Experiences on BBM Templates

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

OverheadDeadlifts

Re: Experiences on BBM Templates

Post by OverheadDeadlifts » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:50 pm

brkriete wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:33 am
James wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:07 am They use a mix of RPE and percentages. Like 1@8 then do 5x5 with 70% of e1rm or 5@6,5@7,5@8 repeat @8 with for 2x5.
I know this is just an example but every time I see a "prescription" like the latter it makes my eye twitch. Do people keep a laptop in the gym with Excel open? (to say nothing of the endless questions around "should I adjust weight / rest time / whatever to get the right RPE?").
I just kept an image of Tuchscherer’s RPE percentages chart in my photos and used my phones calculator if I ever needed to shoot for RPE’s. For example divide the single @8 by 0.92 for e1rm then multiply that by 0.79 for a rough estimate of 5@7. After a few weeks you’ll have most of the percentages memorised so it takes like 5 seconds to calculate it.

alek

Post by alek » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:16 pm

About the BBM app: can you export your workout to some type of text for logging on obscure the best strength training forums?

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:53 pm

alek wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:16 pm About the BBM app: can you export your workout to some type of text for logging on obscure the best strength training forums?
Are you thinking about ditching JuggAI for BBM templates?

alek

Post by alek » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:11 pm

JohnHelton wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:53 pm
alek wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:16 pm About the BBM app: can you export your workout to some type of text for logging on obscure the best strength training forums?
I’m wavering on using the JuggAI app through to the meet; I skipped all of next week’s deload workouts in the app to see the Peaking Block workouts, and it didn’t seem too inspiring.

But! No, I’m not switching to bbm templates. Their app does allow you to enter your own workouts—and saves them indefinitely—and tracks weight, umbilicus, session rpe, e1rms, etc. over time. I was thinking of using it as my logging apparatus, and I was hoping there was an easy trick to get a presentable session log to post here.

It’s okay if it doesn’t; I’ve been reading off my sessions from the JuggAI app since May.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:49 am

alek wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:11 pm
I’m wavering on using the JuggAI app through to the meet; I skipped all of next week’s deload workouts in the app to see the Peaking Block workouts, and it didn’t seem too inspiring.

But! No, I’m not switching to bbm templates. Their app does allow you to enter your own workouts—and saves them indefinitely—and tracks weight, umbilicus, session rpe, e1rms, etc. over time. I was thinking of using it as my logging apparatus, and I was hoping there was an easy trick to get a presentable session log to post here.

It’s okay if it doesn’t; I’ve been reading off my sessions from the JuggAI app since May.
I use the Strong app for logging. It is really good for that. Easy export too.

alek

Post by alek » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:42 pm

JohnHelton wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:49 am
alek wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:11 pm

I use the Strong app for logging. It is really good for that. Easy export too.
Thanks for the recommendation.

perman

Post by perman » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:47 am

James wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:07 am They use a mix of RPE and percentages. Like 1@8 then do 5x5 with 70% of e1rm or 5@6,5@7,5@8 repeat @8 with for 2x5.
I know this is just an example but every time I see a "prescription" like the latter it makes my eye twitch. Do people keep a laptop in the gym with Excel open? (to say nothing of the endless questions around "should I adjust weight / rest time / whatever to get the right RPE?").
Weird necro incoming, but I just finished up building a program builder template (part of the ATS2 bundle). It was 4 MB big, so it's too big to run quickly with data traffic via Google Drive on my phone. So I spent some time now removing unused rows and reduced it to 240 kB. Now it can be used via a shortcut on my home screen on my cell phone with not too much hassle.

It was a pain in the ass to both make the document and make it ready for google drive, but this is a viable solution if you want something plug and play without paying much for it.

This allows me to have strength schemes on squats/deads/bench/pause squats. hypertrophy schemes on rdls/presses, higher reps on db presses, etc.
It profoundly pisses me off when you have a template with something like a secondary squat slot in the spreadsheet, and you choose pause squats cause you don't have access to ssb or belt squats, and you get sets of 8 automatically no matter what. In BBM templates particularly there is a hidden tab called "programming skeleton" that is password protected, and you cannot override moronic set/rep schemes for your chosen assistance exercises.

In an ideal world, the logger apps I've tried would have a user friendly way to create training blocks without too much work. Cause even the program builder lacks certain options. I would like straight RPE-based work for certain exercises for instance, different percentage schemes for other exercises, and something braindead like 3-4 sets of 8-12 for db press variants. This shouldn't be that hard to write yourself in an app IMO.

DCR

Post by DCR » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:59 pm

perman wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:47 am
Weird necro incoming, but I just finished up building a program builder template (part of the ATS2 bundle). It was 4 MB big, so it's too big to run quickly with data traffic via Google Drive on my phone. So I spent some time now removing unused rows and reduced it to 240 kB. Now it can be used via a shortcut on my home screen on my cell phone with not too much hassle.

It was a pain in the ass to both make the document and make it ready for google drive, but this is a viable solution if you want something plug and play without paying much for it.

This allows me to have strength schemes on squats/deads/bench/pause squats. hypertrophy schemes on rdls/presses, higher reps on db presses, etc.
It profoundly pisses me off when you have a template with something like a secondary squat slot in the spreadsheet, and you choose pause squats cause you don't have access to ssb or belt squats, and you get sets of 8 automatically no matter what. In BBM templates particularly there is a hidden tab called "programming skeleton" that is password protected, and you cannot override moronic set/rep schemes for your chosen assistance exercises.

In an ideal world, the logger apps I've tried would have a user friendly way to create training blocks without too much work. Cause even the program builder lacks certain options. I would like straight RPE-based work for certain exercises for instance, different percentage schemes for other exercises, and something braindead like 3-4 sets of 8-12 for db press variants. This shouldn't be that hard to write yourself in an app IMO.
Lol at pause squats for 8s. Fuck all the way off with that.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:26 pm

What's wrong with sets if 8 pause squats?

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:38 pm

my personal favorite BBM program exercise selection + rep scheme combination is 3-0-3 tempo squats for 10s

fuck that shit what a waste of time and effort

James

Post by James » Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:06 pm

Jordan is a madman if he thinks anyone will actually do 303s for 10s.

Like who hurt you man?

DCR

Post by DCR » Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:08 pm

Allentown wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:26 pm What's wrong with sets if 8 pause squats?
I’ve been doing them for 5s for a few weeks (and because I’m LPing them, started light to give myself some runway) and have been sore nearly the entire time, sometimes cripplingly so. Usually when I do anything high frequency, the soreness fades after a few sessions. Not happening.

So big no thanks to 8s.

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:35 pm

janoycresva wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:38 pm my personal favorite BBM program exercise selection + rep scheme combination is 3-0-3 tempo squats for 10s

God those were fucking terrible. I wish I replaced those with split squats or leg press way earlier than I did.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:02 am

DCR wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:08 pm
Allentown wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:26 pm What's wrong with sets if 8 pause squats?
I’ve been doing them for 5s for a few weeks (and because I’m LPing them, started light to give myself some runway) and have been sore nearly the entire time, sometimes cripplingly so. Usually when I do anything high frequency, the soreness fades after a few sessions. Not happening.

So big no thanks to 8s.
How often did you do exercises with sets >8 reps before that?
I do sets 12-20 reps with some regularity and didn't really have much trouble with the higher rep things on the BBM template I did. Paused squats were only sets of 6 on mine though.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:59 am

janoycresva wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:38 pm my personal favorite BBM program exercise selection + rep scheme combination is 3-0-3 tempo squats for 10s

agreed, that would seem to be just some crossfit type thinking: just see if you can do it, to say you did it.

I don't know what end result, interim adaptation, and/or what that scheme would be setting up something for down the road.

dw

Post by dw » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:46 am

I think they're just really big on close variations of SBD, and there are only so many.

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:14 am

mbasic wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:59 am

agreed, that would seem to be just some crossfit type thinking: just see if you can do it, to say you did it.

I don't know what end result, interim adaptation, and/or what that scheme would be setting up something for down the road.
It was in the context of The Bridge and I think the first 12-week strength template, so the other two squat movement slots were pretty normal. The 3rd one was just volume with a higher rep range.

5-3-0 for sets of 10 on a pivot week pissed me off too so I just never did them.

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:44 pm

Allentown wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:02 am
DCR wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:08 pm

So big no thanks to 8s.
How often did you do exercises with sets >8 reps before that?
I do sets 12-20 reps with some regularity and didn't really have much trouble with the higher rep things on the BBM template I did. Paused squats were only sets of 6 on mine though.
On compound movements, little to none; was getting my volume from sets rather than reps. So yeah, I’m sure that hasn’t helped.

It’s likely also a function of the pauses permitting me to force perfect reps, as opposed to my “normal” squats where half the reps my hips are all over the place. I may actually be using muscles that hadn’t been used much, due to rough form / over reliance on a bad pattern.

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:51 pm

mbasic wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:59 am agreed, that would seem to be just some crossfit type thinking: just see if you can do it, to say you did it.

I have no idea either, I don't think it was very well thought out.

Is it to reinforce technique by doing tempo work? If so, what's the sense in doing 10s? It won't be specific to heavy loads (the C.G of the bar+lifter changes pretty significantly between my 1rm and whatever I can do for 10 rep 3-0-3 tempo squats) and it's so demanding on cardio if you do an honest 3 second eccentric and concentric that your technique will probably go to shit anyway.

Is it for hypertrophy? If so, why choose such a completely fucking miserable approach? I got visibly more hypertrophy out of 3 sets of leg extensions for a few weeks than I did out of weeks of tempo squatting and that took like 1/100th of the effort.

Anyone know if they're still doing this in their latest iterations of the program? I would imagine the feedback was near universally negative for these.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:36 pm

janoycresva wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:51 pm Anyone know if they're still doing this in their latest iterations of the program? I would imagine the feedback was near universally negative for these.
It's a function of the exercise selection/swapping not interacting with the rep/set schemes of the programming.
I actually put together a programming spreadsheet at one point that would dynamically adjust the reps/sets based of things like how a lift variation would impact the loading, and I'm not too bright so I know they could pay someone to properly implement it.
Like, if you change "leg press" to "front squats" it should automatically get rid of the suggestion of "4 sets of 15-20 reps."