Critique my "normal person general strength and fitness program"™

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

Goat

Critique my "normal person general strength and fitness program"™

Post by Goat » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:48 am

I'm not really a super serious lifter anymore, not that I ever was some ultra-dedicated barbell gigachad. I'm mostly training for how it makes me feel, as well as looking good and being generally physically capable.

Here's my current (very loose) plan:

Every day stuff: long walk, one set each of push ups, pull ups and squats. The push ups and squats are done with a weight vest. This isn't really training, it's more just to get something in every day. I don't squat heavy anymore, because my groin cannot handle it. Front squat, back squat, high bar, low bar, every variation of stance width and foot position, doesn't matter. I can't actually TRAIN the squat consistently, so I've given up on it.

Actual training sessions:

Monday, heavy upper body:
Press
Pull ups
Both are done for 5-6 sets, varying the reps frequently.
Supersetting bi's and tri's

Wednesday, heavy lower body:
Sled push/pull
Farmers walks/other loaded carry
These are again both done for 5-6 "sets" (trips?)
RDL or Good Morning, probably RDL. 3-5 sets, reps usually between 6 and 12

Friday, full body power day:
Med ball throws (no idea how to program these yet, I heard 30 throws total is a good idea)
Power Cleans, 5-12 sets of 1-3 reps. Going to vary these around a lot.
Plyometric push ups. Not 100% how I'll program these exactly, probably just gonna start with like 5 sets of as many reps as possible before I start to slow down.

Sunday:
1 hour+ of slow long distance. If there's snow, I'll ski cross country. If there's no snow, I'll ride my bike or go rowing on the river. If the weather is terrible, get on my old rowing machine and go until I get bored.

Anyway, does this sound totally dumb?

DCR

Re: Critique my "normal person general strength and fitness program"™

Post by DCR » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:14 pm

Can you do goblet squats? Grossly underrated variation.

Regardless no I don’t think your program is dumb, given that you said at the outset that you’re just looking for some good feelz and jackedness. I absolutely would do RDLs for your hinge, rather than GMs; I can’t see any good reason to gamble on the risk of GMs if you aren’t using them to build a squat or DL.

Also, I’d add all kinds of curls because they take little time and you might as well have big biceps and be awesome.

Shaun

Post by Shaun » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:18 pm

If upper body hypertrophy (muscle size) is a goal, you'll almost certainly do better with more upper body work. A second, and perhaps even third, day wouldn't go amiss. You could add them to Weds and Friday even.

What equipment do you have access to?

Goat

Post by Goat » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:15 am

Shaun wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:18 pm If upper body hypertrophy (muscle size) is a goal, you'll almost certainly do better with more upper body work. A second, and perhaps even third, day wouldn't go amiss. You could add them to Weds and Friday even.

I figured the daily weighted push ups and pull ups would work as "extra volume" for the upper body, but we'll have to see what happens. Maybe I could add some more bodybuilding on friday.

I only have a bar and a pull up bar, and some dumbbells. Building my sled and farmers handles. It's currently so icy I won't be able to start on those for a few weeks yet.

Goat

Post by Goat » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:16 am

DCR wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:14 pm Can you do goblet squats? Grossly underrated variation.

Regardless no I don’t think your program is dumb, given that you said at the outset that you’re just looking for some good feelz and jackedness. I absolutely would do RDLs for your hinge, rather than GMs; I can’t see any good reason to gamble on the risk of GMs if you aren’t using them to build a squat or DL.

Also, I’d add all kinds of curls because they take little time and you might as well have big biceps and be awesome.

Goblet squats are definitely an option, maybe I could throw in a high rep set or two at the end of my lower body day.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:30 am

Your goals are so broad it's quite difficult to make meaningful criticism, I think.

Shaun

Post by Shaun » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:58 pm

Goat wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:15 am
Shaun wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:18 pm If upper body hypertrophy (muscle size) is a goal, you'll almost certainly do better with more upper body work. A second, and perhaps even third, day wouldn't go amiss. You could add them to Weds and Friday even.

I figured the daily weighted push ups and pull ups would work as "extra volume" for the upper body, but we'll have to see what happens. Maybe I could add some more bodybuilding on friday.

I only have a bar and a pull up bar, and some dumbbells. Building my sled and farmers handles. It's currently so icy I won't be able to start on those for a few weeks yet.
You're right, daily weighted push ups and pull ups will definitely help with hypertrophy - I missed that, sorry.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:52 pm

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:59 pm

Sounds pretty old school and badass. And it looks like it agrees with your stated goals.

I love upper body lifting, so I'd probably have another day of that, but I don't think you're in danger of losing any gainz with this program. I'd love to know if you get much upper body hypertrophy from it though.

I think the daily single sets of pushups, pullups, and squats is interesting and I'm excited to see how it all goes if you end up doing this.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:15 pm

Be Saitama

Goat

Post by Goat » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:47 pm

mgil wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:52 pm What equipment do you have access to?

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:13 pm

mgil wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:15 pmBe Saitama
I’m glad someone made this reference.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:51 pm

Goat wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:47 pm
mgil wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:52 pm What equipment do you have access to?
Gotcha.

I’d cycle a lot of DLs in. Seriously. Do them light and slow. Do sumo. Do them with deliberately low hips to increase ROM. Most of my lower body work is trap bar deadlifts, with a little bit of sumo, occasional goblet squats (often on a bosu ball), and infrequent SSB squats. Pulls have put size back on my thighs and butt, but you gotta work the eccentric.

Goat

Post by Goat » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:01 pm

Thanks for the responses, folks!

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:39 pm

One more thing…

You can likely tolerate 2 days of pulls a week with smart planning. I’m consistently pulling 40-50 reps on DL per week at a minimum.

cole

Post by cole » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:02 pm

Here's how I can tell you are not normal: you have actual bad ass, effective movements in your program and its put together with some thought.

Here's what a normal person fitness routine is:

15 min on elliptical
15 min on treadmill while watching news
15 minutes of machines circuit with reps of 15-20