Police Reform Thread

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: Police Reform Thread

Post by mgil » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:01 am

https://www.fox19.com/2022/09/20/detain ... utType=amp

New tactics plus someone showing off their editing skills

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:59 am

mgil wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:01 am https://www.fox19.com/2022/09/20/detain ... utType=amp

New tactics plus someone showing off their editing skills
Here's the original video. Really messed up stuff considering I think every kid around Kindergarten or 1st grade learns railroad tracks are dangerous and the police just decided to park their car there with a person inside.

Crash happens a little after 5 minutes

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:51 am

mgil wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:01 am https://www.fox19.com/2022/09/20/detain ... utType=amp

New tactics
amazing.

demonstrates many aspects of the cop-mentality:

#1- the sheer stupidity, and recklessness locking that woman in a car on RxR tracks....sure.

#2 - I can drive, park, speed, etc where ever and whenever I want.
You'll see these dumbasses on the side of the road, with their red-n-blues on ..... you slow down, and finally get up there....
They don't even have a civilian pulled over (maybe they did at one point);
There's two cops (two patrol cars) shooting the shit about whatever....talking about the hot babe they just pulled over or whatever.
Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure one of the main killers of cops is getting hit on the side of the road while giving a ticket.
It probably never crossed that dude's mind not park his patrol car on RxR tracks, "im not gonna git in trouble"
plus someone showing off their editing skills
I award copious amounts of bonus points at 0:59 for slanting the text/captions at the same angle of the rando B-roll footage of the RxR tracks.

That's hot.

(0:59, in the embedded video of the article)

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:30 am

Since she lived I'd half expect the dept to spin it in such a way that their cruisers are so super safe you can literally get hit by a train and be okey dokey

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:00 pm

mouse wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:30 am Since she lived I'd half expect the dept to spin it in such a way that their cruisers are so super safe you can literally get hit by a train and be okey dokey
And give the train a ticket.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:51 am

Hiphopapotamus wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:00 pm And give the train a ticket.
KEEPING THE PUBLIC SAFE!

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:35 am

Hiphopapotamus wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:00 pm
mouse wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:30 am Since she lived I'd half expect the dept to spin it in such a way that their cruisers are so super safe you can literally get hit by a train and be okey dokey
More likely charge her with destruction of property for making them get their cruiser hit by a train.

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:53 am

mikeylikey wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:35 am
Hiphopapotamus wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:00 pm
More likely charge her with destruction of property for making them get their cruiser hit by a train.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:20 am

Mesa taxpayers will pay*

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:25 pm

BostonRugger wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:20 am

Mesa taxpayers will pay*
Last I heard, the senior cop (the one heard giving the ridiculous simon-says commands; which was not the shooter) fled to the phillipines or something.

The other cop (the shooter) files for unemployment/disability on the basis he now had PTSD (he obvs DNDTFP).

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:27 pm

Let us assume for the moment that the shooting was justified. He was shot 46 times. They're not using Hollywood movie mags. This means either 1 guy reloaded 3+ times, or 3-5 officers emptied their mags entirely. And that assumes 100% of the rounds hit, which of course they wouldn't. So more than 5 officers dumped their whole mags on him.

This speaks of a lack of command and co-ordination among the officers concerned. They could easily have ended up firing at one another, or failed to notice a second offender who'd then shoot back, and so on.

The most charitable thing you can say about all these police shootings in the US is that there's a definite lack of training, and consistent training.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/4/1 ... er-killing

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:57 pm

KyleSchuant wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:27 pm Let us assume for the moment that the shooting was justified. He was shot 46 times. They're not using Hollywood movie mags. This means either 1 guy reloaded 3+ times, or 3-5 officers emptied their mags entirely. And that assumes 100% of the rounds hit, which of course they wouldn't. So more than 5 officers dumped their whole mags on him.

This speaks of a lack of command and co-ordination among the officers concerned. They could easily have ended up firing at one another, or failed to notice a second offender who'd then shoot back, and so on.

The most charitable thing you can say about all these police shootings in the US is that there's a definite lack of training, and consistent training.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/4/1 ... er-killing
I disagree with your analysis of this shooting. 90 rounds were fired, which is a pretty good hit ratio as these things go. There were 8 officers firing. 8x17= 136, so assuming Glock 9 mms this was not a mag dump. I don't know how you like the people you think are going to shoot at you handled, but my preference is that they be shot until they clearly exhibit inability to shoot back, by anyone who has a clear line of fire. Whether they should have expected him to shoot at them or not I don't know, I was not there.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:13 pm

Yeah, that was a group panic mag dump.

“Multiple officers each making an independent judgment about a threat and acting independently to neutralise that threat creates a dynamic that amplifies the use of force exponentially,” the attorney general said.

They shouldn't be acting independently. They should work as a team. This is important whether the suspect is unarmed (as this guy was once he left the vehicle) and is as important when the suspect is armed. As I said, they could easily have ended up shooting at each-other or missing the presence of others in the vehicle. If visibility doesn't allow them to determine whether he has a weapon in his hands or not, then visibility doesn't allow them to properly identify other officers, or spot other suspects, etc. That's what teamwork and communication are for.

I'm looking at it through the perspective of previous military training with much looser rules of engagement than police (supposedly) operate under. These guys are clowns.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:46 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:13 pm Yeah, that was a group panic mag dump.

“Multiple officers each making an independent judgment about a threat and acting independently to neutralise that threat creates a dynamic that amplifies the use of force exponentially,” the attorney general said.

They shouldn't be acting independently. They should work as a team. This is important whether the suspect is unarmed (as this guy was once he left the vehicle) and is as important when the suspect is armed. As I said, they could easily have ended up shooting at each-other or missing the presence of others in the vehicle. If visibility doesn't allow them to determine whether he has a weapon in his hands or not, then visibility doesn't allow them to properly identify other officers, or spot other suspects, etc. That's what teamwork and communication are for.

I'm looking at it through the perspective of previous military training with much looser rules of engagement than police (supposedly) operate under. These guys are clowns.

Makes me think of the manhunt for the Boston Marathon bombers. Dozens of cops fired over three hundred total rounds in two separate incidents (one was a gunfight, one was just them lighting up a boat in a yard). They didn't kill either of the two.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:47 am

Oopsie

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:46 am

BostonRugger wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:47 am

Oopsie
Who's the "oopsie" for again? Not sure

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:40 am

mbasic wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:46 am

Oopsie
Primarily for the police who showed up at the wrong address and who seem to agree that their announcement of themselves wasn't effective.
In one of the videos released Friday, titled "officer 2," the slain man's wife can be heard screaming "Oh my God," before shots ring out. State police have said that she shot at officers, who also fired, before she realized they were police. No one was hit.
Some oopsie from the deceased as well. If I assume that he didn't know they were police, I still have to say say home defense plan sucked. Perhaps a "who is it?" would have helped.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:38 pm

BostonRugger wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:40 am
mbasic wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:46 am

Oopsie
Primarily for the police who showed up at the wrong address and who seem to agree that their announcement of themselves wasn't effective.
In one of the videos released Friday, titled "officer 2," the slain man's wife can be heard screaming "Oh my God," before shots ring out. State police have said that she shot at officers, who also fired, before she realized they were police. No one was hit.
Some oopsie from the deceased as well. If I assume that he didn't know they were police, I still have to say say home defense plan sucked. Perhaps a "who is it?" would have helped.
I mean, they were only investigating a Domestic Violence call (which I know can be one of the worst/most dangerous calls to show up on) ....
.....but for your average DV call, where they don't have a history on the occupants, they don't typically roll up lights ablaze, and use the police P.A-horn blaring: "THIS IS THE POLICE, COME OUT UNARMED WITH YOUR HANDS UP!!! ESTA ES LA POLICIA, SALGA SIN ARMAS CON LAS MANOS EN ALTO!!!".

... they typically just kinda knock on the door, and kinda semi-loudly announce: 'hey, this is the police...open up'....usually done without making a big scene.

But yeah, when a guy bursts from his front door with a pistol in high-ready position ....aiming. ima gonna shoota first.

EDIT:
let me think about the (probably senile and/or racist) 85 y.o. white guy who killed the 16 y.o. black HS band kid ringing his doorbell (mistakenly at the wrong place, like the Farmington cops) looking for his siblings ..... give me a minute, see if I can come up with something clever or edgy.

EDIT:
Farmington homeowner kinda sealed his own fate there.
Say if he happened to get a shot off, and the cops didn't kill him .... he's going to jail, right? For shooting at cops?
Say if he killed a cop, and say they didn't "kill him back" ...he's going to jail and/or getting the chair, right?

Racist and/ crazy 80 y.o. white guy? yes, should go to jail right?

Here's the kicker, say 16 y.o. black kid was a 21 y.o. with a legal firearm, and permit....looking for his siblings. Old crotchy white guy bursts from front door guns ablazing .... misses. Black kid returns fire in self defense. Whole thing is recorded on Ring-Bell-camera, plain as day clear case of self defense. Why are we mad at the cops again?

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:17 pm

mbasic wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:38 pmHere's the kicker, say 16 y.o. black kid was a 21 y.o. with a legal firearm, and permit....looking for his siblings. Old crotchy white guy bursts from front door guns ablazing .... misses. Black kid returns fire in self defense. Whole thing is recorded on Ring-Bell-camera, plain as day clear case of self defense. Why are we mad at the cops again?
This is all my opinion because SCOTUS has already ruled cops aren't about protecting and serving. LE 100% should take some risk on behalf of the public they ostensibly serve.

The officers in that situation should have taken the calculated risk of a fat guy exiting his home with a firearm. There were 3 cops all wearing body armor with clear shots if it went sideways. Somehow the officers were able to take the woman who actually shot at them alive. Someone please explain that to me. The police were at the wrong house for a DV. They should have taken a half second to try de-escalation before unloading their mags on the guy.

I don't think anyone is mad. Just tired of this nonsense. No one will be held accountable. Nothing will change. This will happen again. Probably next week. Qualified immunity is bullshit.

Thankfully the black kid is still alive.

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:48 pm

KyleSchuant wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:13 pm Yeah, that was a group panic mag dump.

Disagree that you can accidentally shoot the guy next to you because he is also shooting at the guy in front of you, but not worth arguing about.