What y'all reckon 'bout this JM press?

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

alek

What y'all reckon 'bout this JM press?

Post by alek » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:27 am

I just started doing this recently. I think I'm doing it right, but the internet says that no one besides JM himself can do it right.

What do you reckon?

Hardartery

Re: What y'all reckon 'bout this JM press?

Post by Hardartery » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:22 am

alek wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:27 am I just started doing this recently. I think I'm doing it right, but the internet says that no one besides JM himself can do it right.

What do you reckon?
Looks like a reasonable Version 2 to me, except I don't know how you are getting the bar that low. You are supposed to stop at the physical stop of your arms with the high elbow position, and not try to do any rotating or anything to let it come all the way down. Typically it stops several inches above the lifter, and I find that's how it is with me.

alek

Post by alek » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:32 am

Hardartery wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:22 am Looks like a reasonable Version 2 to me, except I don't know how you are getting the bar that low. You are supposed to stop at the physical stop of your arms with the high elbow position, and not try to do any rotating or anything to let it come all the way down. Typically it stops several inches above the lifter, and I find that's how it is with me.
From the lockout position, should my humerus be moving much, if at all, during the movement? Should I be actively trying to squeeze my pecs during the movement?

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:32 pm

alek wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:32 am
Hardartery wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:22 am Looks like a reasonable Version 2 to me, except I don't know how you are getting the bar that low. You are supposed to stop at the physical stop of your arms with the high elbow position, and not try to do any rotating or anything to let it come all the way down. Typically it stops several inches above the lifter, and I find that's how it is with me.
From the lockout position, should my humerus be moving much, if at all, during the movement? Should I be actively trying to squeeze my pecs during the movement?
Based entirely on the Blakely vid most recently put up on ElitFTS' Youtube (Which isn't that new at this point), he seems to be emphasizing keeping the elbows up as much as possible with a tight armposition. As in, close to the body, and then he drops the elbows slowly as the bar comes down until the forearm comes to a mechanical stop. So the bar is kind of just above the chin and you drop the elbows as minimally as you can and try to keep them unflared. The tricky part is not letting them kick out to the sides on the descent. I know when it's basically correct based on feels, as in I feels it quite a lot across the back of the elbow - enough to make me wonder if I'm triggering tendinitis or something on the first set. But by the second set it stops feeling iffy and I can still feel it across the elbows.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:46 pm

Movement looks okay. I’ve always been lost on why to use it when other stuff exists.

dw

Post by dw » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:17 pm

mgil wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:46 pm Movement looks okay. I’ve always been lost on why to use it when other stuff exists.

This. Tried it for a while before getting a commercial gym membership. Never felt that right or consistent or entirely safe when going to failure. Also elbows hurt.

I think it's conceived to have more direct carryover to bench.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:33 pm

mgil wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:46 pm Movement looks okay. I’ve always been lost on why to use it when other stuff exists.
When you hit it right it works a lot better than Skull Crushers and the elbows don't hurt afterwards. If you get it wrong it works the same as Skullcrushers. It's a finicky line though, I had to do them a couple of times to find it.

alek

Post by alek » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:55 pm

My bench is as stagnant as… well I don’t know what, but it’s pretty damn stagnant. I’m trying just about anything nowadays that may help, and I’ve never done JM press before.

I’m not having any pain with it, and I do seem to get a good pump with it. But uh… what other stuff you got?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:54 pm

alek wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:55 pm
My bench is as stagnant as… well I don’t know what, but it’s pretty damn stagnant. I’m trying just about anything nowadays that may help, and I’ve never done JM press before.

I’m not having any pain with it, and I do seem to get a good pump with it. But uh… what other stuff you got?
Do you have access to something to do standing triceps extensions? Those might help more for triceps size.

alek

Post by alek » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:58 pm

mgil wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:54 pm
alek wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:55 pm

Do you have access to something to do standing triceps extensions? Those might help more for triceps size.
Like overhead cable triceps extensions? I’ve done those a few times unilaterally, and I like them. I just have to do them super light—like around 20 pounds light.

I’ve also done triceps pushdowns, uni- and bi-laterally. I like those, too. Narrow grip, tricep focused pushups I’ve done as well.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:19 pm

@alek, so you’re trying to get momentum in the bench itself?

If that’s the case, maybe some narrow grip stuff. Possibly slingshot work too?

alek

Post by alek » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:46 pm

mgil wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:19 pm alek, so you’re trying to get momentum in the bench itself?
Yeah; I think I'm not getting stronger on the bench because my triceps are holding me back; hence the direct triceps work.

I've not failed a bench rep by being pinned on the chest in a long time; I can usually get the bar a few inches off my chest--maybe even halfway up--before failure.
Thanks, I'll incorporate more of that going forward.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:19 pm

alek wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:46 pm
mgil wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:19 pm alek, so you’re trying to get momentum in the bench itself?
Yeah; I think I'm not getting stronger on the bench because my triceps are holding me back; hence the direct triceps work.

I've not failed a bench rep by being pinned on the chest in a long time; I can usually get the bar a few inches off my chest--maybe even halfway up--before failure.
Have you tried Floor Presses? Or Board work? Like 2 or 3 board presses?

alek

Post by alek » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:36 am

Hardartery wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:19 pm
alek wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:46 pm

Have you tried Floor Presses? Or Board work? Like 2 or 3 board presses?
Not yet, but I will.