Stupid Questions Thread

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

CheekiBreekiFitness

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:37 pm

@augeleven Usually when I do conditioning of this kind (like sets of burpess/kettlebells/ pushups etc) I like to play with rest periods. Say you have 6 sets of burpees/chins, start on the first day by doing them with 2 minutes of rest between each set (or whatever rest time is necessary so that the workout is easy to complete), and then each time you see the same workout again do with a smaller rest time.

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:11 am

Yeah, go as slow as you need to in order to finish. It doesn't do any good to go at what you think is the appropriate speed and only be able to do 2-3 rounds. Think of it as an on-ramp, or as trying to go couch to 5k. You'd have to start by going for walks.

With things like this, when I think what I'm doing wasn't good enough, I try to remember that it is more than I was doing before.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:56 am

I'll echo @asdf's advice. He has more experience than me at crossfitty stuff, but I have some experience and completely agree.

You have to find a pace to maintain from start to near finish. You're allowed to sprint at the end if you have gas in the tank, but never start with a sprint. It seems intuitive to race up to a high-ish heart rate then back off and maintain, but for whatever reason it doesn't work like that (imagine doing something like that on a run).

I got much better crossfit wod times/scores once I learned this.

AlanMackey

Post by AlanMackey » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:45 am

What does the Exodus' collective mind think about this style of lifting? It kinda reminds me of Marisa Inda's squatting form.

And his deadlift stance is quite narrow too.

Is there any advantage in that I'm not aware of?

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:54 am

Not really. It works for him. Might not fof someone else. Vince Anello had a very close DL stance too.

AlanMackey

Post by AlanMackey » Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:24 am

MarkKO wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:54 am Not really. It works for him. Might not fof someone else. Vince Anello had a very close DL stance too.
Those squats would destroy my knees, that's for sure.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:19 am

AlanMackey wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:45 am What does the Exodus' collective mind think about this style of lifting? It kinda reminds me of Marisa Inda's squatting form.

Ha, yeah it does look like her form. It’s mostly what I’ve converted my squat to over the past half a year or so, “mostly” because he’s excessively narrow. The reason why I did it - I won’t call it an advantage because whether or not it is one depends on a bunch of personal factors - is that I felt a more knee dominant squat would be easier on my lower back, which had become a problem; would fix what had been my ongoing hip shift problem; and would grow me some quadz and eventually lead to a bigger squat. As to the first two things, check and check. As to the last, I dunno yet, because I only just started knocking out the kind of reps that grow muscle, for me. (In making the transition, I’d been hitting 5s, triples, and singles at various times. I understand that some folks get big on 5s at least. I don’t.) Stay tuned.

What’s weird to me about this dude is that he’s so narrow and yet he doesn’t seem to be looking for a knee dominant movement. It looks to me like he’s breaking at his hips. Compare to, as you said, Marisa, or for another example, this:

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:10 am

DCR wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:19 am
AlanMackey wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:45 am What does the Exodus' collective mind think about this style of lifting? It kinda reminds me of Marisa Inda's squatting form.

Ha, yeah it does look like her form. It’s mostly what I’ve converted my squat to over the past half a year or so, “mostly” because he’s excessively narrow. The reason why I did it - I won’t call it an advantage because whether or not it is one depends on a bunch of personal factors - is that I felt a more knee dominant squat would be easier on my lower back, which had become a problem; would fix what had been my ongoing hip shift problem; and would grow me some quadz and eventually lead to a bigger squat. As to the first two things, check and check. As to the last, I dunno yet, because I only just started knocking out the kind of reps that grow muscle, for me. (In making the transition, I’d been hitting 5s, triples, and singles at various times. I understand that some folks get big on 5s at least. I don’t.) Stay tuned.

What’s weird to me about this dude is that he’s so narrow and yet he doesn’t seem to be looking for a knee dominant movement. It looks to me like he’s breaking at his hips. Compare to, as you said, Marisa, or for another example, this:

He's making his squat as close to his DL as possible. Being a significantly stronger puller than squatter, his logic seems to be that he may as well make his squat just another pull.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:39 am

MarkKO wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:10 am
DCR wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:19 am

He's making his squat as close to his DL as possible. Being a significantly stronger puller than squatter, his logic seems to be that he may as well make his squat just another pull.
That makes sense. I’ll bet you’re right.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:28 pm

Why is it that on lying leg curls, it feels as if my legs are turning out and my knees bother me, but seated leg curls don’t and feel great?

(Related: why don’t I just ngaf and do the one that feels good?)

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:08 pm

@AlanMackey I also squat (high bar, I don't low bar) with a relatively narrow stance like that guy, mostly because my hips are not very mobile, in the sense that I cannot open my legs very far and be strong form that position. It's also the reason why I stopped doing sumo, I was actually weaker in the sumo stance. I don't have knee pain or whatever. I'd suspect that it's the reason why the guy you posted lifts like that.

Also check out Lya Bavoil's squat and deadlift form, she has a very narrow stance.

AlanMackey

Post by AlanMackey » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:51 am

DCR wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:28 pm Why is it that on lying leg curls, it feels as if my legs are turning out and my knees bother me, but seated leg curls don’t and feel great?

(Related: why don’t I just ngaf and do the one that feels good?)
Knee hyperextension?

AlanMackey

Post by AlanMackey » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:52 am

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:08 pm @AlanMackey I also squat (high bar, I don't low bar) with a relatively narrow stance like that guy, mostly because my hips are not very mobile, in the sense that I cannot open my legs very far and be strong form that position. It's also the reason why I stopped doing sumo, I was actually weaker in the sumo stance. I don't have knee pain or whatever. I'd suspect that it's the reason why the guy you posted lifts like that.

Also check out Lya Bavoil's squat and deadlift form, she has a very narrow stance.
You're all gonna make me give it a try.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:05 am

And his deadlift stance is quite narrow too.

It's how pretty much ever French PLer I've ever seen lifts. Works for them, the women in particular as they have set some records recently.

dw

Post by dw » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:14 pm

I'm developing achy shoulders. Joints, not muscles.

Not sure what the movement is that's causing it because I never feel anything at the gym. I think it's it a machine press I started using 6 weeks ago, but can think of a few other unlikely possibilities.

Writing this to remind myself to replace them with something else, or change my positioning.

#sweetblog

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:23 am

dw wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:14 pm Writing this to remind myself to replace them with something else, or change my positioning.
Reasons to start a log here. ;)

imnotsleep

Post by imnotsleep » Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:15 pm

Is there any study comparing the pause squat to the normal squat in terms of power development?

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:45 pm

Say you were a runner, and liked to run all over town, sometimes up in the mountains, and you had an atrophied posterior chain. You have limited time to train due to running so much. Which movement is better in isolation: the squat or the deadlift?

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:18 pm

EggMcMuffin wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:45 pm Say you were a runner, and liked to run all over town, sometimes up in the mountains, and you had an atrophied posterior chain. You have limited time to train due to running so much. Which movement is better in isolation: the squat or the deadlift?
Deficit deadlifts.

cole

Post by cole » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:36 pm

EggMcMuffin wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:45 pm Say you were a runner, and liked to run all over town, sometimes up in the mountains, and you had an atrophied posterior chain. You have limited time to train due to running so much. Which movement is better in isolation: the squat or the deadlift?
Squat is king