Favorite “Holding Pattern” Programs

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

OrderInChaos

Favorite “Holding Pattern” Programs

Post by OrderInChaos » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:30 am

What are your preferred approaches for times you’re in a lifting holding pattern and either don’t care or can’t afford to spend much time and thought on lifting?

I like 50/20 type approaches like @Testiclaw has discussed before. I tend to do better with minimalist lift selection and higher frequencies (4 day split with TBDL Mon Thu and Bench Tu Fro, instead of an OLAD with all four lifts)

Top set of {1, 2, or 3} followed by 3x6-8 for one lift a day can be a nice “productive feeling” session without being too aggressive or time consuming.

Same idea but with a handful of Hanley rep ranges to cycle through can be fun, especially the lower intensity sets across stuff.

I’ve been messing with a HIT/RPT hybrid that’s pretty time efficient. Working up to a top set of 3-6 at “kinda hard” with a more advantaged variant, then a middle set of 8-12 with a less advantaged variant, then a final AMRAP with either lighter or a third variant up to 12-20.

Something like BP 245 X 5 - CGBP 185 X 10 - Feet Up BP 155 X fail (20-25).

I can get through a compound in ~10min with that not counting the general session warmup. Not going to win any meets soon but leaves time for some vanity work in that session (bis tris calves for the win) and plenty of recovery on the table to execute on my Pete Plan rowing, running sporadically, and body weight stuff like Recon Ron.

What are some of your all’s time hacks and systems with the same goals in mind?

5hout

Re: Favorite “Holding Pattern” Programs

Post by 5hout » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:26 am

Day 1: Squat, ~4 ascending sets of ~5 reps. 1 non-main lift activity like lat pulldowns ~10-12 reps
Day 2: Bench, ~4 ascending sets of ~5 reps. A different 1 non-main lift activity like ez bar curls ~10-12 reps
Day 3: Deadlift, ~4 ascending sets of ~3 reps. A still different 1 non-main lift activity like muscle snatches ~10-12 reps

If you go more than a few days, reset to Day 1. If you lift 4 or more days in the week, simple repeat day 1/2/3 again. If you have extra time do 2 non-main lifts on a day. Do everything heavy enough to be interesting, but snappy. Since there is no warming up this works on the ascending sets super well.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:35 pm

5hout wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:26 am Day 1: Squat, ~4 ascending sets of ~5 reps. 1 non-main lift activity like lat pulldowns ~10-12 reps
Day 2: Bench, ~4 ascending sets of ~5 reps. A different 1 non-main lift activity like ez bar curls ~10-12 reps
Day 3: Deadlift, ~4 ascending sets of ~3 reps. A still different 1 non-main lift activity like muscle snatches ~10-12 reps

If you go more than a few days, reset to Day 1. If you lift 4 or more days in the week, simple repeat day 1/2/3 again. If you have extra time do 2 non-main lifts on a day. Do everything heavy enough to be interesting, but snappy. Since there is no warming up this works on the ascending sets super well.
I’ve done the same thing a few times, but with 10s, both as a break from lifting heavy and as a reminder that I actually won’t die. Usually do two big lifts on one day, though; with the (initial) lighter weight, it’s not an issue.

50/20 beat the fucking shit out of me. I liked the concept but it’s not at all something that I can do when I don’t care.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:22 pm

DCR wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:35 pm I’ve done the same thing a few times, but with 10s, both as a break from lifting heavy and as a reminder that I actually won’t die. Usually do two big lifts on one day, though; with the (initial) lighter weight, it’s not an issue.

50/20 beat the fucking shit out of me. I liked the concept but it’s not at all something that I can do when I don’t care.
Yeah, I like the idea of 10s as well. I just cannot squat 20 reps without something going numb. Maybe it's weak form or focus or back, but by 15 at least 1 arm is asleep. No SuperSquats for me I guess.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:47 am

When I get burned out on something, I usually just cut a lot of the time consuming stuff out and just do a main lift with a variation and do a bit of a powerbuilding scheme. Can be as easy as doing a 10/8/6/4 rotation on SBD or the Big 4 and keeping things light and maybe a variation to accompany each of them. Best to do something you've never tried before either (using bands, pins, different grip or ROM). If it's not fun or enjoyable it's going to be hard to force yourself to do it bottom line.

AlanMackey

Post by AlanMackey » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:21 am

OrderInChaos wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:30 am What are your preferred approaches for times you’re in a lifting holding pattern and either don’t care or can’t afford to spend much time and thought on lifting?

I like 50/20 type approaches like @Testiclaw has discussed before. I tend to do better with minimalist lift selection and higher frequencies (4 day split with TBDL Mon Thu and Bench Tu Fro, instead of an OLAD with all four lifts)

Top set of {1, 2, or 3} followed by 3x6-8 for one lift a day can be a nice “productive feeling” session without being too aggressive or time consuming.

Same idea but with a handful of Hanley rep ranges to cycle through can be fun, especially the lower intensity sets across stuff.

I’ve been messing with a HIT/RPT hybrid that’s pretty time efficient. Working up to a top set of 3-6 at “kinda hard” with a more advantaged variant, then a middle set of 8-12 with a less advantaged variant, then a final AMRAP with either lighter or a third variant up to 12-20.

Something like BP 245 X 5 - CGBP 185 X 10 - Feet Up BP 155 X fail (20-25).

I can get through a compound in ~10min with that not counting the general session warmup. Not going to win any meets soon but leaves time for some vanity work in that session (bis tris calves for the win) and plenty of recovery on the table to execute on my Pete Plan rowing, running sporadically, and body weight stuff like Recon Ron.

What are some of your all’s time hacks and systems with the same goals in mind?
I know they are not exactly popular on this forum, but Pavel Tsatsouline and Dan John’s stuff is exactly what I do when I need a break.
Last edited by AlanMackey on Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:11 pm

3x5 Squat/Overhead Press one session (because both need a rack and I set the safeties at the same height) and 3x5 Deadlift/Bench the other (because you don't need anything for a deadlift and you can use either a rack or a bench station for bench). You probably won't progress much but it's quick and dead simple.

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:52 pm

Throw shit together. Cut out post compound lifts if short on time

Day 1

Maybe leg curls prior 3-4x10-20@8-10

Squat 2-3x4-5@7-8, 2-3x8-10@7-8

1-2 leg exercises for 3-4x8-15@7-9 (@8-9 for isolation)

Day 2
Bench 2-3x4-5@7-8, 3-4x6-10@7-8

Bench variation 3-5x8-12@7-9 (@9 for 10-12 isolation or less systemic fatigue exercise)

Day 3

Deadlift or deadlift variation 1-3x3-5@7-8, 2-4x6-10@7-8

Lat lift 3-4x8-15@8-9
Row 3-4x8-15@8-9

Day 4

Bench variation of press 3-4x8-10@7-8
Squat variation 3-4x8-15@7-8

Whatever accessory I feel like 3-5x8-15@8-9

DCR

Post by DCR » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:14 pm

AlanMackey wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:21 am I know they are not exactly popular on this forum, but Pavel Tsatsouline and Dan John’s stuff is exactly what I do when I need a break.
IIRC correctly, Dan John is a 50/20 proponent. I always assumed (with no real evidence, I guess) that Pavel was a grifter, but I’ve thought Dan’s stuff made sense at least in theory. I never tried any of it because it’s a bit unstructured and doesn’t work with me mentally, but other than his odd turn into complexes, it’s all basic stuff. I always liked his quote that lifting heavy weights a few times or light weights a lot of times won’t get you big, but lifting heavy weights a lot of times will.

cole

Post by cole » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:05 pm

OrderInChaos wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:30 am What are your preferred approaches for times you’re in a lifting holding pattern and either don’t care or can’t afford to spend much time and thought on lifting?

this is where basic SS programming comes in handy

A
Squat - 3x5
Bench - 3x5
chins - 3x5

B
Squat - 3x5
press - 3x5
DL - 1x5

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:36 am

A few 'heavy' singles/ sets to a RPE of @7-9 twice/ week is my preferred 'holding pattern', which on reflection I've been in for the past two years since a back injury.

I've maintained 90-95% top end strength in the 3 lifts with it.

AlanMackey

Post by AlanMackey » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:24 am

cole wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:05 pm

A
Squat - 3x5
Bench - 3x5
chins - 3x5

B
Squat - 3x5
press - 3x5
DL - 1x5
SS is not a bad program. Its forced and agressive progression is.

That same program, following a structured wave loading intersession protocol (say, five steps forward and four steps back) and maybe loosely using RPE so you never, ever get past @8-9 might be worth a try.

cole

Post by cole » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:03 am

AlanMackey wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:24 am
cole wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:05 pm

A
Squat - 3x5
Bench - 3x5
chins - 3x5

B
Squat - 3x5
press - 3x5
DL - 1x5
SS is not a bad program. Its forced and agressive progression is.

That same program, following a structured wave loading intersession protocol (say, five steps forward and four steps back) and maybe loosely using RPE so you never, ever get past @8-9 might be worth a try.
well....if you are going to use a wave loading approach and then throw in RPE also, you may as well use a more effective program. the point i was trying to make is that if i dont want to think at all, and i just want to go through the motions for a while, i would just use some real baseline weights and do days A and B over and over again. once i start thinking about progression, wave loading, RPE, and wanting to get stronger, I go to a BBM or DDS type program.

OrderInChaos

Post by OrderInChaos » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:25 am

That’s not a bad point.

There are a lot of programs that would work totally fine if you just throw away their shit ass progression model, whether a sorta BB split deal, PL oriented U/L, etc.

Probably more issues arise from trying to progress with “just add 5” than due to split.

I definitely dig the rest pause and RPT style shit for quick sessions that don’t feel totally devoid of value. Some other solid AF ideas here too!

FredM

Post by FredM » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:56 pm

Alan Thrall had a good video about time efficiency as a father of 1/2. I like to pick 1/2 main lifts for the day on a 3 day/wk program and have the assistances (or the two main lifts) be the same setup so I can just jump right into working sets. I kind of have fun optimizing for time so even if I'm not making progress I feel like I'm "making progress" on efficiency while still getting in a pretty good workout.

E.G. days:

BP ramping 1-3 reps until @8, slingshot 3-4 sets @8 with the same weight
DL 3-5@7, RDLs 3x8 (obviously taking off some plates first)

or

OHP 8m density
Squats (any variation with the same bar starting with the weight on OHP for warmup)
Turkish Getups supersetted with One leg RDL or BSS with the same kettlebell

or

Weighted Dips/Weighted Chins superset with the same weight 5 sets @7-8
Hip Thrusts (my dip bar gets in the way of doing a squat variation so this is a good day to setup for hip thrusts. I like to use the bench to rest the plates/dip belt and have plenty of time to setup the bench/bar/blocks while resting between sets of the former).