DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Bolder

Re: DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

Post by Bolder » Fri May 10, 2024 1:10 am

Looking like those old-time strongmen with those strict presses and mustache lol.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Fri May 10, 2024 4:01 am

Bolder wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:10 am Looking like those old-time strongmen with those strict presses and mustache lol.
Hahaha I hadn’t thought of that. I love it.

SaviorSelf

Post by SaviorSelf » Fri May 10, 2024 5:37 pm

Your gonna build really good upper back strength with that OHP form too, supposedly really good for shoulder health too

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Sat May 11, 2024 6:58 am

SaviorSelf wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:37 pm Your gonna build really good upper back strength with that OHP form too, supposedly really good for shoulder health too
Felt good to bring them back. Didn't realize until I got into the session how much I'd been missing.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Sat May 11, 2024 7:15 am

5/11/24

Squats 45x6,6 155x6,6 225x4 265,275x1 225x1,1
DB RDLs 45s x10,10,10
Seated Calf Extension Machine 80x20 120x15 140x12 160x8

Notes: Straight trash. Woke up at 3:30am, couldn't fall back asleep because I'm currently really pissed about a lot of home life stuff and couldn't calm myself down. At 5:30 I gave up and went to the gym, which is not a thing that I do. As has been the case for months now, my legs and especially my left adductor were sore as fuck and everything felt like shit. I could feel myself allowing all sorts of hip and torso movement trying to get comfortable and compensate for things hurting, and I got the idea that the bar path likely was junk. Shot some videos from the side and ran them through the WL Analysis app and sure enough, all the fuck over the place. I'm not gonna bother typing out what I plan to do about this because why bother. I'll type out a solution when one actually works.

On the plus side, had no idea the gym had this calf machine. Noticed it only because the 5’2 steroid dork who yells on every rep was yelling while doing it, and it caught my attention.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Sat May 11, 2024 12:54 pm

The best solution - sleep. Easier said than done sometimes though. It's the reason I didn't lift yesterday. On the positive side, it's always nice to discover a new piece of equipment. :)

When I was lifting at a public gym I hated it when people grunted/yelled. Always considered it to be an attention seeking act. Now that I've been lifting at home for a long time I find myself constantly grunting as reps start to get hard. I swear it somehow helps push through those hard reps. I don't think I'd want to stop the vocalizations, but even if I did want to I'm not sure I could. I think about that sometimes when I see video of people lifting in Planet Fitness. I had a membership there at one point. i think I'd end up getting booted out within a day or two now because I'd unconsciously start making noises when lifting, lol.

But yeah, yelling on EVERY rep, dropping or throwing weights intentionally, and other things of that nature are just dumb and annoying. I'm glad that my only worries now are small children and small animals running under the barbell and jumping on me mid set, lmao.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Sat May 11, 2024 3:31 pm

Clearwater47 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:54 pmWhen I was lifting at a public gym I hated it when people grunted/yelled. Always considered it to be an attention seeking act. Now that I've been lifting at home for a long time I find myself constantly grunting as reps start to get hard. I swear it somehow helps push through those hard reps. I don't think I'd want to stop the vocalizations, but even if I did want to I'm not sure I could. I think about that sometimes when I see video of people lifting in Planet Fitness. I had a membership there at one point. i think I'd end up getting booted out within a day or two now because I'd unconsciously start making noises when lifting, lol.

But yeah, yelling on EVERY rep, dropping or throwing weights intentionally, and other things of that nature are just dumb and annoying.
I’m a grunter myself and agree that it does help. But man this dude does partials on every movement, so the reps are quick, and he’s 100% going extra loud for attention, so it’s a constant staccato AH! AH! AH! AH! AH!

Mind you this guy probably is in his mid-50s.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Sat May 11, 2024 3:43 pm

5/11/24 (round two)

Pause Squats 45,95,145x6 195x1,1
Adductor Machine 15x10,10,10

Notes: Yes, I was so upset with this morning that I returned to the gym this afternoon to work on some things. Yes, I’m embarrassed for myself.

The good: Bar path issue solved. A slight pause and keeping toe pressure all the way down and back up did the trick. In other words, shit I worked out months ago but neglected. It never fails.

I also experimented with a significantly wider stance after obsessing over some old Max Aita videos and after being impressed with how sweet @SaviorSelf’s recent squats looked.

The bad: My left adductor is a total mess and the wider stance of course made it worse. Those top singles were singles because they were so excruciating that I couldn’t make myself descend again. I’ve mentioned the adductor repeatedly, but not how I did it: on the fucking adductor machine, stretched way too wide with too much weight. Felt it when I did it. This was in like early February, well before I hit the squat PR. It’s just that it keeps getting worse. I’m reasonably certain that it’s not torn due to the lack of any discoloration, or any discomfort walking around. To me, a strain can be fixed, but I haven’t found the way yet. This afternoon I tried something new - strengthening it. I got back on the adductor machine at the lowest weight and the narrowest setting. It was hard af. I’ll see how it feels over the next 48 hours and perhaps continue with that if it’s any better, or even not worse.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun May 12, 2024 1:08 am

Just FYI I learned the hard way that no discolouration is not a sure-fire indication of no tear; and, TBH from what I know about the adductor walking around isn't something that would necessarily hurt if it *was* torn.

That, combined with what seems to be sudden loss of strength on the adductor machine would suggest to me it's possible you *did* tear it partially.

Not trying to be a downer and hopefully I'm wrong but it's worth considering because I had a really similar experience with my supraspinatus which did turn out to be torn.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Sun May 12, 2024 8:56 am

MarkKO wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:08 am Just FYI I learned the hard way that no discolouration is not a sure-fire indication of no tear; and, TBH from what I know about the adductor walking around isn't something that would necessarily hurt if it *was* torn.

That, combined with what seems to be sudden loss of strength on the adductor machine would suggest to me it's possible you *did* tear it partially.

Not trying to be a downer and hopefully I'm wrong but it's worth considering because I had a really similar experience with my supraspinatus which did turn out to be torn.
Well, fuck.

Just watched a rehab video from the Squat University guy. This is going to suck.

I need to figure out a means of working legs while I do this, assuming that squats are out. I haven’t deadlifted seriously in years. Perhaps now’s the time. Again: fuck.

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Sun May 12, 2024 11:46 am

DanCR wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:56 am
MarkKO wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:08 am Just FYI I learned the hard way that no discolouration is not a sure-fire indication of no tear; and, TBH from what I know about the adductor walking around isn't something that would necessarily hurt if it *was* torn.

Well, fuck.

Just watched a rehab video from the Squat University guy. This is going to suck.

I need to figure out a means of working legs while I do this, assuming that squats are out. I haven’t deadlifted seriously in years. Perhaps now’s the time. Again: fuck.
The more severe adductor strains typically occur at the proximal attachment on the hip (especially the adductor longus). Milder strains tend to occur more distally, at the musculotendinous junction. Increased pain is usually felt during passive stretching with the hip extended, abducted, and externally rotated. You can check for local tenderness by putting a bit of pressure (finger or so) on the ischiopubic ramus, less trochanter, or musculotendinous junction. If I might suggest something, compression shorts would help a lot with the pain (and show-off your quads even more).

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Sun May 12, 2024 12:39 pm

lheugh wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:46 am

Well, fuck.

The more severe adductor strains typically occur at the proximal attachment on the hip (especially the adductor longus). Milder strains tend to occur more distally, at the musculotendinous junction. Increased pain is usually felt during passive stretching with the hip extended, abducted, and externally rotated. You can check for local tenderness by putting a bit of pressure (finger or so) on the ischiopubic ramus, less trochanter, or musculotendinous junction. If I might suggest something, compression shorts would help a lot with the pain (and show-off your quads even more).
Thanks, man. It's right at the top of the inner thigh, not to be tmi but right next to my nuts. If even an inch higher would be more "groin" than "adductor" (not that I have any knowledge of the technical anatomic terms). I can feel the tenderness. I can feel exactly where it is with my fingers, although oddly that doesn't hurt, despite that rolling it with a ball or foam roller does. I ordered a ridiculously overpriced massage gun, but it won't arrive until next weekend or so.

Any ideas on wtf I can do for quads? My maybe unilateral work fml? I guess leg extensions are a quad option but they tend to fuck up my knees, quickly and badly. Squats seem out. In retrospect, it's ridiculous that I've been squatting through it for months.

Hamstrings I think are fine; I can RDL and leg curl with zero pain. I miiiight be able to deadlift.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun May 12, 2024 1:24 pm

Hey, I might be wrong and hopefully I am. Just sounded too similar to the BS I inflicted on myself.

Lay off the legs apart from rehab for maybe a month. It'll suck, but will do wonders for healing. That'll get the ball rolling for repair. If you absolutely have to, see how things like leg extensions and hamstring curls feel. If they are 100% discomfort free, have at it but if they even hint at being a bit iffy, hold off.

It's just one of those things unfortunately. You'll come back from it, and the sooner you address it the quicker it'll happen.

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Sun May 12, 2024 2:00 pm

DanCR wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:39 pm
lheugh wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:46 am

Well, fuck.

Thanks, man. It's right at the top of the inner thigh, not to be tmi but right next to my nuts. If even an inch higher would be more "groin" than "adductor" (not that I have any knowledge of the technical anatomic terms). I can feel the tenderness. I can feel exactly where it is with my fingers, although oddly that doesn't hurt, despite that rolling it with a ball or foam roller does. I ordered a ridiculously overpriced massage gun, but it won't arrive until next weekend or so.

Any ideas on wtf I can do for quads? My maybe unilateral work fml? I guess leg extensions are a quad option but they tend to fuck up my knees, quickly and badly. Squats seem out. In retrospect, it's ridiculous that I've been squatting through it for months.

Hamstrings I think are fine; I can RDL and leg curl with zero pain. I miiiight be able to deadlift.
In my experience, strains respond well to that old adage, motion is lotion. If we were to take squatting as the instigator, the first order of business would be to reduce the load to a point the pain is non-existent to minimal/tolerable. Can up the reps if need be, and/or add a tempo component (eccentric especially). If that doesn't help, the adductors are the main contributors from the end ROM and decrease the more you stand up, so reducing the ROM either alone or with the former possibilities could be helpful. But if those two don't pan out, then changing the exercise altogether might be in order. If you have access to any leg presses, hack squats, etc., I would say it is well worth playing around with them (narrower foot stance to minimise adductor discomfort if need be etc.). The ideal imo is to find a way to involve the adductors, albeit in a tolerable fashion. Start easy and steadily go up in whatever loading paradigm you want, while maintaining that tolerance. If the pain shoots up, you might have been a tad too aggressive. Blood flow to the region is key.

SaviorSelf

Post by SaviorSelf » Sun May 12, 2024 5:33 pm

That sucks to hear. Am I reading it right that the hip machine doesn't hurt, its just hard? If so, focusing on that might not be a bad play

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Sun May 12, 2024 5:42 pm

SaviorSelf wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:33 pm That sucks to hear. Am I reading it right that the hip machine doesn't hurt, its just hard? If so, focusing on that might not be a bad play
I wish - it hurt like a motherfucker. Was hoping that despite that, it would perhaps feel better with some blood flow? Ha, nope - mess today. I think @lheugh is right that any adductor work is gonna need to be indirect (or from absolute scratch, like gently squeezing a big ball between my knees).
Last edited by DanCR on Sun May 12, 2024 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaviorSelf

Post by SaviorSelf » Sun May 12, 2024 5:44 pm

Hmm I'm even wondering if putting a band between your knees to assist the adductors while squatting would alleviate some of it

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun May 12, 2024 8:07 pm

DanCR wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:42 pm
SaviorSelf wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:33 pm That sucks to hear. Am I reading it right that the hip machine doesn't hurt, its just hard? If so, focusing on that might not be a bad play
I wish - it hurt like a motherfucker. Was hoping that despite that, it would perhaps feel better with some blood flow? Ha, nope - mess today. I think @lheugh is right that any adductor work is gonna need to be indirect (or from absolute scratch, like gently squeezing a big ball between my knees).
Ok, that would say to me there's a really high chance it's a partial tear. So yeah, I'll reiterate that IME you'll be best served by doing nothing but rehab exercises on your legs for about four weeks. That should give the adductor all the motion it needs to promote repair without risking further damage.

I would absolutely avoid squatting for those four weeks, and then spend another few weeks reintroducing squatting as an exercise with goblet squats or something.

Again, I'm going by my experience with my shoulder. It didn't come good until I stopped all benching and spent a month doing pure rehab work on it. After that, it was fine to bench carefully and light.

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Mon May 13, 2024 12:21 am

Sorry to hear you have adductor problems, @DanCR . Hope you get better soon.

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Mon May 13, 2024 2:54 am

Sorry about the adductor, my guy. Can't say much of it since I haven't experienced it myself.

Well, it kind of sucks that it seems to affect your bench pressing as well. Maybe you can be able to get away with some larsen pressing? Not using your legs on the bench.

On the brighter side, I suppose this also means an OHP and deadlift arc? Probably a good chance to pump up those arms as well.