Post by mouse » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:43 am

3/19/2024

Deadlift
545x1, 585x1, 500x5, 475x4x3

Incline Bench (Neutral)
185x8, 215x8, 225x8, 235x8

Skullcrushers
95x12x3

Belt is clearly back on the deads. Expect inclines and overhead to be neutral grip for a bit because maybe a block press. Gonna try and take advantage of dad time off to go back to 4x frequency for reasons...

mouse

Re: IRON & STONE: Adventures of an Amateur Strongman

Post by mouse » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm

Hardartery wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:02 am
mouse wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:32 am
Hardartery wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:36 am You can try. IME you will likely fail to make a difference, these guys usually don't have the attention span or willpower to execute a long term plan, they need the dopamine hit that leads to failure. My prediction is major injury, walking away from the sport and training altogether and then telling everyone how dangerous it is and how broken it made him from that moment until he dies alone and bitter. Just sayin'. He desperately needs to train with someone level headed, and probably won't.
I think this is mostly accurate, mostly... I don't know if the impending injury will get him to quit outright... maybe, but I doubt he would take up preaching the gospel of light weights and cardio...

Without sounding tooooo much like a mean spirited shit talker, he's very "SS"ish in that he fat fucked himself and has a delusion that it somehow makes him harder than your average gym bro.

The other day homeboy posted a random clip of two gym bros getting in a scuffle and I believe he said something to the effect of 'I would never train in a regular gym because I'd end up yeeting a pretty boy through a wall' so...

There's reasons I've held off on chiming in.
They usually repeat the same injury until it is debilitating and then they walk away altogether. IME. Same thing happens in PL. There is always a sub-set that needs to make it their identity and crusade to the exclusion of reason until they flame out. That is Evan Singleton only he has actual genetics and ability so he persists. He currently has some guys reining him in in training which is why he is doing better and getting hurt less. He is his own greatest enemy, and so is the guy you are talking about.
You may have been right about homeboy.

Just posted that he has a cyst (bakers?) and some cartilage damage in his afflicted knee and he's acting like he is being robbed of a WSM level career. Announced he's taking a social media hiatus "to process this" and all that. Had to cite how he podium'd "four out of six contests" (all novice except one, where he placed 3rd in a class of 3 mind you and was 6 whole points behind 2nd so). "I finally found something I'm good at and it's been taken away".

Dude you're 34, take some time off and do some rehab. Pretty sure there's people out there training with or through way worse...

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:44 pm

mouse wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm
Hardartery wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:36 am You can try. IME you will likely fail to make a difference, these guys usually don't have the attention span or willpower to execute a long term plan, they need the dopamine hit that leads to failure. My prediction is major injury, walking away from the sport and training altogether and then telling everyone how dangerous it is and how broken it made him from that moment until he dies alone and bitter. Just sayin'. He desperately needs to train with someone level headed, and probably won't.
I think this is mostly accurate, mostly... I don't know if the impending injury will get him to quit outright... maybe, but I doubt he would take up preaching the gospel of light weights and cardio...

Without sounding tooooo much like a mean spirited shit talker, he's very "SS"ish in that he fat fucked himself and has a delusion that it somehow makes him harder than your average gym bro.

The other day homeboy posted a random clip of two gym bros getting in a scuffle and I believe he said something to the effect of 'I would never train in a regular gym because I'd end up yeeting a pretty boy through a wall' so...

They usually repeat the same injury until it is debilitating and then they walk away altogether. IME. Same thing happens in PL. There is always a sub-set that needs to make it their identity and crusade to the exclusion of reason until they flame out. That is Evan Singleton only he has actual genetics and ability so he persists. He currently has some guys reining him in in training which is why he is doing better and getting hurt less. He is his own greatest enemy, and so is the guy you are talking about.

Just posted that he has a cyst (bakers?) and some cartilage damage in his afflicted knee and he's acting like he is being robbed of a WSM level career. Announced he's taking a social media hiatus "to process this" and all that. Had to cite how he podium'd "four out of six contests" (all novice except one, where he placed 3rd in a class of 3 mind you and was 6 whole points behind 2nd so). "I finally found something I'm good at and it's been taken away".

Dude you're 34, take some time off and do some rehab. Pretty sure there's people out there training with or through way worse...
I still hope I'm wrong, but he seemed to fit a type and he is never going to let himself actually achieve much.

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:28 pm

mouse wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm

I feel like a dick laughing at this guy but every time you post about him… I do.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:16 am

3/21/2024

Box Squat
255x8, 270x8, 285x8, 295x8

SLDL
320x6, 350x6, 370x6, 410x2x4*

Barbell Shrug
315x10, 335x10, 345x10

There was originally supposed to be a little more here but I wasted a bunch of time not knowing how heavy to do shrugs. I don't think I've ever actually used them and internet bro-advice would say I'm still not heavy enough but this seemed like a decent spot while I figure these out. As I get a bit more comfortable I'd like to target ~405 for 10 or so...

*in the past I've worked up to a top set and then dropped off 10-15% for less reps with shorter rests, I thought it might be an interesting idea to use a similar format but as a way to kind of overload the last set/reps. Let's see if it pays off...

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:55 am

Hardartery wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:44 pm I still hope I'm wrong, but he seemed to fit a type and he is never going to let himself actually achieve much.
Yeah he seems to have gotten some decent newbie success starting out like a lot of us do but now he's trapped in that cycle of thinking the same shit will work forever or leaning on the internet advice community of jackasses. If I've learned anything (and I can assure you it ain't much) it's that (especially) if you self program to learn when you are becoming you're own worst enemy and to avoid it as quickly as you can. This dude hasn't learned that yet.
DCR wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:28 pm I feel like a dick laughing at this guy but every time you post about him… I do.
I get it, and I feel similarly. Same as if I drove by a car crash, I can't help but want to offer assistance, but I know I'm not qualified, so i just kind of sit back and hope for the best...

(if the car crash was REALLY bad I'd at least try though, he hasn't gotten there yet...)

((was the guy in the car crash puffing himself up about how much better of a driver he is than 'normies'? That may also effect my decision lol))

DCR

Post by DCR » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:35 am

mouse wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:55 am((was the guy in the car crash puffing himself up about how much better of a driver he is than 'normies'? That may also effect my decision lol))
This. Considering himself a particularly accomplished driver because he survived the interstate.

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:43 am

3/22/2024

Wide Grip Press*
185x5x 205x5, 215x5, 230x5

Close Grip Bench
225x8, 235x8, 245x8, 255x8

Barbell Row
135x12x4

DB Hammer Curl
30x15x2, 30x14 (pathetic hahaha)

Diamond Push Up
4x15

Reverse Curl
45x20, 45x16, 45x12

*29 inch neutral grip is a fucking trip. That last rep was hard, quads cramped for the first time I can remember on an overhead lol. The good news is 29 inches should be a hair wider than most block presses, based on some sleuthing and that one time I touched a Mouser block... which is who most people copy now...

Train harder to compete easier?

On paper I feel like this doesn't look like much, but a nuclear level pump was achieved. Like where your arms visibly are not straight just hanging at your sides...

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:28 pm

mouse wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:43 amOn paper I feel like this doesn't look like much, but a nuclear level pump was achieved. Like where your arms visibly are not straight just hanging at your sides...
Given your frame, it would be something if you ever went full bro.

In any event, with that kind of pump you know that you’re doing every damn thing right at the moment in terms of training, eating, sleeping, somehow despite a newborn. Rethinking all of my excuses.

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:08 pm

DCR wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:28 pm
mouse wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:43 amOn paper I feel like this doesn't look like much, but a nuclear level pump was achieved. Like where your arms visibly are not straight just hanging at your sides...
Given your frame, it would be something if you ever went full bro.

In any event, with that kind of pump you know that you’re doing every damn thing right at the moment in terms of training, eating, sleeping, somehow despite a newborn. Rethinking all of my excuses.
*blushes*

Ha, best I can do is say I'm considering a quick 'arms day' mini session on Wednesdays but I doubt it would carry over after a return to work.

It would be fun for sure, and if I had a time machine I'd have told 18 year old me to stop being a lazy shit and get to it because I wish I would have known I would have enjoyed this (and been okayish at it) back then instead of in my 30's... I just don't have the time or desire to join an actual gym these days to achieve full bro-ness...

(gotta say I'm also trying to plant the barbell seed with my oldest son as he approaches his teenage years because he's very much built like I am and I can see the potential for him to get yuge if he wanted to do the work hahaha)

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:49 am

3/25/2024

Squat
330x5, 350x5, 370x5, 385x5

Bench
275x5, 285x5, 295x5, 300x5

EZ Bar Curl
85x12x3, 65x19

How is it possible for a 9 lb child to have the piss stream of a full grown man? This many in it really shouldn't surprise me and yet... it still does...

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:24 pm

3/26/2024

Deadlift
545x3, 475x4x4

Incline Bench (Neutral)
200x8, 215x8, 230x8, 245x8

Skullcrushers
105x12x3

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:49 pm

There is a slight irony in that this might be the most I've been just winging it as far as training goes and yet... it might be the most dialed in and in-tune I feel with myself as far as RPE and knowing where to be. If my goal day to day is for the last set to have an RPE 8 or 9 on that last rep I'm pretty much nailing it...

Weird.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm

Training shifted to tomorrow so I could install some doors...

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:51 am

3/29/2024

Box Squat
260x8, 275x8, 290x8, 305x8

SLDL
325x6, 355x6, 375x6, 415x2x4

Barbell Shrug
345x10, 355x10, 365x10

Pull Ups*
1x10

Apparently this is just what this days gonna be hahaha, and let's be honest, I don't care about 'legs'.

*I got influencered by the cerberus spam mail today. I had never heard of 'McGill' pull ups but from what I googled it's breaking them up as singles or doubles with short rests to keep your output high instead of letting it degrade over the course of a set.

Will they do anything, who knows. Will I do them long enough to tell, who knows. Was it sort of a fun and only cost me a couple minutes, sure.

mouse

Post by mouse » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:48 am

3/30/2024

Wide Grip Press
195x5, 210x5, 220x5, 230x4*

Close Grip Bench
230x8, 240x8, 250x8, 260x8**

Barbell Row
145x12, 155x12, 160x12x2

Db Hammer Curl
30x15x3 (last set rest-pause)

Diamond Push Up
4x15

Reverse Curl
55x20, 55x12, 55x9

*that shit I talked about being in tune with RPE? Well, still applies. Even the first set felt not great, but I chalked it up to not having belts. Next two with belts (no wraps) felt hard, but doable. Surely 230 would go with wraps. Eh, I got off track on rep 4 and spent a bunch of time holding it over my head, fifth popped off my chest fine but stalled above my head. I might alternate in a normal grip or even a straight bar next week as this wide grip might be more taxing than I thought.

**wow same here, triceps are more burnt than I thought I guess. That last 5% of the path was grind as shit. This might be because...

Ugh... skip over if you don't like self-deprecating musings...

mouse

Post by mouse » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:07 am

BW: 260.1

I hate to say this is the lowest number I've put down since November, but, here's the dirty behind it.

The week after 4.0 arrived I obviously wasn't keeping track. Lots of convenience meals and relatives piling on stuff we hadn't planned for. I was doing my best not to be terrible (at least I thought) but I was accepting that it wasn't gonna be great.

Week 2 of 4.0 I feel like I was pretty well behaved. Hell I may have even been. At least it felt this way because my wife is also making a concerted effort to drop baby weight. 3.0 is the only baby she didn't immediately drop the weight with, and she attributed that to changes in her body from breastfeeding (1.0 and 2.0 were bottle fed) and lack of a planned diet. So win/win in my book, I help her plan meals, and then I have a partner in crime. Or so I thought...

Somehow, possibly during damage in week 1, I managed to GAIN WEIGHT in Week 2... the fuck. So this week (Week 3) has been very strict. Part by choice, part by circumstance. I've obviously been a little bit busy around the house and yard so it's been 'easy' to cut calories. Basically I've been subbing out a meal with a scoop or two of whey. Breakfast has been 3 or 4 eggs and some ham in a tortilla usually. Dinner I just try not to be an idiot.

This number this morning is about a 4 lb drop from last Saturday. So I doubt it's totally responsible for the drop off in my overhead, but the (I'm reasonably sure) drop off in carbs probably isn't helping.

Anyway, we will see how this coming week goes, and adjust if necessary. Who knows what this does to competitive aspirations, right now I just need to shed this extra weight...
Last edited by mouse on Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:37 am

4/1/2024

Squat
325x5, 345x5, 365x5, 375x5, 385x5

Bench
265x5, 280x5, 290x5, 300x5, 305x5

EZ Bar Curl
95x10x3

Wasn't sure what to expect, but a decent session in the end. Two year old decided he would puke Easter junk all over us around midnight, so that was cool. Left elbow has developed a slight case of AIDS, could be a few culprits but right now I sort of suspect the reverse curls. Might swap those out. Might swap out crushers for JMs in case too...

Didn't dad tax too many Reeses eggs, mostly behaved myself but I for sure had/have a slight bloat from 1) I did a prime rib roast for the first time and it came out awesome, so I indulged. Probably too much of this chocolate PB bourbon creme from Fairport in my (3) morning cold brews. That however is an Easter tradition I wasn't about to break...

Also did a ham on the Weber that came out awesome... apparently the trick is over cooking it...

DCR

Post by DCR » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:00 am

mouse wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:37 am Left elbow has developed a slight case of AIDS, could be a few culprits but right now I sort of suspect the reverse curls. Might swap those out. Might swap out crushers for JMs in case too...
Or if you keep the crushers and aren't doing this already, do let your elbows move where they want to move and let the bar come back behind your head before initiating the push back up. I have no fucking idea how anyone does them with elbows locked in place without getting AIDS.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:24 pm

DCR wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:00 am
mouse wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:37 am Left elbow has developed a slight case of AIDS, could be a few culprits but right now I sort of suspect the reverse curls. Might swap those out. Might swap out crushers for JMs in case too...
Or if you keep the crushers and aren't doing this already, do let your elbows move where they want to move and let the bar come back behind your head before initiating the push back up. I have no fucking idea how anyone does them with elbows locked in place without getting AIDS.
Ya know I was thinking about this, I was thinking in the past I've usually done flat skullcrushers dead stop off the floor... don't think I've ever gotten AIDS... maybe for those reasons...