Mar-a-lago Bebop

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Trump Gate 2022

DOJ and FBI investigating a for sure serious crime
69%
DOJ and FBI on a fishing expedition
11%
Trump is an innocent bystander being attacked by the political machine
6%
Other
14%

Total votes: 36

oldguy

Re: Mar-a-lago Bebop

Post by oldguy » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:36 am

mikeylikey wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:37 am
oldguy wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:57 pm
mikeylikey wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:11 am
Like if Trump is getting a briefing about a classified subject and takes handwritten notes,
you have a great sense of humor
https://apps.npr.org/documents/document ... -lago-affi

Boom.

Paragraph 47.
Teh Affidavit wrote:Several of the documents also contained what appears to be FPOTUS's handwritten notes.

Probaby " double quarter pounder w/ cheese " but, you win.

hector

Post by hector » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:07 pm

Like if Trump is getting a briefing about a classified subject and takes handwritten notes,

Boom.

Paragraph 47.
Teh Affidavit wrote:Several of the documents also contained what appears to be FPOTUS's handwritten notes.
I'm simultaneously fascinated/terrified at the prospect of reading the notes Trump wrote in the margins on printed classified slides describing nuclear war, imminent terrorism attacks, global crime rings, etc.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:42 pm

hector wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:07 pm

Boom.

Paragraph 47.
I'm simultaneously fascinated/terrified at the prospect of reading the notes Trump wrote in the margins on printed classified slides describing nuclear war, imminent terrorism attacks, global crime rings, etc.
Probably similar to the Jackie Treehorn doodle from the Big Lebowski. Image not linked cuz I’m classy like that.

JonA

Post by JonA » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:20 am

Every time I see this picture of trump on the golf course with his cohorts, all I can think is that Trump is about to go full Leeroy Jenkins. (par for the course, I guess)

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:31 am

I’ve seen that pic referred to as The Last Subpoena.
I lol’ed

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:32 pm

augeleven wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:31 am I’ve seen that pic referred to as The Last Subpoena.
I lol’ed
Nailed it.

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:12 am

Been a rough couple days for ol' Donnie boy.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:33 am

I'm pleasantly surprised by the developments. I didn't realize that it was possible that Trump/his team wouldn't even know what was in the boxes themselves. It seems like they can sidestep the whole "the president can declassify anything they want at any time" issue by simply going "ok cool, what are the documents and when did you declassify them?". If they can't even tell you what the documents are, they can't reasonably claim to have declassified then so we can avoid the whole constitutional issue surrounding classification. At least that's my read of the situation.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:54 am

The appeals court basically wrote a 29 page opinion stating the Federal judge that order the special magistrate is an idiot.
-And that classified documents are 💯 the governments property.
-And even if classified documents are declassified, still 💯 the governments property.
-And there is no authority or privileges given to a former President for any of this.
-Of course the government has a strong interest to control and investigate the handling of classified documents cause duh (the appeals court used the phrase “self-evident”)

There was never a Constitutional issue or Federal law interpretation at stake. The Federal judge Trump selected (because they are a partisan hack) had no basis in the law to rule the way she did.

The DOJ could have gotten the whole special maester thing thrown out but narrowly tailored it to the US government docs. In fact, the special maester plays into the governments hand. Trumps legal team and resources will be tied down to arguing over the remaining documents while the rest of the investigation proceeds.

How does the government take on a billionaire? War on all fronts. Trump is battling the State of New York, state of Georgia, and the DOJ.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:53 am

So, what happens if he hasn't been convicted of anything(or even if he has, and is in jail somehow) and then wins in 2024? Not the most unreasonable scenario. He just pardons himself from a jail cell and life goes on?

hector

Post by hector » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:20 am

hsilman wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:53 am So, what happens if he hasn't been convicted of anything(or even if he has, and is in jail somehow) and then wins in 2024? Not the most unreasonable scenario. He just pardons himself from a jail cell and life goes on?
That presidential pardon is tricky. There was a legal writer on Slate who, in reference to Trump and his kids, wrote that when you're pardoned you give up the right not to incriminate yourself. You have to spill the beans on what happened, you don't have the 5th Amendment anymore, sonce you cant argue youre not incriminating yourself.

I think she was speculating though, because this territory is just so weird and unprecedented.

Pardoning yourself from prison, it's all so crazy. But so is whats happened so far.

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:04 am

hector wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:20 am
hsilman wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:53 am So, what happens if he hasn't been convicted of anything(or even if he has, and is in jail somehow) and then wins in 2024? Not the most unreasonable scenario. He just pardons himself from a jail cell and life goes on?
That presidential pardon is tricky. There was a legal writer on Slate who, in reference to Trump and his kids, wrote that when you're pardoned you give up the right not to incriminate yourself. You have to spill the beans on what happened, you don't have the 5th Amendment anymore, sonce you cant argue youre not incriminating yourself.

I think she was speculating though, because this territory is just so weird and unprecedented.

Pardoning yourself from prison, it's all so crazy. But so is whats happened so far.
This is what's so gross about the modern GOP. Enough of them could have voted to convict during his impeachment (for instigating an actual coup, mind you!) and he would have been barred from office for life. They individually would have been primaried out of politics but their party and their country would have been protected from Trump being president again. But only a very very few were willing to put the interests of the country above their careers, despite Trump being a blatant existential threat to democracy in the US. Blech.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:17 am

Hiphopapotamus wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:04 am

This is what's so gross about the modern GOP. Enough of them could have voted to convict during his impeachment (for instigating an actual coup, mind you!) and he would have been barred from office for life. They individually would have been primaried out of politics but their party and their country would have been protected from Trump being president again. But only a very very few were willing to put the interests of the country above their careers, despite Trump being a blatant existential threat to democracy in the US. Blech.
It kind of upsets me when liberal friends (i'm a lib, I can call them that) don't give any credit where credit is due to people like Liz Cheney. You can disagree with her politics but when it's come to the foundation of our democracy she has done the right thing. I guess it is sad that she is an outlier.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:42 pm

hector wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:20 am That presidential pardon is tricky. There was a legal writer on Slate who, in reference to Trump and his kids, wrote that when you're pardoned you give up the right not to incriminate yourself. You have to spill the beans on what happened, you don't have the 5th Amendment anymore, sonce you cant argue youre not incriminating yourself.
Didn't know this. Read into it more and since the presidency is part of the Federal legislature, pardons only apply on the Federal level so the DOJ may be pardonable, but the States suing him sounds like he couldn't pardon himself from those if he became President again.

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:46 pm

cgeorg wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:17 am
Hiphopapotamus wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:04 am

It kind of upsets me when liberal friends (i'm a lib, I can call them that) don't give any credit where credit is due to people like Liz Cheney. You can disagree with her politics but when it's come to the foundation of our democracy she has done the right thing. I guess it is sad that she is an outlier.
Yep. I can disagree with her on policy 95-100% but she has proven that she has personal integrity, refuses to insist that the sky is green, and actually cares more about democracy than her own career. Which used to be your standard, middle-of-the-road Republican. But going back to 1964 the GOP embarked on a decades-long surrender to the John Birch wing; and that's all the party is today, a bunch of extremist conspiracy theorists locked in a perpetual struggle to get further to the right than the next guy*.

*we do NOT embrace gender-neutral language. It is a mailMAN, libs, as God intended. Deal with it.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:21 pm

I wanted to post this because it made me giggle...this thread was the most relevant. The Onion attributed a quote to Donald Trump in response to his indictment:

"All arrests are politically motivated as the political system is the codified exercise of political power."

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:07 am

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:26 am

Had a look though pages of Off-Topic though didn't actually see a Trump specific thread, so:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/0 ... gniter-rhr

Paywalled/ TLDR: Essentially the article says that lawfare in the political space simply further polarizes an already severely and dangerously polarised electorate.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:45 am

The whole article is worth posting.

https://www.theonion.com/trump-all-arre ... 1850288923

I love the idea of politicians quoting Foucault.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:26 pm

GlasgowJock wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:26 amPaywalled/ TLDR: Essentially the article says that lawfare in the political space simply further polarizes an already severely and dangerously polarised electorate.
Unless if I am missing something, the Manhattan DA should drop this. Yes, Trump technically broke the law. Something about misuse of campaign finance funds. Let's ignore the low level aspect of it and that it isn't worth going through the trial that will most likely make Trump politically more powerful. The idea is we should treat the President or ex-President the same under the law as everyone else. These types of campaign finance laws are broken all the time at all levels. Remove the salacious details and Trump, charges would not be brought.