Friday night…

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

wiigelec

Friday night…

Post by wiigelec » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:52 pm

…at the bar or under the bar, where would you rather be?

One point in my life, not too long ago even, the answer was an easy “at”. That time has passed and the answer now is a resounding UNDER THE BAR!

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: Friday night…

Post by mgil » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:05 pm

I’ve been doing pretty well at getting some lifting in on Friday nights. Feels good

wiigelec

Post by wiigelec » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:28 pm

mgil wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:05 pm I’ve been doing pretty well at getting some lifting in on Friday nights. Feels good
I usually train bjj on Friday nights but couldn’t make it tonight so figured why waste a quiet night at home? Cheers to tempo paused squats!

cole

Post by cole » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:47 pm

under the bar is better than under the influence, all day any day

i cant believe what a waste of a human i was from ages 21-28

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:00 pm

When I used to lift in a gym I didn't own, I didn't care much for Friday nights, because they always closed early.

I rarely go anywhere that isn't my workplace or a grocery store, and if I wanna drink, I'm much more comfortable doing it at home.

Now with a rack at home, though, Friday nights are a great opportunity to really show my ass, especially if I'm craving some volume and can get away with sleeping in the next morning.

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:38 pm

I tend to be out on Thursdays either for work, socially, or a combination of the two, and so I do end up in the gym on Friday nights pretty often. That said, I’d much rather have squared shit away and be at the bar (which for me usually means relaxing at a table outdoors at a local microbrewery, relaxing with my dog, some food, and, if I’m alone, a book).

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:27 pm

cole wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:47 pm under the bar is better than under the influence, all day any day

Hilariously, I feel the opposite way. I am a socially awkward dweeb about to turn 27 and I agonize over how much time I have spent under the bar. I remember doing volume pulls on Halloween night in like, 2019 and thinking to myself basically everyone I knew at my part time job was out having fun and actually experiencing life, even if it was just dumb drunken degeneracy that they wouldn't even remember anyway. Hearing those iron plates clank out in a completely empty gym at 10PM was kind of a bummer.

I started seriously training in like February of 2017 when I was 21 years old and then never stopped. I was a dumb, shy misfit with not much to look forward to or live for and I foolishly thought lifting weights would fix all of those things, but it never did. Seems depressing to have spent so much of my youth 2 hours a day 4-5 times a week to achieve super mediocre numbers.

My perspective is pretty warped though. It is an extremely bleak view of things. At least I'm not actually fat.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:32 am

In bed.

wiigelec

Post by wiigelec » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:34 am

EggMcMuffin wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:27 pm
cole wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:47 pm under the bar is better than under the influence, all day any day

Hilariously, I feel the opposite way. I am a socially awkward dweeb about to turn 27 and I agonize over how much time I have spent under the bar. I remember doing volume pulls on Halloween night in like, 2019 and thinking to myself basically everyone I knew at my part time job was out having fun and actually experiencing life, even if it was just dumb drunken degeneracy that they wouldn't even remember anyway. Hearing those iron plates clank out in a completely empty gym at 10PM was kind of a bummer.

I started seriously training in like February of 2017 when I was 21 years old and then never stopped. I was a dumb, shy misfit with not much to look forward to or live for and I foolishly thought lifting weights would fix all of those things, but it never did. Seems depressing to have spent so much of my youth 2 hours a day 4-5 times a week to achieve super mediocre numbers.

My perspective is pretty warped though. It is an extremely bleak view of things. At least I'm not actually fat.
Thanks that’s an interesting perspective, I hadn’t considered a case where someone had spent too much time training, at the detriment of other things. Goes to show that usually the best path is somewhere down the middle.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:25 am

I have good memories when I lived in Florida working at my old shitty job, getting off around 4 and driving an hour to the gym and it being dead around 5-6pm and having 3 squat racks to myself doing muh fahves and then driving home, eating a huge dinner real quick, going downtown and getting completely hammered with friends and getting free drinks from a bartender we were friends with. Also remember waking up on those Saturday mornings a few times after I turned 25 and feeling like I had been hit by a truck and that my skull was going to break from the hangover.

So both basically lol

Culican

Post by Culican » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:53 am

Try going first thing in the morning on New Years Day and being the only one there (except for the person at the front desk) because everyone else is at home too sick to get out of bed.

wiigelec

Post by wiigelec » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:18 pm

Culican wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:53 am

Try going first thing in the morning on New Years Day and being the only one there (except for the person at the front desk) because everyone else is at home too sick to get out of bed.
Definitely glad those days have passed.

OverheadDeadlifts

Post by OverheadDeadlifts » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:23 pm

I remember doing volume pulls on Halloween night in like, 2019 and thinking to myself basically everyone I knew at my part time job was out having fun and actually experiencing life, even if it was just dumb drunken degeneracy that they wouldn't even remember anyway. Hearing those iron plates clank out in a completely empty gym at 10PM was kind of a bummer.
But is your assumption that if you weren’t in there lifting, you would have been out with them? Because more than likely you would have been sitting at home doing typical unfulfilling socially awkward person stuff. I think that would have been a much bigger bummer.

Like if you’d skipped your last 5 training days, would you have spent those 10 hours doing things that you think the ideal version of yourself should have be doing? Or would have spent those 10 hours just fucking around?

I think that finding something you care enough about that you’ll volitionally put effort into it 4-5 days a week for years is quite rare. Sometimes I think to myself ‘holy shit I found something I genuinely enjoy doing that isn’t staring at a screen or self destructive’ and feel lucky. Some people will never find that.

Culican

Post by Culican » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:16 pm

OverheadDeadlifts wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:23 pm I think that finding something you care enough about that you’ll volitionally put effort into it 4-5 days a week for years is quite rare. Sometimes I think to myself ‘holy shit I found something I genuinely enjoy doing that isn’t staring at a screen or self destructive’ and feel lucky. Some people will never find that.
Having lifted for almost 40yr (with the longest break being 8 weeks due to a cervical disk issue) I consider it one of my success stories. There may have been stretches where I only managed to lift once a week or so but I never quit.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:25 am

I'm currently the poster boy for Body by Busch Light and we are fast approaching the fall which means Day-Drinking Saturdays while I split firewood and Sunday Funday now that football is back so the downward spiral is about to kick into overdrive...

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:32 pm

OverheadDeadlifts wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:23 pm
But is your assumption that if you weren’t in there lifting, you would have been out with them? Because more than likely you would have been sitting at home doing typical unfulfilling socially awkward person stuff. I think that would have been a much bigger bummer.

Like if you’d skipped your last 5 training days, would you have spent those 10 hours doing things that you think the ideal version of yourself should have be doing? Or would have spent those 10 hours just fucking around?

I think that finding something you care enough about that you’ll volitionally put effort into it 4-5 days a week for years is quite rare. Sometimes I think to myself ‘holy shit I found something I genuinely enjoy doing that isn’t staring at a screen or self destructive’ and feel lucky. Some people will never find that.
That is pretty true. My life sucks and is pretty depressing now and will probably stay that way forever, but it was worse before I started lifting. I used to just sit around and eat Dino Nuggies and shitpost on 4chan and fry my brain with all kinds of dumbass shit. It at the very least gave the confidence to go outside without some regularity, even if I don't talk to anyone.

I honestly find it surreal I ever pulled 445lbs. It's like my game glitched or something. Shit wasn't supposed to happen, but it somehow did.

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:52 pm

EggMcMuffin wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:32 pm
OverheadDeadlifts wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:23 pm

That is pretty true. My life sucks and is pretty depressing now and will probably stay that way forever, but it was worse before I started lifting. I used to just sit around and eat Dino Nuggies and shitpost on 4chan and fry my brain with all kinds of dumbass shit. It at the very least gave the confidence to go outside without some regularity, even if I don't talk to anyone.

I honestly find it surreal I ever pulled 445lbs. It's like my game glitched or something. Shit wasn't supposed to happen, but it somehow did.
if it's going to suck, at least make it interesting.

dont let it suck in a boring way.

go do stand up comedy at an open mic night. steal dane cook jokes. wear a fedora and 4 leather bracelets. live stream it.