Sets across vs dropping weight each set?

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

Robster

Sets across vs dropping weight each set?

Post by Robster » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:53 pm

Right now im 4 weeks into the Fierce 5 intermediate upper/lower routine. The only thing i dislike its the sets across on everything. I ran one of andy bakers upper/lower splits and he had you do one set at basically rpe 10. Then drop 10% of the weight for the second set then another 10 for the 3rd set while keeping rest periods a bit shorter. Just curious how do some of u do your sets? Stick with the same weight or drop weight each set? Would it affect strength/muscle gains any doing it one way over the other?

DCR

Re: Sets across vs dropping weight each set?

Post by DCR » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:03 pm

Robster wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:53 pm Right now im 4 weeks into the Fierce 5 intermediate upper/lower routine. The only thing i dislike its the sets across on everything. I ran one of andy bakers upper/lower splits and he had you do one set at basically rpe 10. Then drop 10% of the weight for the second set then another 10 for the 3rd set while keeping rest periods a bit shorter. Just curious how do some of u do your sets? Stick with the same weight or drop weight each set? Would it affect strength/muscle gains any doing it one way over the other?
I take long rests such that the reps mostly don't drop when I'm doing sets across. Whether that's better or worse for gainz - especially within the particular program that you're running - I have no idea. It's just my personal preference / works for me results wise.
Last edited by DCR on Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robster

Post by Robster » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:32 pm

DCR wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:03 pm
Robster wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:53 pm Right now im 4 weeks into the Fierce 5 intermediate upper/lower routine. The only thing i dislike its the sets across on everything. I ran one of andy bakers upper/lower splits and he had you do one set at basically rpe 10. Then drop 10% of the weight for the second set then another 10 for the 3rd set while keeping rest periods a bit shorter. Just curious how do some of u do your sets? Stick with the same weight or drop weight each set? Would it affect strength/muscle gains any doing it one way over the other?
I take long rests such that the reps mostly don't drop when I'm doing sets across. Whether that's better or worse for gianz - especially within the particular program that you're running - I have no idea. It's just my personal preference / works for me results wise.
Yea thats what i have been doing. Just makes for really long workouts lol

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:50 pm

Robster wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:32 pm
I take long rests such that the reps mostly don't drop when I'm doing sets across. Whether that's better or worse for gianz - especially within the particular program that you're running - I have no idea. It's just my personal preference / works for me results wise.
Sure does. I don’t like it, but I like the alternative less.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:29 pm

Robster wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:32 pm
Helps a lot to superset two or even three movements at a time with shorter rests between. For example instead of doing three sets of curls and three sets of tricep extensions with 3 min rests, alternate between the two exercises with 1.5 min rest periods. Or do lateral raises between sets of squats, etc. This is limited somewhat by the equipment and whether you’re in a commercial gym with other people or at home where you can do whatever you want.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:40 pm

I do the first set with a percentage that should allow me to get the reps with 2 reps in reserve, then I remove 5% from the bar and I do sets with the same amount of reps.

For instance:
10x70% 3x10x65%
8x75% 3x8x70%
5x81% 3x5x76%

You get the idea.

The advantages that I can think of:
- I get one set close enough to failure (but not to failure) so that I get used to relatively high weights (for me, for that rep range)
- The other sets allow me to get more good quality volume without having to rest that long between sets
- All of the work is between RPE 6 and RPE 8, which I find is the sweet spot for the big movements.

Note that this is for the main lifts and their variants. For small accessories I actually like doing myo-reps/rest pause/dogg crapp.

alphagamma

Post by alphagamma » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:31 am

For me, sets across work better as long as it isn't too heavy.

A weight/rep scheme which allows your first set to be 6-7 RPE and last set to be around 9 has given me good results.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:22 am

Things like squats and deadlifts .... I like to do a top set and then drop 15% or so.
Just one good healthy drop, and then a fewe back off sets with that same weight (not progressively dropping more and more)
I find that keeping the intensitiy up and grinding out 5's sets across on these^ lifts is a recipe for disaster.
Likewise, just dropping a tad and keep grinding thru backoffs is no bueno ... for me anyways.

Things like bench, OHP, some rows .... if I WANT to do the sets across thing, I can pull that off with these lifts.

AlanMackey

Post by AlanMackey » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:00 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:22 amThings like squats and deadlifts .... I like to do a top set and then drop 15% or so.
Just one good healthy drop, and then a fewe back off sets with that same weight (not progressively dropping more and more)
On average, how many -15% back off sets do you do?

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:26 pm

AlanMackey wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:00 am
mbasic wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:22 amThings like squats and deadlifts .... I like to do a top set and then drop 15% or so.
On average, how many -15% back off sets do you do?

this is with six rep sets

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:15 pm

GZCL has a protocol where you do a top set, and then the back offs as half sets of the original weight. Lower rep sets (3-5) are followed up by singles and higher rep sets you push the sets to three quarters. This allows lots of clean reps for volume, but also you still get a hard set so you can track progress and not feel like you’re sandbagging.
You can also push the rests more like this.

AlanMackey

Post by AlanMackey » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:41 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:26 pm

this is with six rep sets
Thanks