40 x 15 x 4
45 x 12 x 2

Cable Pull-Aparts
30 x 10 x 4

Cable Glute Kickbacks
40 x 12 x 3

Weighted Sissy Squats
25 x 15 x 2
35 x 10 x 2

30 x 10 x 4

Kneeling Cable Crunch
75 x 15 x 2
85 x 10 x 2

Irked by a number of recent events, none of which are specifically gym-related. Ready for some normalcy again, so that my lifts might regain some consistency.

Sick of this fucking rain.
Last edited by Renascent on Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:56 pm

hector wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:55 pm For sure you look like you lift heavy.
:D

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:20 pm

Renascent wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:52 pm
DCR wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:01 pmOur perceptions are skewed by the 6’2’’, 230 lb dude in the next aisle, that gets stuck in our heads because we’ve devoted a fuck ton of our lives to getting bigger. The average person only sees what’s in front of him/her, which in your case is a substantial amount of muscle.
You're probably right.

Right now, I most likely weigh less than 197, though it's always when I've skipped a few sessions or missed a few meals that the comments/compliments start coming in out of nowhere. I forget that, to the average person, even a fair bit of muscle mass at 180+, is "a lot" to folks who don't lift.
I think what you might want to remember is that you combine a number of things:

- you have the build to make any added muscle look like a lot of mass (shorter, smaller bones, etc);
- you are really quite lean;
- you have quite a good amount of muscle mass as it is;
- your training is geared towards building muscle mass and doesn't really leave any part of your body out;
- you are very, very consistent; and
- you are reasonably strong (remember that your lifts are beltless and wrapless so while you may say, hell, mid 300s squat/mid 300s bench/low 500s dead isn't very strong which at face value that is completely true, when you add the very significant caveat of those numbers being beltless and wrapless that changes somewhat because most people who lift do use at least a belt and wrist wraps and with that equipment your numbers most likely would jump to low to mid 400s squat/high 300s bench/low 600s deadlift which isn't elite by any means but definitely getting to the respectable level especially at under 200 lbs) so the loads you use across the board are going to generate quite a lot of growth.

Effectively you showcase that close to perfect storm of nature and nurture so you could go anywhere, including a gym with plenty of big, strong people and still very obviously be someone who knows their way around the weights.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:11 am

Renascent wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:56 pm
You are very similar height and weight as one of my nephews. Probably almost identical. You look a little more muscular to me than he does. You could probably poke throught his instagram, I think it's justlifting or something similar at the moment, and you will get a better idea how you look objectively to other people. You'll have to imagine a tan on him though, lol.

DCR

Post by DCR » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:50 pm

Hardartery wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:11 am
Renascent wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:56 pm
You are very similar height and weight as one of my nephews. Probably almost identical. You look a little more muscular to me than he does. You could probably poke throught his instagram, I think it's justlifting or something similar at the moment, and you will get a better idea how you look objectively to other people. You'll have to imagine a tan on him though, lol.
To that end, for reference, me at exactly your height @Renascent, but with an additional 10-15 lbs (of mostly fat). If any average person met us both, they’d tell me to get some tips from you.

https://ibb.co/WBvb8Zs
https://ibb.co/j5ZDphh

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:53 pm

MarkKO wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:20 pmEffectively you showcase that close to perfect storm of nature and nurture so you could go anywhere, including a gym with plenty of big, strong people and still very obviously be someone who knows their way around the weights.
While I will likely never make the choice to compete, and I don't particularly miss the gym(s) I used to frequent now that I have my own stuff, I would like to try out a powerlifting gym for a time someday, if the price were reasonable, just for the sake of atmosphere.

About the only thing I miss most is cheering people on when they're attempting a PR; I'd imagine it's much more common in a powerlifting gym, and humbling too.

DCR

Post by DCR » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:57 pm

MarkKO wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:20 pm - you are reasonably strong (remember that your lifts are beltless and wrapless so while you may say, hell, mid 300s squat/mid 300s bench/low 500s dead isn't very strong which at face value that is completely true, when you add the very significant caveat of those numbers being beltless and wrapless that changes somewhat because most people who lift do use at least a belt and wrist wraps and with that equipment your numbers most likely would jump to low to mid 400s squat/high 300s bench/low 600s deadlift which isn't elite by any means but definitely getting to the respectable level especially at under 200 lbs) so the loads you use across the board are going to generate quite a lot of growth.
This legit made me feel much better about my (not as good) lifts.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:00 pm

Hardartery wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:11 amYou are very similar height and weight as one of my nephews. Probably almost identical. You look a little more muscular to me than he does. You could probably poke throught his instagram, I think it's justlifting or something similar at the moment, and you will get a better idea how you look objectively to other people. You'll have to imagine a tan on him though, lol.
I'll take you up on that.

Periodically, I'll Google parameters to those with which I operate (height, weight, 1-rep maxes, and so on), and it seems I'm pretty middling. But it's always interesting to actually see someone of similar height and build go about things with results in the same neighborhood, rep- and intensity-wise.

How come you don't have an IG?