DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

James

Re: DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

Post by James » Mon May 13, 2024 5:49 am

MarkKO wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:07 pm Ok, that would say to me there's a really high chance it's a partial tear. So yeah, I'll reiterate that IME you'll be best served by doing nothing but rehab exercises on your legs for about four weeks. That should give the adductor all the motion it needs to promote repair without risking further damage.

I would absolutely avoid squatting for those four weeks, and then spend another few weeks reintroducing squatting as an exercise with goblet squats or something.

Again, I'm going by my experience with my shoulder. It didn't come good until I stopped all benching and spent a month doing pure rehab work on it. After that, it was fine to bench carefully and light.
Yeah I just got done dealing with hip/groin bullshit and the only thing that helped with laying off barbell squats for a week.

Hope you feel better.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Mon May 13, 2024 6:49 am

Same as what others have said. Hope the adductor shit heals up quickly.

EricK
Marine Mammal

Post by EricK » Mon May 13, 2024 7:41 am

Sorry to hear about your adductor, man. Take it easy to let it heal right.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Mon May 13, 2024 4:42 pm

5/13/24

Superset:
Bench Press 45,135,185,225x5 255x2 275x1 285x1,1
DB Bent Rows 50s, 60s x10 65s x7,7,10

Superset:
Seated Arnold Presses 45s x10,9,7
Standing Alternating DB Curls 40s x7,7,7

Notes: About those two top singles. Motherfucker swore he didn’t steal the first one, but he absolutely did. It was a joke. I was livid, sat there for ten minutes, got a different spotter, and holy shit that second one was maybe the worst grind I’ve ever pushed through. If I’m being honest, the guy probably should have taken it from me; big ups to him for being a pro. I’m so angry about my injury that, man, I needed that damn rep.

Speaking of the adductor, it kills me, but I’m gonna take @MarkKO’s advice and leave squatting alone for the time being - until it works itself out, however long that takes. In the meantime I’m going to be RDLing, leg curling, and leg extension-ing til I’m blue. Hoping that I can find a way to do the last of those that my knees don’t hate. I truly appreciate everyone who chimed in with thoughts.

All of the @10 work is starting to pack on some meat. Pleased with that at least.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon May 13, 2024 4:56 pm

DanCR wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:42 pm 5/13/24

Superset:
Bench Press 45,135,185,225x5 255x2 275x1 285x1,1
DB Bent Rows 50s, 60s x10 65s x7,7,10

Superset:
Seated Arnold Presses 45s x10,9,7
Standing Alternating DB Curls 40s x7,7,7

Notes: About those two top singles. Motherfucker swore he didn’t steal the first one, but he absolutely did. It was a joke. I was livid, sat there for ten minutes, got a different spotter, and holy shit that second one was maybe the worst grind I’ve ever pushed through. If I’m being honest, the guy probably should have taken it from me; big ups to him for being a pro. I’m so angry about my injury that, man, I needed that damn rep.

Speaking of the adductor, it kills me, but I’m gonna take MarkKO’s advice and leave squatting alone for the time being - until it works itself out, however long that takes. In the meantime I’m going to be RDLing, leg curling, and leg extension-ing til I’m blue. Hoping that I can find a way to do the last of those that my knees don’t hate. I truly appreciate everyone who chimed in with thoughts.

All of the @10 work is starting to pack on some meat. Pleased with that at least.

It'll suck now, but should significantly reduce your 'out' time. I wouldn't get too invested in exercise selection either, until you know what is and isn't pain-free because pain is your friend right now. What doesn't hurt is what you should be doing APART from the rehab work which won't be comfortable.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon May 13, 2024 5:38 pm

I was typing something but I must have got distracted and never hit submit...

Anyway +1 feet up benching (although you just benched and didn't mention it bugging you, but whatever... more benching)

You ever use snatch grip deads? Curious if they would bother you... I used to dig them for the extra quads...

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Mon May 13, 2024 5:51 pm

mouse wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:38 pm I was typing something but I must have got distracted and never hit submit...

Anyway +1 feet up benching (although you just benched and didn't mention it bugging you, but whatever... more benching)

You ever use snatch grip deads? Curious if they would bother you... I used to dig them for the extra quads...
Yeah benching was no issue because it’s not like I properly leg drive haha.

Never have tried SGDL. I’ve got lower body on Wed and will gently see if they’re a possibility.

houzi

Post by houzi » Mon May 13, 2024 7:28 pm

Sucks about the injury.

Time to get really really good at bench!

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Mon May 13, 2024 9:10 pm

MarkKO wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:56 pmIt'll suck now, but should significantly reduce your 'out' time. I wouldn't get too invested in exercise selection either, until you know what is and isn't pain-free because pain is your friend right now. What doesn't hurt is what you should be doing APART from the rehab work which won't be comfortable.
Hey, what did you mean by the bolded portion?

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue May 14, 2024 1:33 am

@DanCR It'll suck to shelve squats for a few weeks and have to figure out what leg work is pain free, but doing so will reduce the amount of time you end up having to not squat because it'll let your adductor heal properly

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Tue May 14, 2024 4:45 am

MarkKO wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:33 am @DanCR It'll suck to shelve squats for a few weeks and have to figure out what leg work is pain free, but doing so will reduce the amount of time you end up having to not squat because it'll let your adductor heal properly
Got it - thank you.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Tue May 14, 2024 6:57 am

dude, dealing with adductor stuff sucks. heal well, man.

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:34 am

Being *forced* to be a bench bro and get your upper body strong and swole isn't the worst thing. It's hard to frame something like this as an opportunity, but if you can see it that way it's really helpful.

My favorite contest got cancelled, and I'm bummed, but I'm trying to look at it as extra prep time for contests in the fall.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Tue May 14, 2024 11:22 am

lehman906 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:34 am Being *forced* to be a bench bro and get your upper body strong and swole isn't the worst thing. It's hard to frame something like this as an opportunity, but if you can see it that way it's really helpful.

My favorite contest got cancelled, and I'm bummed, but I'm trying to look at it as extra prep time for contests in the fall.
This is what I'm leaning into.

Also, I've been bitching that my legs have been deeply sore for what now is months. There has not been one day when I woke up not sore, since I hit the squat PR in late March. No amount of "getting some bloodflow" has made any difference. This forced time off should finally cleanse me of the soreness. I have half a mind to skip tomorrow's lower body day entirely, but I'm pretty convinced that the soreness all has been the endless squatting. I should survive some very light leg extensions.

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:28 am

DanCR wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:22 am
lehman906 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:34 am Being *forced* to be a bench bro and get your upper body strong and swole isn't the worst thing. It's hard to frame something like this as an opportunity, but if you can see it that way it's really helpful.

This is what I'm leaning into.

Also, I've been bitching that my legs have been deeply sore for what now is months. There has not been one day when I woke up not sore, since I hit the squat PR in late March. No amount of "getting some bloodflow" has made any difference. This forced time off should finally cleanse me of the soreness. I have half a mind to skip tomorrow's lower body day entirely, but I'm pretty convinced that the soreness all has been the endless squatting. I should survive some very light leg extensions.
I've experienced the same thing when I've tried to do full strength training and strongman training days. I've had to realize that events day is basically a leg day and a back day, and adjust accordingly. For me, it's better to come in possibly slightly undertrained but fresh than squeezing every ounce of stimulus out but riding the edge of fatigue.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue May 14, 2024 1:15 pm

This is IME the gold standard of how to look at such a situation.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Tue May 14, 2024 1:57 pm

Traps are the new abs and I'm jelly of the fullness of your hair.

And once your taint heals you'll quickly regain any squat losses. I've nursed a few nagging not-quite-injuries for weeks to months only to have them disappear after actually taking some time off from lifting.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Tue May 14, 2024 3:00 pm

broseph wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:57 pm Traps are the new abs and I'm jelly of the fullness of your hair.

acorn93

Post by acorn93 » Tue May 14, 2024 4:30 pm

DanCR wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:51 pm Never have tried SGDL. I’ve got lower body on Wed and will gently see if they’re a possibility.
I’d suggest straps and wearing pants or at least long socks. They tend to scrape my shins worse than conventional deads. Also watch out for the family jewels…

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Wed May 15, 2024 2:47 pm

5/15/24

Leg Extensions 20x10,10,10,10 (pauses at top)
Lying Leg Curls 75x6,6,7,7,7
Seated Calf Raises 80x12,12,12,12,12+45 x10 (drop set)
Adductor Pulses x20,20,20

Notes: This is going to be "legs" for the next while FML, with RDLs in place of leg curls every other session. Leg extensions always have fucked my knees, but I read recently that it's better to sit back (rather than lean forward), which is the opposite of what I had thought, so I did that and they seemed fine. Granted it was the lowest setting on the machine, but with the pauses the shit actually wasn't easy.

Adductor pulses are just putting a foam roller between my knees and squeezing with like 30% of my strength (for now). Felt the fucker, but it wasn't like I wanted to holler like I have when squatting.

Deadlifting a no go. Tried it, couldn't get into position. I could do stiff legged DLs but fuck that; RDLs will suffice.

I have ideas about the hip thrust machine and smith machine, but couldn't get on any of them and figured that probably was for the best.

For myself: the leg extension set up: seat 6, arm 2, pad second from top.
Last edited by DanCR on Wed May 15, 2024 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.