How'd your training go?

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

psmith

Re: How'd your training go?

Post by psmith » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:28 am

psmith wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:23 am Starting to suspect that I put a lot of thought and money into my training only to get about the same results I would have gotten with, like, crossfit WOD plus a long trail run
Been thinking about this some more as I deal with the fallout. It's not just that I tried something and it didn't work that well, which, after all happens from time to time. I thought I was sensibly incorporating the performance/injury feedback I'd gotten from previous training cycles and tried to optimize, or at least improve, my decision-making process by finding a coach who, as far as I could tell, was the guy for my goals. Then I went to the considerable expense of hiring the guy. Then I got basically the exact same results as I did in the previous couple years when I trained myself: modest progress and an injury that hamstrung, so to speak, the rest of my offseason's training. Arguably worse results, because it's not something I've hurt before! "Great coach ----- has slots available, hire him, that should help you find your weak points and avoid cognitive errors that get you hurt and slow you down. But doctor, I am (already being coached by) -----." I don't trust my own decision-making, but I'm not sure who else's I do trust!

"When they think you're crude, go technical, when they think you're technical, go crude", so I went crude, and now I'm dealing with the injury again. Is this what people are talking about when they say "I used to", when they say they got old or took an arrow to the knee? Life's way of telling me my goals are too ambitious? Fuarrrrrrrk.

/deerdiary
5hout wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:54 pm This is the worst training "block" of my career.
"worst" "training" "block" of my "career" (sorry)

Alternatively, if it makes you feel any better, I remember a Hanleypoast about how he'd had his best results shortly after a bad flu. At any rate, I've been known to think about this when doing 10 pushups and going for a walk while too sick to do anything else.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:18 pm

my knees are getting fucked up from running

How could this have happened!?

houzi

Post by houzi » Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:26 pm

EggMcMuffin wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:18 pm my knees are getting fucked up from running

How could this have happened!?
Perhaps your running shoes are getting a bit beaten up? I remember when I used to do a lot of running, I would buy a new pair of running shoes every year at around the time my knees and ankles started to feel wrecked, at the advice of another far more experienced runner. Seemed to work. I also am very flat footed and when i inserted corrective insoles that further reduced my problems.
Also the running surface may be the issue: concrete vs grass.

GeoffBUK

Post by GeoffBUK » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:11 am

Tweaked my back Squeadlifting my trapbar, very light too, only 84kg, haven't done the movement in a while, that seems to be when it can happen, ibuprofen it is!

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:25 pm

Is it possible to grossly undercount your calorie intake by 500-1000 calories? I've been tracking with MFP for a while to try to get down to 165lb and I cannot for the life of me break 171lbs, I really don't know what the deal is at this point.

Breakfast burrito in the morning must be 1500 calories or something, or my maintenence calories are squarely at 2000 which means I'd need to basically starve to lose anymore weight

James

Post by James » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:42 pm

Easily if you don't weigh everything not in a package or pick the wrong food entry. Like I remember one of the big problems with MFP was the mostly user generated database. Which was error prone.

A breakfast burrito can totally be north of 1000 calories.

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:55 pm

GeoffBUK wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:11 am Tweaked my back Squeadlifting my trapbar, very light too, only 84kg, haven't done the movement in a while, that seems to be when it can happen, ibuprofen it is!
there's something about the trap bar that gives me some really unpleasant sensations in my low back sometimes, not sure why

also the back and forth tipping when using low handles is annoying
EggMcMuffin wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:25 pm Is it possible to grossly undercount your calorie intake by 500-1000 calories? I've been tracking with MFP for a while to try to get down to 165lb and I cannot for the life of me break 171lbs, I really don't know what the deal is at this point.

Breakfast burrito in the morning must be 1500 calories or something, or my maintenence calories are squarely at 2000 which means I'd need to basically starve to lose anymore weight
you might be undercounting or your maintenance could actually be that low, some people are unfortunate in that their NEAT downregulates hard as fuck after some time spent in a calorie deficit (i'm in this camp as well, my TDEE two months into my current cut is like 2400 calories while lifting 5x a week and I'm 6'3" 225 lbs and ~15% ish, not even that hungry eating ~2000 calories a day)

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:46 pm

sometimes I feel like the BBM crowd are full of shit, I'm working full time in retail averaging nearly 6-8 miles of walking a day and it definitely seems to factor into my TDEE/overall levels of fatigue

DCR

Post by DCR » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:01 pm

EggMcMuffin wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:46 pm sometimes I feel like the BBM crowd are full of shit, I'm working full time in retail averaging nearly 6-8 miles of walking a day and it definitely seems to factor into my TDEE/overall levels of fatigue
Do they claim otherwise?

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:35 am

@DCR I agree, it sounds pretty uncontroversial that lots of work, physical activity and stress will negatively impact your training. Now as far as @EggMcMuffin is concerned I feel that it might have to do with not eating enough, since he's on a perma-cut + marathon training.

James

Post by James » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:51 am

I have definitely heard Jordan say you should be able to adapt to a physical job enough that it minimally effects your training. Don't know about the tdee part though.

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:24 am

I worked one summer with a stone mason and it didn’t affect my training.

Also I was 20.

To think that still would be the case now, or even would have been ten years ago (I’m 44), doesn’t compute.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:11 am

DCR wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:24 am I worked one summer with a stone mason and it didn’t affect my training.

Also I was 20.

To think that still would be the case now, or even would have been ten years ago (I’m 44), doesn’t compute.
It would, you just have to eat to accomodate the calorie expenditure. From a guy that worked in masonry as a tender and a mason from the age of 12 up into my early 40's with a few years off here and there doing other kinds of work. You get used to it, but you need to eat for it.

TurtleBear

Post by TurtleBear » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:22 am

Okay so I have been mostly lurking around here. I have posted a few sporadic workouts here and there but my lifting has been sort of a mess for a year and a half now.
About a month ago, I really dug into the Montana Method/low fatigue stuff on here. I also made a change in how I think about scheduling. Instead of having a rigid week to week program, I noticed that @Hanley and some others were just spacing their lifting out based on recovery windows and plugging along.

Guys I haven't missed a workout in over a month by applying these ideas. I have a pretty busy schedule and all the normal ebbs and flows of life. But I am making progress for the first time in what feels like years. I go into most sessions feeling fresh and ready to go. Today's bench session was particularly springy, and I am just super happy about training again for the first time in forever.

So training went great today. Just wanted to give a big thanks to the forum in general, particularly anyone in the Montana Method camp. Now to try and get better about logging....

AndrewH

Post by AndrewH » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:02 pm

@TurtleBear
Great job! Glad to hear that you’re making progress; certainly makes committing the time to your workouts that much easier to justify. Keep it up, log or no log!

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:39 pm

TurtleBear wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:22 am Okay so I have been mostly lurking around here. I have posted a few sporadic workouts here and there but my lifting has been sort of a mess for a year and a half now.
About a month ago, I really dug into the Montana Method/low fatigue stuff on here. I also made a change in how I think about scheduling. Instead of having a rigid week to week program, I noticed that @Hanley and some others were just spacing their lifting out based on recovery windows and plugging along.

Guys I haven't missed a workout in over a month by applying these ideas. I have a pretty busy schedule and all the normal ebbs and flows of life. But I am making progress for the first time in what feels like years. I go into most sessions feeling fresh and ready to go. Today's bench session was particularly springy, and I am just super happy about training again for the first time in forever.

So training went great today. Just wanted to give a big thanks to the forum in general, particularly anyone in the Montana Method camp. Now to try and get better about logging....
autoregulating intersession rest is a really good idea, one of my favorite things I've learned from this forum

TurtleBear

Post by TurtleBear » Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:48 am

Thank you @AndrewH. Yea a lot easier to spend time doing the thing when you feel like the needle is moving.

@janoycresva
Yes, this has been a fundamental shift for me. I wholeheartedly believe that if I went back to saying "I need to commit to four rigid 90 minute training sessions a week" that my compliance would absolutely fall apart. What has been working for me way better instead is "Oh look, time to deadlift again".
I kind of plan on doing something every day, but the sessions are more frequent and shorter. So bench is kind of riding a 48 hour schedule, and deads are riding a 72 hour schedule. Pull ups are every day etc etc. Some days are only 20 minutes, some days are 60.

I think this is where having a home gym is a real advantage.

xuerebx

Post by xuerebx » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:20 pm

Anyone here ever subscribed to Data Driven Strengths' workouts? A few months ago they released their Infinity Programs. Seems interesting but I've never read any reviews by anyone on the internet (forums, YouTube, Reddit etc).

https://www.data-drivenstrength.com/infinity

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:13 am

Unfucking believable that I used to pull 445~ for a single. Literal fever dream type shit. I struggled with 295 1x5 today, like, I had to *stop* in the middle of the set. What kind of SHIT is that!?

Considering that I weight 160~lbs now and am training for a marathon, does this change my "expected" numbers? Like, there is probably no fucking way I can get even close to my old PR's right!? I was like 178lbs when I pulled 445, and I was pulling in the low 300's for sets across and in the high 300's for single sets of five. Like 320lbs is currently a double bodyweight pull (and my 1RM that I test before starting this bum deadlift LP was a harrowing 315) but that seems kinda stupid considering that I can currently do that...like wouldn't pulling my all time best at my current bodyweight be sort of a ridiculous feat? 2.7x BW pull is *strong*

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:11 am

EggMcMuffin wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:13 am Unfucking believable that I used to pull 445~ for a single. Literal fever dream type shit. I struggled with 295 1x5 today, like, I had to *stop* in the middle of the set. What kind of SHIT is that!?

Considering that I weight 160~lbs now and am training for a marathon, does this change my "expected" numbers? Like, there is probably no fucking way I can get even close to my old PR's right!? I was like 178lbs when I pulled 445, and I was pulling in the low 300's for sets across and in the high 300's for single sets of five. Like 320lbs is currently a double bodyweight pull (and my 1RM that I test before starting this bum deadlift LP was a harrowing 315) but that seems kinda stupid considering that I can currently do that...like wouldn't pulling my all time best at my current bodyweight be sort of a ridiculous feat? 2.7x BW pull is *strong*
I mean you've been eating very little and almost not lifting at all for the past year, why would it be surprising that you are weaker than when you were well trained and well fed ?