Fifty 420

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

SnakePlissken

Re: Fifty 420

Post by SnakePlissken » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:48 am

mgil wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:31 am
JonA wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:04 am Is anyone else entertained by watching people pay $8 to get banned by Twitter?
It’s a wonderful shitshow.
Really wondering how Twitter is going to be viable either way. Maybe the worst of humanity will keep it afloat with the new $8 thing, but you couldn't pay me to make an account or visit that site. There's no theme other than blurting out your inner thoughts that nobody else needs/wants to hear anyway.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:42 pm

SnakePlissken wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:48 am
JonA wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:04 am Is anyone else entertained by watching people pay $8 to get banned by Twitter?
Really wondering how Twitter is going to be viable either way. Maybe the worst of humanity will keep it afloat with the new $8 thing, but you couldn't pay me to make an account or visit that site. There's no theme other than blurting out your inner thoughts that nobody else needs/wants to hear anyway.
That sounds like a basic summary of the internet, honestly. Being totally private now, no one will really know what the books look like unless he decides to go public again.

JonA

Post by JonA » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:11 pm

I hope whoever spoofed Ely Lilly and tanked their stock has a good lawyer...

But also... lol at anybody who sold stock because of a tweet.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:34 am

Hardartery wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:42 pm
That sounds like a basic summary of the internet, honestly. Being totally private now, no one will really know what the books look like unless he decides to go public again.
At least sites like this have a theme of discussion though. We all lift weights and discuss them here, but what is Twitter's theme? Basically "im gonna tell the world something random" or "let me light a fire with this tweet"

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:19 am

SnakePlissken wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:34 am
Hardartery wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:42 pm
At least sites like this have a theme of discussion though. We all lift weights and discuss them here, but what is Twitter's theme? Basically "im gonna tell the world something random" or "let me light a fire with this tweet"
Is that really a lot different than the Instagram and TikTok stuff? just shooting for a slightly different demographic. And the other side if that is, I don't think $8 for a blue check is the only change in store. As insane as Elon seems to be, he seems to be pretty good at doing stuff that enough people like to form a hardcore cult following. That's really what drove Tesla more than anything. If he manages to add half the features he's talked about to that app, it will be a different animal and it's hard to predict where that goes. In the meantime it let's everyone loonie from every other platform come and push the boundaries. There's no such thing as bad publicity, or so I've heard.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:07 am

Sounds like Elon might try to turn Twitter into a bank? He tried to, as a “founder”, turn PayPal into a social media platform. That didn’t pan out.

I do think that he knows:

1. Tesla is going to have some massive profit issues as mainstream car makers begin making electric cars in earnest. People enjoy the idea of having a reliable and serviceable vehicle.

2. SpaceX. I have no idea what’s afoot at space force, but I’m not convinced that there’s a sustainable business model for this company. It’s exciting stuff, but I don’t know where the future lies for this business. Maybe something he knows is making him look elsewhere for funds?

At least this Twitter stuff is getting more people to actually examine who/what this knucklehead is.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:09 am

JonA wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:11 pm I hope whoever spoofed Ely Lilly and tanked their stock has a good lawyer...

I’m pretty sure that any suits will also name Twitter as a defendant as well. I mean, it was their change in policy that allowed for this to happen.

JonA

Post by JonA » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:10 pm

mgil wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:09 am
JonA wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:11 pm I hope whoever spoofed Ely Lilly and tanked their stock has a good lawyer...

I’m pretty sure that any suits will also name Twitter as a defendant as well. I mean, it was their change in policy that allowed for this to happen.
I'd assume Twitter would already have a pretty decent set of lawyers.

I'm not sure I agree that they "allowed" this to happen. It's always been against their TOS to impersonate people and they banned that one pretty quickly. But it would be interesting to see how that tweet actually escalated and how (if it even did) it managed to affect the stock price.

One does not simply walk into Mordor write a viral tweet to crash a stock. People follow twitter handles, not display names. It simply won't show up in peoples feeds unless a) they are already following that twitter handle or b) something external focuses attention on the account/tweet, causing it to "trend".

I could see a celebrity or famous person able to switch their display name and post something and get it to trend. But a brand new account? It seems like that the user would also have to employ a bot farm or similar to get their tweet to trend.

The other scenario I can see is that the stock was already tanking, somebody quick signed up a Twitter account to capitalize and claim credit, and then posted it on Reddit for the memes.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:38 am

I don't get everyone complaining how twitter 'X' is worse now ....like the platform/app or function of it.

Its the same fucking thing (to me).

What am I missing?

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:45 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:38 am I don't get everyone complaining how twitter 'X' is worse now ....like the platform/app or function of it.

What am I missing?
Worse than the business decision to buy Twitter is to rebrand it. Twitter had become part of the cultural lexicon. We all know what a Tweet is. Brands kill for that kind of recognition. With the branding in place Musk had room to fight off the numerous Twitter clones (think threads). Now X is just another bullshit app which can be replaced by another bullshit app. Not to mention X is terrible branding. X is going to be an everything app that does your banking? :lol:

I think it is just fun to watch Musk to fully drive this thing into the ground. The more this Twitter thing goes the more I realize Musk is a petulant, immature, not-genius who has very thin skin and a huge ego.

DCR

Post by DCR » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:09 am

aurelius wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:45 am I think it is just fun to watch Musk to fully drive this thing into the ground. The more this Twitter thing goes the more I realize Musk is a petulant, immature, not-genius who has very thin skin and a huge ego.
This has been clear for at least a decade. In terms of being insufferable, the only people worse than Musk are his fanboys.

He’ll probably run for president at some point.

Culican

Post by Culican » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:35 am

DCR wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:09 am
aurelius wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:45 am I think it is just fun to watch Musk to fully drive this thing into the ground. The more this Twitter thing goes the more I realize Musk is a petulant, immature, not-genius who has very thin skin and a huge ego.
This has been clear for at least a decade. In terms of being insufferable, the only people worse than Musk are his fanboys.

We will be spared that. He was born in South Africa and is a naturalized U.S. Citizen.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:46 am

aurelius wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:45 am
mbasic wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:38 am I don't get everyone complaining how twitter 'X' is worse now ....like the platform/app or function of it.

What am I missing?
Worse than the business decision to buy Twitter is to rebrand it. Twitter had become part of the cultural lexicon. We all know what a Tweet is. Brands kill for that kind of recognition. With the branding in place Musk had room to fight off the numerous Twitter clones (think threads). Now X is just another bullshit app which can be replaced by another bullshit app. Not to mention X is terrible branding. X is going to be an everything app that does your banking? :lol:

I think it is just fun to watch Musk to fully drive this thing into the ground. The more this Twitter thing goes the more I realize Musk is a petulant, immature, not-genius who has very thin skin and a huge ego.
I gonna bet its not going to matter, whether we/you/they call it X or Twitter. Its still Twitter.

I (and many others) still call a "Ram" ... a Dodge truck

DCR

Post by DCR » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:46 am

Culican wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:35 am

We will be spared that. He was born in South Africa and is a naturalized U.S. Citizen.
Ah, that’s right, thank you. Some good news on a Monday.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:47 am

Culican wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:35 am

He really should go run for office over there; his homeland could use some leadership right now.

lol

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:32 am

Everybody that wealthy and famous is weird, and insufferable, except maybe Lionel Messi and Warren Buffet possibly. But they probably are too.
The re-brand should have been news to no one, the name and the plan have been out there for quite a few years, basically since they cashed out of Paypal. I think it is the same name essentially as Paypal started life with.

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:02 pm

aurelius wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:45 am

What am I missing?

Not to mention that "X" has always been the default name for "inferior product":

asdf

Post by asdf » Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:37 pm

mbasic wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:46 am I (and many others) still call a "Ram" ... a Dodge truck
I had no idea about the spin-off. Learn something new everyday.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:00 am

Bloomberg has just reported that X is trying to build an in-app trading hub, and are looking for a financial services partner for it. Interesting.

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:38 am

Hardartery wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:00 am Bloomberg has just reported that X is trying to build an in-app trading hub, and are looking for a financial services partner for it. Interesting.
I believe Elon's goal from the beginning was to build the financial platform he thinks Paypal or X.com could/should have been before he sold it. I think his primary purpose in buying twitter was for the mailing list.