Home gym equipment suggestions

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Hardartery

Re: Home gym equipment suggestions

Post by Hardartery » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:16 am

Renascent wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:32 am
Allentown wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:35 am Like, I'm all for consistency, and I love gym gear. And those would be cool for like, sissy squats and getting a sick quad pump, probably?
Bu I don't really think a special product is necessary to reach an arbitrary target.
It's probably not necessary, but I guess this could all circle back to the age-old argument about the muscular benefits of hitting "proper" depth.

Sure, if you're not competing, then it's probably not all that big of a deal to worry about where your hip crease ends up in the bottom of your squat. But, depending on the goal, the longest possible range of motion might be more desirable -- maybe moreso if you're trying to mitigate arthritis? I dunno.

Also, I reread Snake's original post and realized he was talking about actual shoes, which some might consider a little less superfluous than a wedge of some other sort. I guess if the most economical choice is the way to go, and a wedge is cheaper than a pair of Romaleos, then, sure, why not go that route?
FredM wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:52 amI’m hoping rogue puts their recently launched wedges on sale.
Me too.

As it is, I'd feel like an plumb asshole right now if another Rogue box showed up on my doorstep, with a hundred-dollar pair of triangles in it.
I'm all in for new tools. Of any kind, automotive, construction, gym, whatever. I'm in whenever I can be. So, I am going to say this coming from that point of view, full disclosure up front.
People have been squatting with their heel on a 2x4 or a couple of plates for at least 50 years that I am aware of, without concern for it being in a wedge shape. You don't actually need anything under the arch, it isn't touching the ground anyway. As far as flexibility and the benefits of full ROM, the deeper the better (I know, that's what she said). Sink it as low as you can if you aren't training for PL judging, and frankly it isn't going to hurt anything to sink 'em for at least some of the training either way. That stretch does carry over to adductor and glute development, and why would you not want that?
Separately, I agree that if a person lacks the mobility to sink it when flat footed on the floor, then barring medical complications (Like fused ankles, not much you can do there) you should fix that if you want long term comfort in daily life. Every bit of mobility you give up bites you in the ass as you age.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:30 pm

I wound up getting the squat wedges (these: https://www.amazon.com/Folaps-Elevated- ... r=8-5&th=1 ) and they are a game changer for me. I just did some "BW Front Squats" with cross arms as if I was front squatting and I can hit depth without thinking about it. I can feel my quads more doing more work with just BW than I can with anything on a LB or HB squat.

I'd recommend anyone with long legs that never feels it in their quads to give these a try.

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:59 pm

SnakePlissken wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:30 pm I wound up getting the squat wedges (these: https://www.amazon.com/Folaps-Elevated- ... r=8-5&th=1 ) and they are a game changer for me. I just did some "BW Front Squats" with cross arms as if I was front squatting and I can hit depth without thinking about it. I can feel my quads more doing more work with just BW than I can with anything on a LB or HB squat.

I'd recommend anyone with long legs that never feels it in their quads to give these a try.
I have something similar and I use them on belt squats sometimes, fucking lights my quads up like a christmas tree

BenM

Post by BenM » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:13 am

I got some cork squat wedges for $30 a few months back. Came from Amazon originally. They work absolutely fine, they're light and grippy, if they deteriorate I'll buy another pair. The Rogue ones are just not worth it to me, personally.