Second belt: suede vs leather

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

timelinex

Second belt: suede vs leather

Post by timelinex » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:30 pm

I have a 2 belts. They are both Pioneer 10mm double suede belts that I have had for like 7 years. One is 3" that I used to use on DL's but no longer need/use (just do 4"). The other is a 4". During my weightloss journey I realized I can probably benefit from a smaller belt now that I've been on the smallest hole for a while.

I'm gonna get a lever belt from Pioneer as it would be nice to try out what using a lever is like and there are minimal downsides. What I can't decide on is 10 vs 13 vs 10 full grain leather.

I don't think 13mm is the best option since I don't compete and it would likely cause more comfort issues. My current 10mm is fine, but because of my built it does still leaves marks and bruises. I get used to the pressure points.

The 10mm leather does seem like a serious contender though. It seems like it's got all the benefits of the double suede and none of the negatives of the 13mm. It's still only 10mm so it's not more prone to pinching than mine right? On the other hand it will have 3.5" more leather which would actually help with rigidness versus the useless but aesthetic suede.

Basically, I'll probably be satisfied with just a 10mm double suede, but I like talking about equipment and want to hear your guys opinion :lol:

51M0N

Re: Second belt: suede vs leather

Post by 51M0N » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:07 pm

If you already get marks from a 10mm suede, don't get all leather. Own a 10mm stock and suede and the stock is stiff as hell compared to the 10mm suede. If you want more support get a 13mm suede, but if you are happy with 10mm get that again.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:51 am

timelinex wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:30 pm I have a 2 belts. They are both Pioneer 10mm double suede belts that I have had for like 7 years. One is 3" that I used to use on DL's but no longer need/use (just do 4"). The other is a 4". During my weightloss journey I realized I can probably benefit from a smaller belt now that I've been on the smallest hole for a while.

I'm gonna get a lever belt from Pioneer as it would be nice to try out what using a lever is like and there are minimal downsides. What I can't decide on is 10 vs 13 vs 10 full grain leather.

I don't think 13mm is the best option since I don't compete and it would likely cause more comfort issues. My current 10mm is fine, but because of my built it does still leaves marks and bruises. I get used to the pressure points.

The 10mm leather does seem like a serious contender though. It seems like it's got all the benefits of the double suede and none of the negatives of the 13mm. It's still only 10mm so it's not more prone to pinching than mine right? On the other hand it will have 3.5" more leather which would actually help with rigidness versus the useless but aesthetic suede.

Basically, I'll probably be satisfied with just a 10mm double suede, but I like talking about equipment and want to hear your guys opinion :lol:
I will say now that i've lost 20 kilos and 6" off of my waist, my 13mm Pioneer lever belt definitely lets me know it's there more.
I'm sticking w/ 13mm on the new Medium i'm having made, (dyed leather, suede inner) but that's the exact same as my current belt.

If i were you, i'd stick with what i'd been using all along rather than go up to 13mm
Also, you could go with the treated leather option (oil dipped in their special formula)
I would have done on my custom, but the dyed light brown (dyed is also a little more pliable than natural untreated) works best with the laser burned image.

timelinex

Post by timelinex » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:42 am

51M0N wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:07 pm If you already get marks from a 10mm suede, don't get all leather. Own a 10mm stock and suede and the stock is stiff as hell compared to the 10mm suede. If you want more support get a 13mm suede, but if you are happy with 10mm get that again.
I thought the problems with the 13mm come from the added thickness. Since thicker means more real estate.

The stock being stiff is kind of the point I thought, as the stuffiness is what enhances your bracing efforts.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:05 pm

timelinex wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:42 am
51M0N wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:07 pm If you already get marks from a 10mm suede, don't get all leather. Own a 10mm stock and suede and the stock is stiff as hell compared to the 10mm suede. If you want more support get a 13mm suede, but if you are happy with 10mm get that again.
I thought the problems with the 13mm come from the added thickness. Since thicker means more real estate.

The stock being stiff is kind of the point I thought, as the stuffiness is what enhances your bracing efforts.
You can brace just as hard in a 10mm belt as a 13.
It's a matter of feel/preference.

A 10mm belt, even double suede is stout af.
As for the thickness, my Pioneer 13mm lever was more comfortable than my 10mm Titan single prong from day one.

That "more real estate" makes for a blunter edge.

timelinex

Post by timelinex » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:49 pm

Thanks for the advice. Ordered the 10mm double suede.