Six attempt meets

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Six attempt meets

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:48 am

Color me interested.
Not that it will ever happen, but still, i would be so down for this.

TimK
Much Mustache

Re: Six attempt meets

Post by TimK » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:20 pm

He’s saying six lifts with two attempts each, not six attempts, right?

So what are the other three lifts? OHP, strict curl, ______ ?

1RM lateral raise? Lol

Any rowing movement would be impossible to judge. I guess a strict chin over bar weighted pullup would work.

Sounds like a fun meet for sure.

EDIT: Wow I totally misunderstood what the guy was saying lol. Three lifts x Two Attempts = Six attempts total... I was thrown off by the "six lifts" phrasing. Anyway that sounds less fun, not sure I would enjoy it as a lifter but yeah as a spectator first attempts tend to be boring.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:23 pm

TimK wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:20 pm He’s saying six lifts with two attempts each, not six attempts, right?

So what are the other three lifts? OHP, strict curl, ______ ?

1RM lateral raise? Lol

Any rowing movement would be impossible to judge. I guess a strict chin over bar weighted pullup would work.

Sounds like a fun meet for sure.

EDIT: Wow I totally misunderstood what the guy was saying lol. Three lifts x Two Attempts = Six attempts total... I was thrown off by the "six lifts" phrasing. Anyway that sounds less fun, not sure I would enjoy it as a lifter but yeah as a spectator first attempts tend to be boring.
I want both ideas... 2 attempts per lifts, SBD and the odd lifts back. English squat (lift off the safeties from the hole back to the rack) anyone?

mouse

Post by mouse » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:37 am

TimK wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:20 pm He’s saying six lifts with two attempts each, not six attempts, right?
Nah, the way he dogs openers I'm pretty sure homeboy means SBD with only 2 shots each...

Strategically more interesting? I guess...

But damned if he didn't find a way to make powerlifting seem even lazier hahaha

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:44 am

In the pursuit of making these meets something that’s not a huge time investment and watchable, I think the 2 attempt idea is interesting.

There are a lot of peeps that sandbag at least one lift, it seems, because the training leading up to the meet wasn’t great for that lift and/or injury.

20-30 years ago, I think a lot of participants had only a decent idea of what they could lift that day, so three attempts seemed reasonable to allow for some meet day calibration. I think the more modern approach to training is probably way more complete and high level competitors have a pretty good understanding of what they can expect that day.

So you get one attempt that’s at 90% or something and then one more to lay the cards on the table. Probably about the same strategy overall.

The one thing that seems like fun to mix up is to have the order of lifts randomized day of competition. People are so used to the SBD progression that they gameplan meet day with their energy budget (lifting and eating) in a way that suits them best. Allowing that to vary makes things a bit more interesting in that the competitor with the best overall prep should be favored, all else being equal.

Doesn’t really matter since I still see the sport struggling to expand much past where it’s at now.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:55 pm

Has anyone every thought of progressing the bar in one single flight, instead of taking the bar back down again and again.

Would make things interesting, because you would have to declare weights, and play some mind game with what you think you could do and maybe force the other guy to ante-up.

Would speed things up for sure.

houzi

Post by houzi » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:41 pm

mbasic wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:55 pm Has anyone every thought of progressing the bar in one single flight, instead of taking the bar back down again and again.

Would make things interesting, because you would have to declare weights, and play some mind game with what you think you could do and maybe force the other guy to ante-up.

Im pretty certain they do this in Strongman competitions for some events. However, I think it leads to large breaks of no activity, in order to let the strongest athletes rest, from what I recall. So the strongest athlete lifts 1000lbs for a second attempt, but no one else has any attempts left, then there is a pause for 10-15 mins for that guy to rest before he attempts 1050lbs or something.

I guess it depends on if you want something always happening, or if you want a certain competition format.

Theres probably downsides to everything though, theres always going to be a break in the action at some point.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:22 pm

mgil wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:44 am Doesn’t really matter since I still see the sport struggling to expand much past where it’s at now.
I'm reminded of Marty Gallagher saying, "if you want to make powerlifting more exciting to watch, take away the spotters."

ChrisMcCarthy1979

Post by ChrisMcCarthy1979 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:31 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:55 pm Has anyone every thought of progressing the bar in one single flight, instead of taking the bar back down again and again.

This is my preferred approach - works well in Weightlifting.

ChrisMcCarthy1979

Post by ChrisMcCarthy1979 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:39 am

Having said that, I'm generally quite impressed at the speed that most meets go at, especially the higher level ones that are strict with the clock.