Spamhaus?

Make requests and get help.

Moderator: Manveer

Renascent
Desperado

Spamhaus?

Post by Renascent » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:22 pm

Lately I've been getting this error message in red text when trying to update my log:

"Your IP ***.**.***.*** has been blocked because it is blacklisted. For details please see http://www.spamhaus.org."

Spamhaus appears to be a legitimate entity, based on what I could found out from Google.

The link in the error message leads to a page with some goofy robot picture, and says, "Your IP address is either exhibiting suspect behavior, is misconfigured, or has a poor sending reputation.

As a result, the IP is listed in the CSS Blocklist (CSS)

Click on Show Details to see if you can request a delisting from this blocklist. This will also display any further information we have relating to this listing.

Don’t panic!
The inclusion of your IP address on the Policy Blocklist (PBL) is standard for the vast majority of internet users and is not the result of your actions. Here are some key PBL facts for your understanding:

Being on this list does not mean you won’t be able to send emails.
You do not need to request removal from PBL.
This listing is controlled by your Internet Service Provider (ISP), not Spamhaus.
Your ISP lists ranges of IP addresses that shouldn’t be sending email directly to the internet.
Typically, IPs of broadband or dial-up customers will be included in this list.
This is part of Internet best practices enacted to protect all users.
Run your own mail server?
If you run your own mail server, and require removal from the PBL, please click on “Show Details” to review your ISP’s policy. Once you have reviewed the policy, please tick the “I am running my own mail server” check-box at the bottom of the page to enable removal.

NOTE: Exclusions are only valid for 1 year. If your IP gets listed on another Spamhaus Blocklist, it will automatically be relisted on the PBL.
"

Anybody else experiencing this issue? It seems to happen regardless of whether I use a VPN or not.

Michiganian

Re: Spamhaus?

Post by Michiganian » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:11 am

Renascent wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:22 pm Lately I've been getting this error message in red text when trying to update my log:

"Your IP ***.**.***.*** has been blocked because it is blacklisted. For details please see http://www.spamhaus.org."

Spamhaus appears to be a legitimate entity, based on what I could found out from Google.

The link in the error message leads to a page with some goofy robot picture, and says, "Your IP address is either exhibiting suspect behavior, is misconfigured, or has a poor sending reputation.

I'm confused Image

Yes: Spamhaus is legitimate. I'd go so far as to say the most legitimate of all the blocklist operations on the Internet. But, Spamhaus's blocklists are meant for email reputation grading and blocking. Are you saying Exodus Strength is using them for web form submission blocking? And, if so, how were you able to post your post here?

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:26 am

Michiganian wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:11 am
Renascent wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:22 pm Lately I've been getting this error message in red text when trying to update my log:

I'm confused Image

Yes: Spamhaus is legitimate.  I'd go so far as to say the most legitimate of all the blocklist operations on the Internet.  But, Spamhaus's blocklists are meant for email reputation grading and blocking.
That's what I gathered as well. Most of what I found online dealt with server admins troubleshooting issues with blacklists impeding daily business needs.
Are you saying Exodus Strength is using them for web form submission blocking?
No idea. It could very well be some weird shit on my end, though I generally frequent the same few websites on a daily basis and rarely send emails of any sort outside of work.
And, if so, how were you able to post your post here?
Used my desktop. Most of the time I use my phone; sometimes switching browsers, toggling VPN usage, and restarting the phone works. Lately, not as much.

Seems to be a matter of luck (or something beyond my scope of understanding).

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:29 pm

@BenM, I told @Renascent to post here for insight.

I know we set this up for registering users but it’s weird that it’s popping up now.

BenM

Post by BenM » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:18 pm

Michiganian wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:11 am Are you saying Exodus Strength is using them for web form submission blocking?
PHPBB does, indeed, have RBL checks enabled for both posting and signups (it's either on or off, can't be one or the other):

Renascent wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:26 amUsed my desktop. Most of the time I use my phone; sometimes switching browsers, toggling VPN usage, and restarting the phone works. Lately, not as much.

If you regularly use VPNs it's highly possible that you've ended up with an IP address that someone has used for something malicious and they've got themselves on a blacklist. This is one reason people use VPNs, to hide their true identity/location and allow them to misbehave.

The ONLY option we have at our end is to turn that check off. That might cause an increase in spam registrations, we don't know unless we try. I am a little hesitant to do it, if it was my forum I'd lean towards saying no because in my day job I regularly come across VPN endpoints being used maliciously and I think it opens the forum up to potential issues. But it's not my forum - and it's a very easy change to reverse if we see a massive influx of spam or something. I only have the admin role by default because I took over the hosting, so I won't make a change like that without some approval - is this something @mgil or @d0uevenlift or @manveer should give, or someone else?

I did find some indications online about that sometimes Spamhaus can throw up false positives for different reasons, but if this was the case I expect we'd have a lot more people seeing the issue. Based on that, I'm assuming it's only @Renascent being affected. When it happens again, I'm happy to check on the IP and make sure that it is indeed blacklisted if you send it to me - but if you click that link and it tells you it's blacklisted, well... that's a pretty good indication it is :) Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a log of Spamhaus queries I can look at to check the history.

You can probably go to spamhaus and request the IP be removed, but it will be like playing whack a mole, especially if you're using a commercial VPN provider that's being abused by others. If you come in on an IP address that isn't listed in that RBL then you shouldn't have issues.

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:45 am

BenM wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:18 pm
Michiganian wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:11 am Are you saying Exodus Strength is using them for web form submission blocking?
PHPBB does, indeed, have RBL checks enabled for both posting and signups (it's either on or off, can't be one or the other):
Problem with that is Spamhaus's blocklists are mainly meant for email blocking and reputation scores.

What can happen is what we're probably seeing here: An IP address in a dynamic pool gets assigned to a compromised PC or a spammer gets it. Abusive email from that IP ensues. The IP gets listed. The compromised PC or spammer moves on, because dynamic addressing. Somebody innocent gets that same IP address. They try to use their favorite web board. They're blocked.

There's one possible exception to the above: The Spamhaus XBL Advisory list. That one may be appropriate for blocking posting and other web forms, because it lists:
... IP addresses of hijacked PCs infected by illegal 3rd party exploits, including open proxies (HTTP, socks, AnalogX, wingate, etc), worms/viruses with built-in spam engines, and other types of trojan-horse exploits.
BenM wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:18 pm You can probably go to spamhaus and request the IP be removed ...
For a dynamic pool? I do not believe so. The temporary user of the IP doesn't "own" that IP, per se. The ISP does. I haven't been active in the email abuse arena for some time (I may still have Spamhaus contacts--I'd have to check), but, IIRC, the only people whose delisting requests will be considered are either ISPs or those who have "ownership" of static IP assignments--and I'm fairly confident said static IPs would have to have non-generic DNS and rDNS entries associated with them for delisting requests to be considered.

Re: The use of VPNs. VPNs are often used for nefarious purposes. Thus entire VPN subnets are often blocked by web boards and other sites. I do not recommend their use any time other than when one is on an unsecured, public network. And, even then, choose your VPN carefully.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:18 pm

BenM wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:18 pmIf you regularly use VPNs it's highly possible that you've ended up with an IP address that someone has used for something malicious and they've got themselves on a blacklist. This is one reason people use VPNs, to hide their true identity/location and allow them to misbehave.

The ONLY option we have at our end is to turn that check off. That might cause an increase in spam registrations, we don't know unless we try. I am a little hesitant to do it, if it was my forum I'd lean towards saying no because in my day job I regularly come across VPN endpoints being used maliciously and I think it opens the forum up to potential issues.
I've only started using a VPN recently, like, within the last month or so, in response to the blocklist notifications. I usually use my phone provider's 5G data service as opposed to my own wifi, and I never use public networks.

As you said, if it were my forum, I wouldn't want to turn off the check either. I just find it odd that this is happening so suddenly and frequently.
Michiganian wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:45 amThe temporary user of the IP doesn't "own" that IP, per se.  The ISP does.  I haven't been active in the email abuse arena for some time (I may still have Spamhaus contacts--I'd have to check), but, IIRC, the only people whose delisting requests will be considered are either ISPs or those who have "ownership" of static IP assignments--and I'm fairly confident said static IPs would have to have non-generic DNS and rDNS entries associated with them for delisting requests to be considered
I considered following the rabbit hole to get in contact with Spamhaus to request a delist, but since my IP address changes each time I restart my phone and create a new connection, it seems like I'd be submitting requests to them indefinitely (in which case restarting my phone might be more efficient, timewise).

Didn't occur to me that I might be assigned a recycled IP that was already flagged for something suspicious. Makes sense, but it sure seems like I'm being assigned a lot of dirty IPs, all of a sudden.

Internet gets stranger by the day. Makes me want to go take a shower.

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:40 pm

Renascent wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:18 pm I considered following the rabbit hole to get in contact with Spamhaus to request a delist, but since my IP address changes each time ...
Like I said: They'd likely disregard the request, anyway. Since it's dynamic addressing, you don't "own" the IP addresses.
Renascent wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:18 pm Didn't occur to me that I might be assigned a recycled IP that was already flagged for something suspicious. Makes sense, but it sure seems like I'm being assigned a lot of dirty IPs, all of a sudden..
It's possible the entire block of IP addresses from which you're getting assigned is listed due to repeated abuse coming from multiple IP addresses within that subnet.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:12 pm

Michiganian wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:40 pmIt's possible the entire block of IP addresses from which you're getting assigned is listed due to repeated abuse coming from multiple IP addresses within that subnet.
These blocks and subnets... are they assigned based on geographic location?

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:37 pm

Renascent wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:12 pm These blocks and subnets... are they assigned based on geographic location?
Usually, yes, but, not necessarily.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:35 pm

BenM wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:18 pm

Renascent wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:26 amUsed my desktop. Most of the time I use my phone; sometimes switching browsers, toggling VPN usage, and restarting the phone works. Lately, not as much.

If you regularly use VPNs it's highly possible that you've ended up with an IP address that someone has used for something malicious and they've got themselves on a blacklist. This is one reason people use VPNs, to hide their true identity/location and allow them to misbehave.

The ONLY option we have at our end is to turn that check off. That might cause an increase in spam registrations, we don't know unless we try. I am a little hesitant to do it, if it was my forum I'd lean towards saying no because in my day job I regularly come across VPN endpoints being used maliciously and I think it opens the forum up to potential issues. But it's not my forum - and it's a very easy change to reverse if we see a massive influx of spam or something. I only have the admin role by default because I took over the hosting, so I won't make a change like that without some approval - is this something @mgil or @d0uevenlift or @manveer should give, or someone else?

I did find some indications online about that sometimes Spamhaus can throw up false positives for different reasons, but if this was the case I expect we'd have a lot more people seeing the issue. Based on that, I'm assuming it's only @Renascent being affected. When it happens again, I'm happy to check on the IP and make sure that it is indeed blacklisted if you send it to me - but if you click that link and it tells you it's blacklisted, well... that's a pretty good indication it is :) Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a log of Spamhaus queries I can look at to check the history.

You can probably go to spamhaus and request the IP be removed, but it will be like playing whack a mole, especially if you're using a commercial VPN provider that's being abused by others. If you come in on an IP address that isn't listed in that RBL then you shouldn't have issues.
I got exactly the same thing as Renascent, a little bit before he reported it. I installed Opera and have the VPN turned on to get around it, I typically do not use a VPN and I am in a different geographic location than @Renascent

BenM

Post by BenM » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:58 pm

Interesting. Seems you both landed on an ISP who has some malicious activity on their network resulting in their IPs landing on an RBL.

Like I said, I have no recourse to fix this other than turning that check off for everyone. That may increase the risk of spam signups and other bad stuff going on on the forum. As I'm not here that often and not dealing with the day to day moderation, I'd prefer not to make that change unless I have some agreement from the people who do. It's a simple change, if one or more of the folks above are able to let me know their thoughts?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:23 am

Unfortunately for the few, I’d probably keep the checks in place.

@Renascent and @Hardartery, it’s probably a waste of electrons, but it may be worthwhile letting your ISPs know that some of these IP addresses are getting flagged wherein maybe they have some recourse?

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:59 am

mgil wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:23 am Unfortunately for the few, I’d probably keep the checks in place.

@Renascent and @Hardartery, it’s probably a waste of electrons, but it may be worthwhile letting your ISPs know that some of these IP addresses are getting flagged wherein maybe they have some recourse?
It simply is not worth the effort to have that discussion with Tigo Central America, LOL. Not only would they do nothing, they likely would not even understand the problem or care. And frankly, I am sure someone is likely spamming via a succession of IP's as they get blocked in due course. It's Central America, someone is taking advantage of the locale. It's just another one of those things that is simply part of life as an expat.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:46 pm

ooooop wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:49 am

Click on Show Details to see if you can request a delisting from this blocklist. This will also display any further information we have relating to this listing.

Don’t panic!
The inclusion of your IP address on the Policy Blocklist (PBL) is standard for the vast majority of internet users and is not the result of your actions. Here are some key PBL facts for your understanding:

This listing is controlled by your Internet Service Provider (ISP), not Spamhaus.
Your ISP lists ranges of IP addresses that shouldn’t be sending email directly to the internet.
If you run your own mail server, and require removal from the PBL, please click on “Show Details” to review your ISP’s policy. Once you have reviewed the policy, please tick the “I am running my own mail server” check-box at the bottom of the page to enable removal.

NOTE: Exclusions are only valid for 1 year. If your IP gets listed on another Spamhaus Blocklist, it will automatically be relisted on the PBL.
"

Anybody else experiencing this issue? It seems to happen regardless of whether I use a VPN or not.
So how many sock puppet accounts are you going to keep making?
Bruh, what’s your game?

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:10 pm

Hardartery wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:35 pmI got exactly the same thing as Renascent, a little bit before he reported it. I installed Opera and have the VPN turned on to get around it, I typically do not use a VPN and I am in a different geographic location than @Renascent
Huh.

Opera is my main browser. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I seem to run into the issue whether I'm using the VPN or not. I think I may have run into it before when using Chrome, though (I hate Chrome).

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:43 pm

mgil wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:46 pm

Don’t panic!

"

Bruh, what’s your game?
Dunno what this dude was up to, but he was deleted.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:05 pm

mgil wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:23 am Unfortunately for the few, I’d probably keep the checks in place.

I'm able to post just fine when I'm using my wifi setup at home. It's when I'm away and using my phone's data that the problem pops up.

Minor inconvenience, but yeah ... I was mostly just curious whether or not anyone else encountered the same thing. I don't see my wireless carrier doing anything about it, but I can work around it.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:22 pm

mgil wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:43 pm

Don’t panic!

"

Bruh, what’s your game?
Dunno what this dude was up to, but he was deleted.
Eh, who knows.

Based on the "feminazi" remark, I'll assume something in my post history made their frothy pee-pee smart a little.

Kinda surprised they opted to forgo "n*gger," to be honest.

oooooop

Post by oooooop » Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:17 pm

Don’t panic!

"

Bruh, what’s your game?
Calling out the awful anti male and anti masculinity bias that a certain minority of these boards perpertrate. Unfortunately it must be done from a safe distance as the oppressive stance forbids open dialogue. We all know who you are backing up. Well I got news for you fat boy. Some of us take this sport very serious. And some of us work very hard for it. Therefore some of us are very successful at it. I consider myself one of those individuals. But you wouldn't be able to relate to that....