Golf

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

cgeorg

Golf

Post by cgeorg » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:58 am

I see enough references to people getting rounds in that it seems like a thread could be in order. My grandfather was a ranger, and he cut down some clubs for me to start playing when I was 3 or so. I played a lot while growing up, made the JV team my junior year but missed varsity by a stroke my senior year, and seniors couldn't play JV. At that point, I was a mid-high 80s golfer. Lowest round was probably an 82 or so, maybe 38 for 9? Once I left high school I fell off, golfing probably 3-5 times a year. I did a couple summer leagues in my 30s, and last year decided I'd actually put the effort back into golf, with goals of breaking 40 then 80. I proceeded to slice open wrist in April, but I was able to get back on the course in August, and snagged a 38* on my last 9 of the year. That said, I've been wildly inconsistent since that injury. I'm back on the break 80 goal this year though.

How's everyone's outlook for this year? How about Scottie and Nelly? Anyone else into the youtube scene? I'm real glad it introduced me to the Bryan brothers, and Joel Dahmen was a real treat in Full Swing. "Someone's gotta be the 70th best golfer in the world. Might as well be me."

MikeMullany

Re: Golf

Post by MikeMullany » Wed May 01, 2024 2:12 am

I’ll go. Started playing during COVID. Had a buddy who’d been playing a few years, and another friend joined him. They asked me to play one day, and I did. I thought it would just be a new way to hang out and have a few beers. Besides not being good, I didn’t like it because it didn’t feel like hanging out. And then, I don’t know what happened (I probably hit a great shot) but bam, I was hooked. Had some awful rounds, still hit awful shots, (shanks on short game, huge slices with long clubs) but have the ability to hit some very good shots, so that’s what I focus on. I’ve had a few lessons, watched plenty of videos (too many) and read a few books. I have not broke 100 for 18 yet. Have broke 50 for 9 a few times, but I keep an honest scorecard. No gimme’s on the green unless under 1 foot. I add the stroke for lost balls, 2 strokes if I drop in the fairway. I still mostly play with my buddies, but have gotten comfortable enough to walk up and play with a few strangers. I go to the range daily on my lunch hour. I do love the range, practicing different types of shots. And I definitely prefer to hit a small bucket before playing, as it takes me a while to get any feel for a swing. I keep feeling like I am very close to putting g it all together, but then some days I feel like I have never swung a club. People tell me “that’s golf”, but I still feel that I am doing something g very wrong with my wrists/hands on those sideways shots.

I used to lift weights as my primary hobby. Now I’d say golf is my main hobby (along with hiking), and lifting weights supports my golf and hiking. Playing 18 later today
after work which is usually tough, but I am fully addicted