The Russia vs Ukraine show

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Hiphopapotamus

Re: The Russia vs Ukraine show

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:51 am

quikky wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:26 am Putin announced the annexation today and now...

Zelensky announced Ukraine's application for accelerated NATO membership.

Well played, Ukraine.
Looks like Ukraine has decided to celebrate the annexation of their territory but un-annexing Lyman and Yampil.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:45 pm

I think Russia is on to something here. This whole annex territory and threaten nuclear war...brilliant.

The problem is they are not thinking big enough. Don't stop at just annexing portions of UKR. Shit, they already bombed the shit out of those places. Russia should annex everything and threaten nuclear war. We should all be citizens of Russia by now.

quikky

Post by quikky » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:34 am

Hiphopapotamus wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:51 am
quikky wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:26 am Putin announced the annexation today and now...

Well played, Ukraine.
Looks like Ukraine has decided to celebrate the annexation of their territory but un-annexing Lyman and Yampil.
The Russians have retreated from Lyman today.

Has there ever in history been a retreat from annexed territory literally a day after it was "officially" annexed? Putin must be approaching stage 4 of the clown make up meme.

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:23 am

quikky wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:34 am
Hiphopapotamus wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:51 am

Well played, Ukraine.
The Russians have retreated from Lyman today.

Has there ever in history been a retreat from annexed territory literally a day after it was "officially" annexed? Putin must be approaching stage 4 of the clown make up meme.

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:36 am

There's finally been a breakthrough in the Kherson front, up in the northern portion along the river. AFU are driving towards the Russian ferry locations along the riverbank. In the Lyman area they're also expanding their beachheads over the Oskil and driving towards the line Svatove-Kreminna in Luhansk.

quikky

Post by quikky » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:52 am

Hiphopapotamus wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:36 am There's finally been a breakthrough in the Kherson front, up in the northern portion along the river. AFU are driving towards the Russian ferry locations along the riverbank. In the Lyman area they're also expanding their beachheads over the Oskil and driving towards the line Svatove-Kreminna in Luhansk.
Lol: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ukraine- ... 28660.html

Perhaps soon the "annexed" territories will simply be within real Russian borders.

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:57 am

quikky wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:52 am
Hiphopapotamus wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:36 am There's finally been a breakthrough in the Kherson front, up in the northern portion along the river. AFU are driving towards the Russian ferry locations along the riverbank. In the Lyman area they're also expanding their beachheads over the Oskil and driving towards the line Svatove-Kreminna in Luhansk.
Lol: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ukraine- ... 28660.html

Perhaps soon the "annexed" territories will simply be within real Russian borders.
Either that or the new borders will include the continental US. Hope I don't get called up...

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:12 pm

The situation is more dire than we thought. Russia may be losing the support of of Fox News:

Russian troops boxed in by Ukrainian forces and Dnieper River, barge carrying supplies to Russian troops sinks

quikky

Post by quikky » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:48 pm

Hiphopapotamus wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:12 pm The situation is more dire than we thought. Russia may be losing the support of of Fox News:

Russian troops boxed in by Ukrainian forces and Dnieper River, barge carrying supplies to Russian troops sinks
If Ukraine pulls this off it will be the worst catastrophe for Russia in the whole war. Kherson has a lot of Russian forces, and if they really end up cut off with no way to retreat, it will either be a mass surrender, like thousands and thousands of troops, or a bloodbath. I guess the third option is if they are cut off from supplies completely, spilling more blood might become unnecessary.

51M0N

Post by 51M0N » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:53 pm

Hiphopapotamus wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:12 pm The situation is more dire than we thought. Russia may be losing the support of of Fox News:

"Attempts to establish an alternative crossing over the River Dnieper near Nova Kakhovka and Kozatske were unsuccessful," the command said. "A barge carrying weapons, equipment and military personnel joined the occupiers’ underwater fleet."
Lol

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:05 am

quikky wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:48 pmIf Ukraine pulls this off it will be the worst catastrophe for Russia in the whole war. Kherson has a lot of Russian forces, and if they really end up cut off with no way to retreat, it will either be a mass surrender, like thousands and thousands of troops, or a bloodbath. I guess the third option is if they are cut off from supplies completely, spilling more blood might become unnecessary.
I read that UKR’s main strategic goal is to seperatw the Russians into two forces (north and south) that can’t support one another. Which they are close to accomplishing strategically. Then UKR will open a third front to the middle and drive to Maripol.

I think winter is the only thing that will stop UKR.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:00 am

aurelius wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:05 am I think winter is the only thing that will stop UKR.
Maybe UKR can't make a big push "forward", but I wonder how that winter-thing bodes for the RUS forces in-country ? ..... they simply die in place unable to be reinforced or resupplied .... and/or unable to retreat or mobilize around so easily?

I wonder if the air power has more of an effect over in the winter?

Gas prices are gonna skyrocket!

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:21 am

Elon Musk weighs in and most likely has drawn the ire of Ukraine.

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:56 am

aurelius wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:05 am
quikky wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:48 pmIf Ukraine pulls this off it will be the worst catastrophe for Russia in the whole war. Kherson has a lot of Russian forces, and if they really end up cut off with no way to retreat, it will either be a mass surrender, like thousands and thousands of troops, or a bloodbath. I guess the third option is if they are cut off from supplies completely, spilling more blood might become unnecessary.
I read that UKR’s main strategic goal is to seperatw the Russians into two forces (north and south) that can’t support one another. Which they are close to accomplishing strategically. Then UKR will open a third front to the middle and drive to Maripol.

I think winter is the only thing that will stop UKR.
Agreed, though I think winter may actually provide Ukraine some opportunities as well. I think they're going to be much better equipped to handle winter, while Russia will be deploying thousands of recent call-ups without proper clothes or equipment and a strong desire to frag their own officers, so I wouldn't be surprised to see UKR launch other offensive operations. In the meantime, it looks like the northern portion of the Kherson front is completely collapsing. I think they want to destroy as much of the professional army as possible, as quickly as possible, and invade glorious Russian homeland liberate as much territory as they can before the muddy season*.

*Is this still a thing or has it disappeared due to climate change? It's early October but every video I see still looks sunny and dry.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:02 am

SnakePlissken wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:21 amElon Musk weighs in and most likely has drawn the ire of Ukraine.
huge eye roll. Musk is such a troll and offering a Russian apologist ‘reasonable’ solution.

UKR should make zero concessions to the Russians they do not want to. The Russians lost that ‘right’ when they invaded. Hold elections for their sovereign territory? Just give Russia Crimea? Remain neutral? 😂

quikky

Post by quikky » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:40 pm

aurelius wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:02 am
SnakePlissken wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:21 amElon Musk weighs in and most likely has drawn the ire of Ukraine.
huge eye roll. Musk is such a troll and offering a Russian apologist ‘reasonable’ solution.

UKR should make zero concessions to the Russians they do not want to. The Russians lost that ‘right’ when they invaded. Hold elections for their sovereign territory? Just give Russia Crimea? Remain neutral? 😂
Ukrainian officials had some proper responses:

And, of course:

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:45 pm

Elon proves himself daily to be a bigger piece of shit.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:13 pm

I wish he would just just focus on SpaceX. Rockets are awesome, and I think Starship has the capacity to change humanity in ways that we can't even imagine right now. But no, he spends his spare brain cycles on Twitter and Mearsheimeresque IR realism musings.

His posts about Ukraine would have been stupid and uninformed if they were made back in June, when it looked like Ukraine might be losing. Now though, with Ukraine on the precipice of routing Russia, the Russian military self-immolating, and all this evidence of how the Russian military is propagating unimaginable war crimes in every area that it has temporarily controlled, Musk's comments are just ludicrous. This is like the biggest example of the Dunning Kruger Effect in action that I've ever seen.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:45 am

omaniphil wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:13 pm This is like the biggest example of the Dunning Kruger Effect in action that I've ever seen.
Just FYI, turns out DK was never a thing ...

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:07 pm

mbasic wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:45 am
omaniphil wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:13 pm This is like the biggest example of the Dunning Kruger Effect in action that I've ever seen.
Just FYI, turns out DK was never a thing ...
Source?
I have read that the phenomenon of those at the low performance end of a cognitive task overestimating their performance (call it DK phenomenon) is undisputedly a thing, but the causes of this are in some degree of dispute.