The DIY Thread

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

murphyreedus

Re: The DIY Thread

Post by murphyreedus » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:10 am

LoudMuffin wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:31 am Anyone ever find a good way to adapt a 1" bar to a 2"? I have an EZ curl I'd like to use, but it only takes standard. I've seen some sleeves online but they seem overpriced, and it seems easier to fab something up instead. I think I'd just get some custom high density foam made at the local foam shop. I dunno.
I'd probably just find a 2" bar, but if you want a cheap DIY:

1.5" ID pipe over the 1" sleeves with a few inches of sleeve left exposed at the end, duct tape wrapped around the 1" sleeves to take up the slack between the pipe and the sleeve, duct tape wrapped tight around the 1" sleeve to hold the pipe on, 2" spring clamps (or axle collars if you have them) to hold the Olympic weights on the pipe.

Brian makes "inner sleeve" collars with duct tape on his DIY axle bar in this video, so you'd just be making a outer one:

Could also make it nicer with shaft collars like Duke does on his DIY bar, but larger shaft collars aren't very cheap:

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:30 am

murphyreedus wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:10 am
LoudMuffin wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:31 am Anyone ever find a good way to adapt a 1" bar to a 2"? I have an EZ curl I'd like to use, but it only takes standard. I've seen some sleeves online but they seem overpriced, and it seems easier to fab something up instead. I think I'd just get some custom high density foam made at the local foam shop. I dunno.
I'd probably just find a 2" bar, but if you want a cheap DIY:

1.5" ID pipe over the 1" sleeves with a few inches of sleeve left exposed at the end, duct tape wrapped around the 1" sleeves to take up the slack between the pipe and the sleeve, duct tape wrapped tight around the 1" sleeve to hold the pipe on, 2" spring clamps (or axle collars if you have them) to hold the Olympic weights on the pipe.

Brian makes "inner sleeve" collars with duct tape on his DIY axle bar in this video, so you'd just be making a outer one:

Could also make it nicer with shaft collars like Duke does on his DIY bar, but larger shaft collars aren't very cheap:

To add to this, a guy on youtube reviewed Brian's video and he used 2" Neoprene couplings instead of duct tape. Much better for long term use in my opinion. They cost 3-5 bucks a piece at hardware store and you can cut them in half (since they always come with 2 hose clamps). I plan on doing this soon.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:44 am

So this might be interesting...

I just got a keg from a dude who was using it for home brewing. He cut nearly the entire top out of it, so there's no good way to seal it like I typically would... so I'm thinking of just mixing up a bunch of concrete, filling it up, and letting it cure like some bastard keg/atlas stone love-child...

51M0N

Post by 51M0N » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:50 pm

Made a DIY belt squat today out of a landmine and spud Inc belt, worked well.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:41 am

Made a push/pull sled.

The sled weighs 60# and I use cinder blocks for weights. I think I'll add a 2x2 rim to keep the blocks from vibrating off.

You can see what lumber was used. The only thing worth pointing out are the replaceable untreated 2x6 skis. I put them on the inside of the frame so the 3/8" bolts holding the skis in place aren't really bearing much shearing load.

I had the pipe laying around, as well as most of the lumber. So it only cost $40 in supplies (this is the male equivalent of girl math).

Maiden voyage (first time using a sled so I'm a little awkward and messing around with the pull chains and resting a really really long time)

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:16 pm

Awesome!
Is that in a nearby parking lot, or your driveway? How loud is it? I assume it wouldn’t work on lawn?

James

Post by James » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:08 am

That looks great. A lot better than my truck tire with a rope on it.

Home Depot sells 2" flat stock so if you wanted you could make skid plates for the skies pretty easy. That would probably last a lot longer on asphalt than wood. Though I don't know if the $60 would be worth it.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:40 am

@augeleven it’s my cul-de-sac. I used wood skis intentionally to keep the noise down (I’ve shoveled enough stone to know metal scraping on asphalt is hella loud). Though after just a couple runs, they showed more wear than I anticipated.

I might have to follow @James advice with the flat stock. But I have no idea how to attach it.

James

Post by James » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:26 am

I'd bend it to fit and use lag screws at the top of the ski on both ends. If you have a torch bending would be pretty easy.

Another option is UHMW. When my jhook pad broke I got a sheet from buyplastic.com. They sell a 6x24x.5" sheet for $30 and I'm pretty sure they'll cut it into strips for you. Counter sink a couple screws and bevel the ends. Though having them cut it will probably make it cost as much as the flat stock.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:37 am

broseph wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:40 am @augeleven it’s my cul-de-sac. I used wood skis intentionally to keep the noise down (I’ve shoveled enough stone to know metal scraping on asphalt is hella loud). Though after just a couple runs, they showed more wear than I anticipated.

I might have to follow @James advice with the flat stock. But I have no idea how to attach it.

I don't know your price point versus labour, but these are ready to go on Amazon. Pre-drilled and everything. In case the link doesn't show up, UHMW Crosscut Sled For Table Saw Sled Miter Bars 3/4" X 3/8" X 17" -Predrilled holes and 20 screws included For Jigs Fixtures or Miter Slots (size 3/4"x3/8") 4 x UHMW Bars