Nuckolls on ELiteFTS today

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

Hardartery

Nuckolls on ELiteFTS today

Post by Hardartery » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:03 am

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I know he is well respected on here and some might want to catch this.

dw

Re: Nuckolls on ELiteFTS today

Post by dw » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:26 am

Das Wunderkind!

James

Post by James » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:19 pm

I love how excited it seems Dave is to have Greg on.

Hardartery

Re: Wenning on ELiteFTS today

Post by Hardartery » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:11 pm

Didn't want to start a new thread, just after the one hour mark there is a direct dig at Rippetoe by name. I thought some of you might enjoy it.

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:20 pm

Plenty of reasons not to listen to Mark Rippetoe, but his personal bests aren’t one of them.

ccoyle

Post by ccoyle » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:21 am

Hardartery wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:11 pm Didn't want to start a new thread, just after the one hour mark there is a direct dig at Rippetoe by name. I thought some of you might enjoy it.
[youtube link omitted]
I get that varying movements is a good idea, and that overuse of any movement can be bad, but one unnamed orthopedic surgeon, at some point in the past, whose weight training background, if any, is unknown, says overhead pressing is bad? Pretty weak.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:35 am

ccoyle wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:21 am
Hardartery wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:11 pm Didn't want to start a new thread, just after the one hour mark there is a direct dig at Rippetoe by name. I thought some of you might enjoy it.
[youtube link omitted]
I get that varying movements is a good idea, and that overuse of any movement can be bad, but one unnamed orthopedic surgeon, at some point in the past, whose weight training background, if any, is unknown, says overhead pressing is bad? Pretty weak.
LOL. The entire PT/Ortho community has some issues with overhead pressing. Personally, I think BTN with full ROM down to the traps are great. At 50, I have better shoulders than both of them, and that's with bone spurs on the left which are directly attributable to a congenital condition unrelated to any of my pressing.

Daverin2112

Post by Daverin2112 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:06 pm

Meanwhile, some thread here a while back had a study basically finding that the capsule somehow increases room under load, Bill Starr swore up and down that he never heard of these shoulder injuries before benching became the big thing, and there are all kinds of arguments that the bench press can create an unnatural GH joint movement pattern due to trying to stay retracted. So benching is out. You can't actually safely do anything to target the lateral head because impingement. And of course, the anterior head is always overdeveloped. In fact, don't do anything at all with the shoulders, ever, not even then, and definitely not that one thing. But if you do, only do it in this one exact way involving an exact amount of rotation and half a dozen different sequences of cues. Gets old, mannnn.

The podcast guests lately have been amazing, though. Is the one with all the old Westside lifters the first time Vogelpohl has been seen just... talking, shooting the shit, in a publicly accessible manner?

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:13 am

Daverin2112 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:06 pm Meanwhile, some thread here a while back had a study basically finding that the capsule somehow increases room under load, Bill Starr swore up and down that he never heard of these shoulder injuries before benching became the big thing, and there are all kinds of arguments that the bench press can create an unnatural GH joint movement pattern due to trying to stay retracted. So benching is out. You can't actually safely do anything to target the lateral head because impingement. And of course, the anterior head is always overdeveloped. In fact, don't do anything at all with the shoulders, ever, not even then, and definitely not that one thing. But if you do, only do it in this one exact way involving an exact amount of rotation and half a dozen different sequences of cues. Gets old, mannnn.

The podcast guests lately have been amazing, though. Is the one with all the old Westside lifters the first time Vogelpohl has been seen just... talking, shooting the shit, in a publicly accessible manner?
I think the shoulder is underrates and mistreated. I can feel a huge difference on a Floor Press depending on what I flex in my shoulder area on setup and I think the problems stem from lack of balance in shoulder development - as you note. The anterior head is always overdeveloped in relation to the rest of the shoulder, and people do not spen enough time on the flexibility. Weightlifters don't seem to be complaining of the same chronic shoulder issues that PLers do, point to Starr who had a point. Weightlifters do a lot of work keeping the shoulders flexibile, I think that really matters. You lose that ROM and flexibility and you suffer, which I say from experience.

And yes, I'm pretty sure that was the first time Vogelpohl had been on anything and it took Dave to get him on something even for just part of the podcast. It really isn't his thing, unfortunately, because he's pretty interesting to listen to. He would have been a nightmare to train with, but fun to hear now. They had Tuscherer on yesterday, I haven't finished listening to it yet but he gave me an explanation of RPE that finally made sense to me.

Daverin2112

Post by Daverin2112 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:44 pm

WL'ers do a lot of work keeping the shoulder flexible AND strong. Far from being afraid of these positions, they actively train them constantly. Much like squatting upright, it is a point of pride to them that their presses try to be as upright and actually over-the-head as possible. Wenning, meanwhile, has and does make it clear he subscribes to the fairy tale of moving the arms solely with the power of triceps and lats, as if you can somehow take the deltoid muscles out of it. Suuuuuure. And heaven forbid you even think of using your pecs. I just can't stand seeing that kind of pissweak take on the human body. He talks in that podcast of mileage like he is some car made of rusting metal, not a living organism with the ability to grow and adapt.

And yes, saw some of the Tuschererererererererererr podcast. FIrst, jfc Mike is so soft-spoken, can be hard to hear at times. But second, hearing two coaches of this caliber just chatting up training is so awesome. It is kind of amusing, though; if you consider some of the stereotypes associated with RPE users (i.e. tend to be associated with high frequency, super specificity, et all), Mike's takes can come across as a surprise. But that is just him making clear of his actual priority, in his own words, transfer to the platform.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:08 pm

Daverin2112 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:44 pm WL'ers do a lot of work keeping the shoulder flexible AND strong. Far from being afraid of these positions, they actively train them constantly. Much like squatting upright, it is a point of pride to them that their presses try to be as upright and actually over-the-head as possible. Wenning, meanwhile, has and does make it clear he subscribes to the fairy tale of moving the arms solely with the power of triceps and lats, as if you can somehow take the deltoid muscles out of it. Suuuuuure. And heaven forbid you even think of using your pecs. I just can't stand seeing that kind of pissweak take on the human body. He talks in that podcast of mileage like he is some car made of rusting metal, not a living organism with the ability to grow and adapt.

And yes, saw some of the Tuschererererererererererr podcast. FIrst, jfc Mike is so soft-spoken, can be hard to hear at times. But second, hearing two coaches of this caliber just chatting up training is so awesome. It is kind of amusing, though; if you consider some of the stereotypes associated with RPE users (i.e. tend to be associated with high frequency, super specificity, et all), Mike's takes can come across as a surprise. But that is just him making clear of his actual priority, in his own words, transfer to the platform.
Mike made sense. His explanation of RPE was pretty clear, and kind of what my initial supposition was regarding it. It's just a more nuanced RIR, which is a concept I find very easy to use. As for Wendler, I find him hit and miss. He says some stuff that resonates, but is often too far up his own ass. I think all of that shoulder bogeymanism is more than just counterproductive, and people freaking out about their shoulders and pressing all of the time is the same BS that leads to the guy at Walmart having a back brace on from beginning to end of his shift to "Protect" his back. Never using something seems like the fastest way to destroy it to me.