Can a dip rack go on a squat stand?

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

SSJBartSimpson

Can a dip rack go on a squat stand?

Post by SSJBartSimpson » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:48 pm

I have a rogue SML 1. I'm debating selling it to buy something that has a dip and pullup bar setup, or keeping it and buying a screwin pullup bar along with a dip attachment for the squat rack.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Re: Can a dip rack go on a squat stand?

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:16 pm

SSJBartSimpson wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:48 pm I have a rogue SML 1. I'm debating selling it to buy something that has a dip and pullup bar setup, or keeping it and buying a screwin pullup bar along with a dip attachment for the squat rack.
Since the SML-1 doesn't have a crossbar/pullup bar, a dip attachment will be too wobbly.
Rouge site sates the dip attachment is not for use on the SML-1

People do use a dip attachment on stands with crossmembers.
Using it pointing inward off the upright.

The SML-1 is worth keeping imo.

You can get an Xmark dipstand ( i have had one going on 4 years.
Great product and not expensive.
Then do your pullup bar.
$127 on Amazon, free delivery

Last edited by Wilhelm on Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asdf

Post by asdf » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:18 pm

SSJBartSimpson wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:48 pm I have a rogue SML 1. I'm debating selling it to buy something that has a dip and pullup bar setup, or keeping it and buying a screwin pullup bar along with a dip attachment for the squat rack.
We have a Rogue S-2 squat stand that has a built-in pull-up bar. We bought a Rogue Matador dip attachment and use it regularly.

Instructions that came with the Matador state that it should only be mounted inside the squat stand. Nonetheless, we almost always mount it on the outside, because we mostly do dips as part of circuits that also involve pull-ups. We mount the Matador as low as possible and counterweight the opposite side of the stand with plates to prevent rocking or tipping. We're both small and light, so don't feel like we're significantly stressing the stand. Been doing this for years with no issues. When I do weighted dips, I follow the instructions and mount it inside the stand.

SSJBartSimpson

Post by SSJBartSimpson » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:43 am

Wilhelm wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:16 pm
Since the SML-1 doesn't have a crossbar/pullup bar, a dip attachment will be too wobbly.
Rouge site sates the dip attachment is not for use on the SML-1

People do use a dip attachment on stands with crossmembers.
Using it pointing inward off the upright.

The SML-1 is worth keeping imo.

You can get an Xmark dipstand ( i have had one going on 4 years.
Great product and not expensive.
Then do your pullup bar.

I actually have a dip stand similar to that I got off of ebay, but I have found the straight bar handles hurt my chest. I also have a Titan pull up bar

Right now we are moving and the reason I'm considering selling is because I have to leave the pullup bar anyway since it's drilled into the wall and the $50 it cost isn't worth the hassle to remove and repair the wall, and I could upgrade the squat rack for only a few $100...

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:55 am

Do you have safety arms for the SML-1 and an extra barbell?

I was this close to buying The Matador when I tried putting my 2 bars on the safeties and dipping with that. The bars want to roll away from you, so they stay locked against the ends of the safeties.

Full disclosure; I have an R3 with pin-in-pipe safeties, so there might be details I'm missing with your setup. But it might be worth a shot if you're as cheap as me but have an extra bar (My extra is the junky 35# bar from my 20 year old original weight set).

OverheadDeadlifts

Post by OverheadDeadlifts » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:57 am

If you want to be really cheap you can face the safeties inwards and then stick band pegs through the holes in the safeties to use as dip handles/hammer grip pull up bars.

I can probably think of about 10 uses for band pegs that don’t involve bands. Love them.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:36 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:16 pm You can get an Xmark dipstand ( i have had one going on 4 years.
15% off with free shipping directly from Xmark, through Sunday (code 15STRONG)

https://xmarkfitness.com/products/dip-station

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:11 am

murphyreedus wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:36 pm
Wilhelm wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:16 pm You can get an Xmark dipstand ( i have had one going on 4 years.
15% off with free shipping directly from Xmark, through Sunday (code 15STRONG)

https://xmarkfitness.com/products/dip-station
I love this stand.
The handle covers still work great after nearly 4 years.
Very comfy

SSJBartSimpson

Post by SSJBartSimpson » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:20 pm

OverheadDeadlifts wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:57 am If you want to be really cheap you can face the safeties inwards and then stick band pegs through the holes in the safeties to use as dip handles/hammer grip pull up bars.

I can probably think of about 10 uses for band pegs that don’t involve bands. Love them.
Pics?? I have spotter arms, no safety pins

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:56 am

asdf wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:18 pm
We have a Rogue S-2 squat stand that has a built-in pull-up bar. We bought a Rogue Matador dip attachment and use it regularly.

Instructions that came with the Matador state that it should only be mounted inside the squat stand. Nonetheless, we almost always mount it on the outside, because we mostly do dips as part of circuits that also involve pull-ups. We mount the Matador as low as possible and counterweight the opposite side of the stand with plates to prevent rocking or tipping. We're both small and light, so don't feel like we're significantly stressing the stand. Been doing this for years with no issues. When I do weighted dips, I follow the instructions and mount it inside the stand.
whenever i did this with my s-2, it rocked way too much for my taste, even with lots (>~ 4 plates) of counterweight. when i bolted it down, same story. i just attach it to the inside now.

OverheadDeadlifts

Post by OverheadDeadlifts » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:23 am

SSJBartSimpson wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:20 pm
OverheadDeadlifts wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:57 am If you want to be really cheap you can face the safeties inwards and then stick band pegs through the holes in the safeties to use as dip handles/hammer grip pull up bars.

Pics?? I have spotter arms, no safety pins

Definitely not a premium solution but it works for me. I also stick a couple more band pegs low on the uprights as footholds to make it easier to get into position.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:11 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:11 am I love this stand.
The handle covers still work great after nearly 4 years.
Very comfy
I ended up ordering it on sale, put it together today. Plenty solid with my 250 pounds on it. I'm surprised at the quality vs cost ratio on it. The comparable Body Solid is pushing 3x the price, and I can't see how the BS would significantly better, since it's virtually the same frame design but with welded handles.

asdf

Post by asdf » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:25 pm

OverheadDeadlifts wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:23 am works for me.
Clever solution. How are you working out in a parking space? Where do you store your equipment? Any complaints from management/HOA?

OverheadDeadlifts

Post by OverheadDeadlifts » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:14 am

asdf wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:25 pm
OverheadDeadlifts wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:23 am works for me.
Clever solution. How are you working out in a parking space? Where do you store your equipment? Any complaints from management/HOA?
The underground parking for this development is enormous. Even at night there’s multiple free spaces so nobody is ever left without somewhere to park.

Equipment is stored inside a beater car except the rack which is too tall so it hides underneath the car. That’s why I got the yoke rack since it can be assembled and disassembled each time. When it’s time to train I push the car forward a few feet (battery is long dead), set the rack up and take things out of the car as and when I need them. Then when I’m done everything gets packed away, the rack lays flat and I pull the car back over it. It’s quite inconspicuous at a glance.

I’ve been training this way for almost 3 years but the housing association started emailing me about the car just over a year ago. They say you can’t keep SORN’d cars down there as per the tenancy agreement but I’ve read it back to front and it doesn’t actually say that. So I’ve just been dragging it out and telling them i plan on fixing up the car but don’t have the funds etc. Although the last email did mention the gym equipment so I think they’re catching on. It’s going to be an interesting exchange if they ever come to inspect the car park whilst I’m training.

I’m quiet, tidy and nobody has ever complained. In fact I’ve prevented bike thefts/car break ins, helped people jump start cars, let people know they left their headlights on, helped people move furniture etc. so me training there is probably a net positive. The housing association probably wouldn’t see it that way though.

asdf

Post by asdf » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:34 am

OverheadDeadlifts wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:14 am [parking garage details]
Ingenious. Hope you don't get shut down. But even if you do, three years was an impressive run.