World DL Chmpionships/Giants Live

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

Hardartery

World DL Chmpionships/Giants Live

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:43 am

I missed most of it, but no new record. Only Makarov tried it and missed the same as last year. I'm listening to Fullbrook but he's frankly awful. Pavlo missed 476, Rauno Heinla got 476 for a Masters record and the win on the event because Makarov skipped 476. A lot of misses at 1000 lbs this year apparently, although Fullbrook keeps referring to 476 as 1000 which frankly is not excusable. The weirdo number of 453.6 makes it obvious that that is specifically 1000lbs as opposed to a natural jumo in kilos. As a result, I'm not sure what Hooper actually got and have no confidence that there were a bunch of misses at 1k, the misses may have all been at 476 for all I can tell.

Hardartery

Re: World DL Chmpionships/Giants Live

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:35 am

Hardartery wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:43 am I missed most of it, but no new record. Only Makarov tried it and missed the same as last year. I'm listening to Fullbrook but he's frankly awful. Pavlo missed 476, Rauno Heinla got 476 for a Masters record and the win on the event because Makarov skipped 476. A lot of misses at 1000 lbs this year apparently, although Fullbrook keeps referring to 476 as 1000 which frankly is not excusable. The weirdo number of 453.6 makes it obvious that that is specifically 1000lbs as opposed to a natural jumo in kilos. As a result, I'm not sure what Hooper actually got and have no confidence that there were a bunch of misses at 1k, the misses may have all been at 476 for all I can tell.
Plenty of guys got the 1k, Singleton missed, Novikov passeed on it (Probably because Singleton missed). Pavlo won the next event, which I think was a Medley. Log up next.

dw

Post by dw » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:43 am

Yeah but how's their grip strength??

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:55 am

dw wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:43 am Yeah but how's their grip strength??
I am not sure what you are asking. In Strongman the DL event is always there as a test of back strength, there is a separate event to test grip. Contests are set up specifically designed around testing the specific strengths/disciplines individually - it's not Powerlifting. I think a lot of people somehow miss that. You wouldn't test grip on every event, you test it on the grip event. Testing it on every event would be stupid. And trust me, the grip is assuredly better for most of thses guys than any other sport.

dw

Post by dw » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:56 am

Hardartery wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:55 am
I am not sure what you are asking. In Strongman the DL event is always there as a test of back strength, there is a separate event to test grip. Contests are set up specifically designed around testing the specific strengths/disciplines individually - it's not Powerlifting. I think a lot of people somehow miss that. You wouldn't test grip on every event, you test it on the grip event. Testing it on every event would be stupid. And trust me, the grip is assuredly better for most of thses guys than any other sport.
It was a joke.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:06 pm

dw wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:56 am
Hardartery wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:55 am
It was a joke.
Sorry, I wasn't sure and it gets old. I got one of those comments on one of my training vids from some Jabronie. Mind you, I pull 4 plates for reps holding only the smooth part of the bar with no chalk and DOH but I apparently have no grip strength. I get triggered sometimes.
Last edited by Hardartery on Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:10 pm

Hooper wins the Log Press, Pavlo and Novikov tied for second. Flowers is out, Makarov is out, Pa O'Dwyer is out. Hixxy did surprisingly poorly on Log. Makarov is apparently gone to the hospital, doesn't sound good.
***** Apparently Flowers is not out, as he's doing the Hammer Hold

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:40 pm

Hammer Hold
Hooper first, Pavlo second, Hicks third, Novikov fourth. Singleton did not do it, nor the Log Lift. They aren't saying that he's out, but Singleton appears to be out.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:13 pm

Looks like Pavlo first, Hooper second, Novikov third. Pavlo won the Stones and Hooper was fifth on Stones, which did the trick. Bit of a surprise winner.