Motorcycles

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

murphyreedus

Re: Motorcycles

Post by murphyreedus » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:16 pm

mgil wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:39 am I know you’re all h8rs, but catch me out side in my Honda Ruckus in summer 2022.

#wutang #bringdaruckus #49ccfatboy
Can we ride nuts to butt on it?

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:22 pm

mgil wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:39 am I know you’re all h8rs, but catch me out side in my Honda Ruckus in summer 2022.

#wutang #bringdaruckus #49ccfatboy
no arguments here. If I had the room, I'd get a scooter. And a dirtbike. And an Indian Scout. And...

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:16 pm

hsilman wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:22 pm

no arguments here. If I had the room, I'd get a scooter. And a dirtbike. And an Indian Scout. And...

I'd love a little tool-around bike like a Grom or a Ruckus, or maybe a Navi, but it's not practical living in a small town and having 10 miles of highway and hills between me and anything.

I'm looking into pit/dirt bikes for my kid. A little torn between going with something cheap from China to see if he likes it, or spending more on a CRF50/PW50/something decent that'll actually maintain some resale value.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:24 am

If you can afford the crf50, you'll be able to get most of the money back if/when you sell for sure. If you get a Chinese bikeish object, that money's gone.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Mon May 02, 2022 5:44 am

Just got back from my first track weekend at Pocono Raceway. Got my knee down for the first time with some help from the coaching staff. Fun feeling!

But holy shit I am sore AF today. Dunno why it didn't affect me all weekend, but as soon as I got home I could barely bend my legs. Oof!

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Mon May 02, 2022 2:10 pm

hsilman wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:44 am Just got back from my first track weekend at Pocono Raceway. Got my knee down for the first time with some help from the coaching staff. Fun feeling!

But holy shit I am sore AF today. Dunno why it didn't affect me all weekend, but as soon as I got home I could barely bend my legs. Oof!
Anyone ever roll into the track with their dual sport?

I got more riding done in March than April, thanks to weather. Hopefully May is a better month.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Mon May 02, 2022 3:38 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:10 pm
hsilman wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:44 am Just got back from my first track weekend at Pocono Raceway. Got my knee down for the first time with some help from the coaching staff. Fun feeling!

Anyone ever roll into the track with their dual sport?

I got more riding done in March than April, thanks to weather. Hopefully May is a better month.
Yeah, lots of guys running DRZ, or enough that I see 1 or two every track day.

Shit, there were 2 guys on sportsters in the 1st timers class. One of them had shoulder height apes even!

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Mon May 16, 2022 8:14 am

Got my thermo bob installed on my bike this weekend (in gold finish, for the bling).

https://watt-man.com/new-shop/thermo-bo ... del-years/

I think I'm finally done with changing things for the season, at least until I find some other doodad.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Tue May 17, 2022 7:20 pm

Bought a penske double clicker for my sv. Very, very nice.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:55 pm

Gas prices being what they are: I want one.

My gearhead brain says yes, my overwhelming fear of being killed by some techie in a Tesla says no.

My abusive older brother says I will 100% die riding any kind of motorcycle because I am an üntermensch or something. I do not care.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:46 am

Anaphase wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:55 pm

My gearhead brain says yes, my overwhelming fear of being killed by some techie in a Tesla says no.

My abusive older brother says I will 100% die riding any kind of motorcycle because I am an üntermensch or something. I do not care.
Just remember that the real cost is the depreciation on a vehicle (plus maintenance). I had a 2006 used Vespa that I sold 3 years later for only $200 less. It was a pretty great little vehicle. It think it got over 100 mph. If I were to do it again, I would probably buy a used Honda Ruckus. I only used it on surface streets near my house (my teenage kids used it a lot). It just didn't need to go that fast.

Yes. You can get killed on a bike. Probability is higher than a car. That said, living life includes taking some risks. Everyone has different risk tolerance.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:48 am

I'm not handy, but I changed the oil in my R1200GS for the first time this past weekend. I haven't been riding that much over the past year, but the oil needed to be change. Mission accomplished.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:12 pm

JohnHelton wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:46 am
Anaphase wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:55 pm

Just remember that the real cost is the depreciation on a vehicle (plus maintenance). I had a 2006 used Vespa that I sold 3 years later for only $200 less. It was a pretty great little vehicle. It think it got over 100 mph. If I were to do it again, I would probably buy a used Honda Ruckus. I only used it on surface streets near my house (my teenage kids used it a lot). It just didn't need to go that fast.

Yes. You can get killed on a bike. Probability is higher than a car. That said, living life includes taking some risks. Everyone has different risk tolerance.
I bought my Ruckus new simply because it wasn’t that much more than used. Prices are silly. I like it overall, but it’s only good for 30-35mph.

If I wanted a bit more, I’d check out the Yamaha Zuma 125. That’s got plenty of oomph for most commuter needs.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:35 pm

That time of year again when I've got a major itch to ride but the snow keeps falling.

Ordered some Shinko 804/805s, swapping from Michelin Anakee Adventures to try something more off-road oriented. I have a pretty "old man" riding style on pavement already (chicken strips? My kids love 'em), so hopefully I don't regret it. I'll keep the Anakees since I could probably get another year or 2 out of them (finding an extra set of wheels would be nice so I could easily swap). The Shinkos are cheap enough that I won't feel sad if I only get a season out of them.

Also going to change out all the wheel bearings since the wheels will be off. Debating throwing on new sprockets/chain too, but they still look pretty good.

Picked up Harbor Freight's finest steel motorcycle jack today and messed around with lifting the bike up/balancing. Seems pretty decent, at least for my sub-500# bike.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:49 am

I have a couple trips planned on my bike this spring. Going to do a loop through the Texas Hill Country, camping a couple nights. Then in May I’m planning to meet college buddies in Iowa. I will be riding from Dallas through the Ozarks. That one will be dependent on the weather, since I can’t move the date around. Planning these trips is a big part of the fun.

Skid

Post by Skid » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:36 pm

hsilman wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:24 am If you can afford the crf50, you'll be able to get most of the money back if/when you sell for sure. If you get a Chinese bikeish object, that money's gone.
Old post, but you'll likely get more money when you sell than what you paid for a Honda 50. I bought a new CRF50 for ~$1000 for my 5 year old son in 2004 because even at that time there was only a $100-200 difference between a good used and a new bike. Almost 20 years and 3 kids later I sold it for $1600. I kept it in good shape and replaced a few parts that got damaged and bent over the years. I probably could have got more as I had 3 guys call the same day I put it up for sale. 1st guy bought it no dickering.`

Edit - I did throw in a a kid size helmet, boots and body armor too but still the bike more than kept its value.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:10 am

Got the bike running and changed oil last weekend, but started the real stuff this weekend. Got the old chain removed, front sprocket replaced, rear wheel bearings pounded out, and hub cleaned up. Ran out of time and still have a lot on the to-do list, but at least it's progress.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:25 pm

Bah, progress has been slow. Spooned on my new rear tire/tube, changed wheel bearings, sprockets, rear brake rotor and pad. Still have to lube up the swingarm before putting the rear wheel back on, install the new chain, and bed in the new pads. Then, assuming the bike didn't explode and kill me, I'll start on the front wheel. Hopefully be riding before May...

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:19 am

I got a second bike. I still have crashbars, skid plate, etc. to install.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:09 am

JohnHelton wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:19 am I got a second bike. I still have crashbars, skid plate, etc. to install.

Awesome. Let me know how you like it. I've been eyeballing a Tenere.