The Strongman Thread

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

lehman906

Re: The Strongman Thread

Post by lehman906 » Mon May 23, 2022 1:13 pm

zappey1 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:14 pm
mouse wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:42 am WSM 2022 is about to go down and it would seem Mark Boyd has finally come forward with his evidence of corruption that he eluded to earlier...

There has been collusion like this since Kazmaier and Capes.

Hell even local shows will host events that athletes from their gyms are highly proficient in. Isn't this pretty standard?
But offering to sponsor top athletes and give them preferential treatment at the very highest level is different. This could be 1919 Black Sox....just on a VERY niche level.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue May 24, 2022 3:05 am

zappey1 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:14 pm Hell even local shows will host events that athletes from their gyms are highly proficient in.
I win one show and the accusations start flying...

F'real though... the reaction I've seen has been somewhat intriguing. The people who ACKTHCUALLY compete in strongman seem pretty un-phased... the people who WATCH strongman and who like to mess with the implements in the gym seem a bit frazzled.

I think those of us competing understand that at this level, especially Giants/WSM, it is (dare I say) a show vs purely sport.

Colin needs to sell his tickets.

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Tue May 24, 2022 4:02 am

mouse wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:05 am
zappey1 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:14 pm Hell even local shows will host events that athletes from their gyms are highly proficient in.

F'real though... the reaction I've seen has been somewhat intriguing. The people who ACKTHCUALLY compete in strongman seem pretty un-phased... the people who WATCH strongman and who like to mess with the implements in the gym seem a bit frazzled.

I think those of us competing understand that at this level, especially Giants/WSM, it is (dare I say) a show vs purely sport.

Yeah, after seeing Tom’s response I’m realizing I have no idea what goes on in the top shows. I’m wondering if they’re actually unphased, if they’re just staying quiet because several of them also have a deal, if they’re staying quiet to see how it shakes out, or if it’s something else.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Tue May 24, 2022 6:43 am

Some valid points. Really there is no 1 governing body. Each Fed makes up its own rules and the athletes can pick to compete or not. The Feds have to attract athletes that people want to watch. There is no rule about sweetening the pot for top performers.

At the end of the day if you are strong enough you win no matter what.

What about the year they made Od Wilson run like 2 miles with bricks on his back? 100% that was collusion in my eyes :lol:

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue May 24, 2022 9:17 am

zappey1 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:43 am

Some valid points. Really there is no 1 governing body. Each Fed makes up its own rules and the athletes can pick to compete or not. The Feds have to attract athletes that people want to watch. There is no rule about sweetening the pot for top performers.

What about the year they made Od Wilson run like 2 miles with bricks on his back? 100% that was collusion in my eyes :lol:
WSM does not belong to any federation. Giants Live was created to be a qualifying feeder, as historically it has always been just random invites to whomever has done something in the strngth world that got notoriety. The Arnold Classic contest only exists because Terry Todd wanted to showcase his protege. WSM as it currently exists is purely the fault of Franco Columbu. It was a CBS television show, based on nothing but putting on a show, and would have likely died just like any other show after a few more years except for Franco suing. He hurt himself practicing with a homemade refrigerator carry setup and finished the injury at the show, and subsequently sued CBS. They decided that was too much so they sold it to TWI in Great Britain. TWI brought in Dougie Edmunds from Highland Games stuff to take over the role of Paul Anderson and we end up with what we have now. It's a program made specifically to broadcast at Christmas in GB that also happens to be syndicated to some networks in other countries. Dougie was buddies with Sigmarsson, so you get an event change to benefit his buddy and give hime the title. The American (Kaz) was winning too much, so you stop inviting him because the show is targeting a British crowd after all. It has never been about fairness or competition, ever, when we ae talking about WSM. Magnus Ver Magnusson banged the producer for TWI (Charlotte something or other), Gregor got in one year because he was always there because his dad ran the thing (Not slightling Gregor, he's a good strength athlete). All of those guys competed on a European circuit the rest of the year that was totally unrelated to WSM. The events and groupings at WSM have never been random and have always been skewed towards or against someone. Always.
All that being said, the rules are actually extremely standardized across all federations. They just are, don't know how that came to be, but they are. Most current feds are related anyway. The two main amateur ones in the US exist mostly because Willie and Dionne got divorced (From what I can tell). She kept AFSA/IFSA/NAS and changed it to Strongman Corp, he runs the other one now insteadof them running the current iteration of NASS together. (NASS was originally the creation of Bill Hollands and his wife). It has always been a big buddy thing. The original AFSA pro fed was run by a guy with an eye patch that worked for the USPS, who went drinking with Dougie Edmunds a few times after some contests and so got the nod to be the US divisionof IFSA - that goes back to before the split with TWI and WSM. Dougie ran a separate conest schedule with a championship for several years before things got recombined sort of. That gave us separate World champs that weren't on the Christmas broadcast. That's why Zydrunas doesn't have more WSM titles - he was with IFSA and you couldn't do both. That's where most of the best guys went, like Fleming Rasmussen and Geoff Dolan among others. Competitors know it's not a real sporting body, WSM is just a show, and they only go because it's a famous one that puts you on television.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Tue May 24, 2022 9:45 am

Was the final a beer drinking BBQ contest?

COLUSION :D

JK you did awesome congrats on the W

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Tue May 24, 2022 9:50 am

Hardartery wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:17 am

WSM does not belong to any federation. Giants Live was created to be a qualifying feeder, as historically it has always been just random invites to whomever has done something in the strngth world that got notoriety. The Arnold Classic contest only exists because Terry Todd wanted to showcase his protege. WSM as it currently exists is purely the fault of Franco Columbu. It was a CBS television show, based on nothing but putting on a show, and would have likely died just like any other show after a few more years except for Franco suing. He hurt himself practicing with a homemade refrigerator carry setup and finished the injury at the show, and subsequently sued CBS. They decided that was too much so they sold it to TWI in Great Britain. TWI brought in Dougie Edmunds from Highland Games stuff to take over the role of Paul Anderson and we end up with what we have now. It's a program made specifically to broadcast at Christmas in GB that also happens to be syndicated to some networks in other countries. Dougie was buddies with Sigmarsson, so you get an event change to benefit his buddy and give hime the title. The American (Kaz) was winning too much, so you stop inviting him because the show is targeting a British crowd after all. It has never been about fairness or competition, ever, when we ae talking about WSM. Magnus Ver Magnusson banged the producer for TWI (Charlotte something or other), Gregor got in one year because he was always there because his dad ran the thing (Not slightling Gregor, he's a good strength athlete). All of those guys competed on a European circuit the rest of the year that was totally unrelated to WSM. The events and groupings at WSM have never been random and have always been skewed towards or against someone. Always.
All that being said, the rules are actually extremely standardized across all federations. They just are, don't know how that came to be, but they are. Most current feds are related anyway. The two main amateur ones in the US exist mostly because Willie and Dionne got divorced (From what I can tell). She kept AFSA/IFSA/NAS and changed it to Strongman Corp, he runs the other one now insteadof them running the current iteration of NASS together. (NASS was originally the creation of Bill Hollands and his wife). It has always been a big buddy thing. The original AFSA pro fed was run by a guy with an eye patch that worked for the USPS, who went drinking with Dougie Edmunds a few times after some contests and so got the nod to be the US divisionof IFSA - that goes back to before the split with TWI and WSM. Dougie ran a separate conest schedule with a championship for several years before things got recombined sort of. That gave us separate World champs that weren't on the Christmas broadcast. That's why Zydrunas doesn't have more WSM titles - he was with IFSA and you couldn't do both. That's where most of the best guys went, like Fleming Rasmussen and Geoff Dolan among others. Competitors know it's not a real sporting body, WSM is just a show, and they only go because it's a famous one that puts you on television.
100% it has always been a show. I think just most casual fans were not aware of it. What about when Pudzianowski got in trouble for taking cocaine? :lol:

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue May 24, 2022 11:31 am

zappey1 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:50 am
Hardartery wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:17 am

100% it has always been a show. I think just most casual fans were not aware of it. What about when Pudzianowski got in trouble for taking cocaine? :lol:
It was common knowledge that he worked for the Polish mob dealing in drugs and enforcement. EVERYONE knew amongst the athletes. He stopped getting invies to US shows after a while, because he persisted in bringing his entire kit when he travelled which would inevitably get found because you end up on list for that stuff. The promoter would have to go post a bond to ger him through customs to compete. They all got pissed off about doing it so they stopped inviting him. WSM was stacking the odds against him every year as much as they could without the best athletes being at WSM (They were all with IFSA), so it was no surprise when they popped him. Literally the only guy to ever get popped at WSM, using one of the very few things that they actually test for. There was another athlete supposedly shooting adrenaline before events, imagine using an epi-pen before an event. He did not fail a drug test. Only a dim bulb uses an openly prohibited substance that is easy to test for knowing that the brass is gunning for him. Good strength athlete, but I have a bunch of lousy stories about him, he's kind of a dick.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue May 24, 2022 12:04 pm

Hardartery wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:31 am
It was common knowledge that he worked for the Polish mob dealing in drugs and enforcement. EVERYONE knew amongst the athletes. He stopped getting invies to US shows after a while, because he persisted in bringing his entire kit when he travelled which would inevitably get found because you end up on list for that stuff. The promoter would have to go post a bond to ger him through customs to compete. They all got pissed off about doing it so they stopped inviting him. WSM was stacking the odds against him every year as much as they could without the best athletes being at WSM (They were all with IFSA), so it was no surprise when they popped him. Literally the only guy to ever get popped at WSM, using one of the very few things that they actually test for. There was another athlete supposedly shooting adrenaline before events, imagine using an epi-pen before an event. He did not fail a drug test. Only a dim bulb uses an openly prohibited substance that is easy to test for knowing that the brass is gunning for him. Good strength athlete, but I have a bunch of lousy stories about him, he's kind of a dick.

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:38 am

Anybody want to chip in on travel costs to have Exodus represented here?

https://ironpodium.com/browse/event/dia ... do-d-cubed

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:06 pm

mouse wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:38 am Anybody want to chip in on travel costs to have Exodus represented here?

i just signed up for this. going to come in about 50 lbs under weight because the weight classes were shuffled around, but w/e.

the event descriptions have been changed since november with more annotations, and they're hilarious.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:40 pm

rjharris wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:06 pm
mouse wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:38 am Anybody want to chip in on travel costs to have Exodus represented here?

i just signed up for this. going to come in about 50 lbs under weight because the weight classes were shuffled around, but w/e.

the event descriptions have been changed since november with more annotations, and they're hilarious.
JELLY

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Mon May 08, 2023 7:10 am

had to miss the dia del dildo because my kid got pretty sick the literal night before. bummed about it because i missed shit like this

allegedly it's going to be an annual thing. guess it makes sense since they have the damned thing, what else is a strongman gym owner going to do with it (don't answer that).

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed May 31, 2023 2:54 am

rjharris wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:10 am had to miss the dia del dildo because my kid got pretty sick the literal night before. bummed about it because i missed shit like this

allegedly it's going to be an annual thing. guess it makes sense since they have the damned thing, what else is a strongman gym owner going to do with it (don't answer that).
Dang, it's been slipping my mind to come back and ask how it went, sucks you had to miss it...

It would be fun to be an annual thing, I'd love to go do it. All the online hate Vachio has gotten over it makes me think it's very likely he does it at least once more...

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:26 am

mouse wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:54 am Dang, it's been slipping my mind to come back and ask how it went, sucks you had to miss it...
i was bummed to miss it, i was more bummed the following week to get the norovirus my kid got that prevented me from going to this ...
mouse wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:54 am It would be fun to be an annual thing, I'd love to go do it. All the online hate Vachio has gotten over it makes me think it's very likely he does it at least once more...
i mean, he's got the moby(s?), might as well get more use out of them

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:30 am

I've heard that once you go giant black rubber dildo, you don't go back, so I would imagine it's gonna be an annual thing.

mouse

Post by mouse » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:34 am

Trey Mitchell's achilles has left the chat...