Laptop Reccomendations

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Hardartery

Laptop Reccomendations

Post by Hardartery » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:44 pm

Starting to look for a replacement, I have Acer and am leaning acer but not stuck on any brand. It's been a few years and I don't even know what minimums to look for atm. It will unfortunately need to be Windows based to suit my current needs. I know there are some guys on here that can at least tell what to avoid as far as processors and graphics.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Re: Laptop Reccomendations

Post by aurelius » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:10 pm

Join the PC master race. Get a shitty laptop and remote into your desktop.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:18 pm

I don't know much about what's out there now, but I do know that the people that do will need some more information to properly answer... What will you be using it for? For most non-specific uses (browsing and MS Office type stuff), I don't think much is needed in the processor/graphics realm. I don't think I'd go lower than 8gb ram. I will recommend that whatever you get have an SSD, it's probably the best bang for your buck performance improvement.

I do software development and got a gaming laptop last year to replace my aging macbook pro. The performance requirements match up nicely, and it means I can play older-ish gaming titles like XCOM2 and Civ... 5? that my macbook couldn't handle.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:25 pm

I like the Lenovo I bought for my one daughter. Better than the HP the other one has.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:42 pm

cgeorg wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:18 pm I don't know much about what's out there now, but I do know that the people that do will need some more information to properly answer... What will you be using it for? For most non-specific uses (browsing and MS Office type stuff), I don't think much is needed in the processor/graphics realm. I don't think I'd go lower than 8gb ram. I will recommend that whatever you get have an SSD, it's probably the best bang for your buck performance improvement.

I do software development and got a gaming laptop last year to replace my aging macbook pro. The performance requirements match up nicely, and it means I can play older-ish gaming titles like XCOM2 and Civ... 5? that my macbook couldn't handle.
I have to use MS Office off and on, browsing, and Fidelity's trading platform. I don't game much anymore, but I watch/listen to a lot of Youtube while working on things. I would like to go to Linux and tell MS to take a flying leap, but unfortunately some of what I do requires actual Office (And not Office 365, I have to use the real thing). The current Acer Nitro has been pretty good, but it's several years old and having hiccups now. It also does not meet the requirements for Windows 11, so even though I don't really want Windows 11 I take it as a sign that my stuff is aging out. I have to do some Zoom stuff as well, but I don't think that has any effect on anything really. I know that I never liked HP and the Asus I got for my wife seems fragile, as in some stuff was already not working at 6 mos but it's hard to get warranty work done when you are out of the country and only spend a week or so in the US every year.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:14 pm

aurelius wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:10 pm Join the PC master race. Get a shitty laptop and remote into your desktop.
I'm intrigued. I need to replace my son's laptop after the school year but would rather score a decent GPU and build another desktop instead.

Wouldn't a shitty laptop still be limited by its shittiness?

asdf

Post by asdf » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:56 pm

Hardartery wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:42 pm I have to use MS Office off and on, browsing, and Fidelity's trading platform.
the Asus I got for my wife seems fragile, as in some stuff was already not working at 6 mos but it's hard to get warranty work done when you are out of the country and only spend a week or so in the US every year.
I buy refurbished Dell Latitudes. Build quality and durability are great. Most come with a three-year international warranty. Easy to get parts when needed.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/dfb/shop/del ... d-latitude

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:13 am

aurelius wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:10 pm Join the PC master race. Get a shitty laptop and remote into your desktop.
+1

You can build a desktop for 1/3 the price that you could buy a laptop with the same specs; a shitty laptop and an expensive laptop will both load webpages and play youtube videos.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:43 pm

Renascent wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:14 pmWouldn't a shitty laptop still be limited by its shittiness?
The PC does all of the heavy lifting. The laptop becomes a streaming device for the PC. Our work uses a program called Teamviewer. It works so well we are dumping our VPN.