Problems Registering New Accounts

Make requests and get help.

Moderator: Manveer

BenM

Re: Problems Registering New Accounts

Post by BenM » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:11 pm

Luckily, I know this stuff reasonably well.

Code: Select all

spf=pass (sender IP is 110.232.143.229) smtp.mailfrom=exodus-strength.com; dkim=pass (signature was verified) header.d=exodus-strength.com;dmarc=bestguesspass action=none header.from=exodus-strength.com;compauth=pass reason=109
SPF is good and so is DKIM. I might throw a DMARC record on there. Done.

Don't have anything else sending email on behalf of this domain so we shouldn't have any issues but I'll keep an eye out for failure reports.

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:33 am

BenM wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:11 pm Luckily, I know this stuff reasonably well.
Indeed you do Image
BenM wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:11 pm SPF is good and so is DKIM.
Yup:

Code: Select all

Authentication-Results: hostname.example.com;
 dkim=pass (2048-bit key) header.d=exodus-strength.com header.i=@exodus-strength.com header.b=OH6o5glv
BenM wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:11 pm I might throw a DMARC record on there. Done.
I'm not doing DMARC, myself, yet.

If anybody's still having trouble with Exodus Strength email it'll clearly be on their end. Well done, Ben.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:20 am

Thanks for the original prompt, @Michiganian. Hopefully the people you know will be able to navigate the process better.

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:40 am

You're quite welcome, @mgil :)

Thanks for the prompt responses.

I'm attempting to reach out to the people that were having trouble--asking them to give it another try, if for no other reason than for data points for you guys.

A happy side-effect of all this is @BenM embarrassed me into finally adding a DMARC record to my own servers DNS records Image

BenM

Post by BenM » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:47 pm

Hah! Don't be embarrassed, LOTS of people don't setup DMARC, in fact I'm not even sure I have it on my personal domains....

As you say - I think I've done all I can to make the email sending reliable. Can't guarantee it's perfect (I did wait for a fair while yesterday for a new reply notification to arrive) but any issues now are going to be out of our control - like either the forum software itself not always generating the emails, or not being very tolerant of transient network issues (like not being able to connect to SMTP on the box for some reason) but I do think it's a big improvement over how it was. So thanks for giving me the nudge to actually fix it.

At some point I might remove the forward from that email address to the gmail account, if those folks aren't using it much they probably don't need it.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:45 am

@Michiganian, we’ve gotten at least one spam account since the change. I’m going to keep an eye on this and if it persists I’m going to make the registration similar to how it was before.

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:17 am

@mgil, understood.