DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Post Reply
SaviorSelf
Registered User
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:26 pm

Re: DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

#1581

Post by SaviorSelf » Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:04 am

What are the deets on Zak’s progression? That’s a bench program?

User avatar
DanCR
Registered User
Posts: 4107
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:06 am
Location: Louisiana / New York
Age: 45

Re: DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

#1582

Post by DanCR » Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:22 am

Clearwater47 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:58 am Great work with the KB Swings.

I found the same thing with bench after trying a faster descent this week. Can to basically the same conclusion - that it's probably not the best approach when benching for reps, but could be better when doing singles.
Glad it wasn’t just me!

I’m not gonna say that I’ve never been able to lock in on reps, and it’s amazing when it happens out of nowhere, but it’s rare.

User avatar
DanCR
Registered User
Posts: 4107
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:06 am
Location: Louisiana / New York
Age: 45

Re: DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

#1583

Post by DanCR » Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:30 am

SaviorSelf wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:04 am What are the deets on Zak’s progression? That’s a bench program?
Can be used for any of the compound movements as far as I understand. I’ve also used it for squats.

This is the original progression, first number is percent of training max, second is reps. Three weeks, on fourth week deload kd that’s your thing, or add to the training max and start over.

1. 60/10, 70/8, 75/6, 80/4, 70/PR
2. 60/10, 70/8, 75/6, 80/4, 85/2, 75/PR
3. 60/10, 70/8, 75/6, 80/4, 85/2, 90/1, 80/PR

Later on his posted a heavier, truncated version, as follows:

1. 60/8, 75/6, 85/4, 75/PR
2. 60/8, 75/6, 85/4, 90/2, 80/PR
3. 60/8, 75/6, 85/4, 90/2, 95/1, 85/PR

I’m going to do the second version this time. There are a few reasons why I think that the original version is better for me generally, but the idea of starting all over on something that I did before is no good mentally. I’d like a new challenge.

User avatar
DanCR
Registered User
Posts: 4107
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:06 am
Location: Louisiana / New York
Age: 45

Re: DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

#1584

Post by DanCR » Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:29 pm

6/8/24

Leg Press sled, 50,90,140x10 (setup can see one and a half holes)
Leg Extension 30,50,70x10 90x10,10 (setup 7.,2,second from top)
Lying Leg Curls 25,45x10 60x10,10
Seated Calf Extension Machine 60,120,160x10 180x17,17
Squats 45x5 105x3,3,3

KB Swings 40,40,40,25,25,30,25,25,25,30,20,20,20 =365
Day fourteen, 5000 total swings

Notes: Thank you, @alek, and whomever else it was who suggested leg press previously. I know that someone did. Could feel the adductor but it was mostly fine and I enjoyed it. Only negative was that I could feel my lower back not necessarily loving it, but I think that that’s something that I can figure out if I play with the setup. I’m confident that these were the lightest leg presses ever done in my gym, but also that they were the deepest by at least a foot.

Other than now being halfway through the KB challenge and on track to finish two days early, nothing else noteworthy other than this being a solid session. Probably because last night I slept seven straight hours without waking at all, which is unheard of for me.

User avatar
alek
Registered User
Posts: 3195
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:11 pm
Location: 2 gainzZz goblinz
Age: 42

Re: DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

#1585

Post by alek » Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:38 pm

I did ask you about once recently, so maybe me.

I'm glad it mostly worked out for you--low back aside... One thing that I do is get a bar pad/manpon/whatever it's actually called and put it behind my lowback/upper butt area while leg pressing. Dr. Mike at RP recommended that as a way to keep your back from hurting during leg press. Works for me!

csaba2208
Registered User
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:33 am

Re: DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

#1586

Post by csaba2208 » Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:46 pm

Good suggestion re Low back on leg press. Similar thing with same result that's worked well for me is taking a massive breath on the descent, forcing me to keep chest high/proud chest. Really helps to keep low back locked in

User avatar
DanCR
Registered User
Posts: 4107
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:06 am
Location: Louisiana / New York
Age: 45

Re: DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

#1587

Post by DanCR » Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:57 am

Thanks, @alek and @csaba2208. Gonna try both of those recommendations.
___________________

6/9/24

KB Swings 28 kg / 61.74 lbs x20,20,20,25,25,20,20,25,25,20,20,20,20,25,20,20 =345

Day fifteen, 5345 total swings.

Bumped up to the heaviest bell in the gym. Was unpleasant.

SaviorSelf
Registered User
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:26 pm

Re: DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

#1588

Post by SaviorSelf » Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:15 am

When I tried leg press, I also got the sore low back too. Supposedly its caused by going too low, your low back will have to roll up to get more depth. Your squat form is really deep, so if your replicating that on leg press that's probably doing it

User avatar
DanCR
Registered User
Posts: 4107
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:06 am
Location: Louisiana / New York
Age: 45

Re: DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

#1589

Post by DanCR » Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:22 am

SaviorSelf wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:15 am When I tried leg press, I also got the sore low back too. Supposedly its caused by going too low, your low back will have to roll up to get more depth. Your squat form is really deep, so if your replicating that on leg press that's probably doing it
Dude, my knees were like next to my head haha.

User avatar
alek
Registered User
Posts: 3195
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:11 pm
Location: 2 gainzZz goblinz
Age: 42

Re: DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

#1590

Post by alek » Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:49 am

I found this clip from Dr. Mike:



I do it with the manpon at the uni gym, and the Y has ab mats, which are good for it, too.

User avatar
DanCR
Registered User
Posts: 4107
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:06 am
Location: Louisiana / New York
Age: 45

Re: DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

#1591

Post by DanCR » Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:03 pm

6/10/24

Superset:
Press 45x5,5 95x5,5 135x5 152.5x3 165x1 177.5x1
KB Swings 28 kg / 61.74 lbs x7s x25r =175

Superset:
Pullups (pauses at top and bottom) x4,4,4
KB Swings x3s x25r =75

Superset:
Low Incline DB Bench Press 65s x7,7,7
KB Swings x4s x25r =100

Preset EZ Curls (one min rests) 70x7,5,5

Day sixteen, 5705 total swings

177.5:




Notes: Pic (in which I swear that I’m not sucking in) is because I said that the swings were giving me some recomp, and I was insecure about how fat I looked arching for that press.

Tasting the press PR that I’m gonna get next week or the following week.

Switched incline DB bench back to low incline because I like it better and it’s closer to flat barbell bench, for which I’m using it as assistance (because I lied about only caring about getting jacked now).

I hate to be influenced by a damn… well, influencer, but Paris Butler just was saying how he dislikes weighting BW movements and feels they all should be done with total control, paused, and the like. I’m permitting myself to be influenced by that because I’ve always felt the same (and did all movements that way during my BW only phase) despite straying. I believe in horse cocking weights, but feel the opposite about BW movements. Anyway, added a pause at both ends of my pullups and they were so satisfying.

For the second straight time, I couldn’t finish this session. Couldn’t stand the thought of incline DB curls and did EZ curls instead (and sucked, which told me that I’d made the right decision), and skipped French press, lateral raises, and my squat LP. Obviously, doing this session with 350 swings isn’t the same as doing it without, and I was totally beat up, but still was pissed. May fill that stuff in tomorrow.

SaviorSelf
Registered User
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:26 pm

Re: DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

#1592

Post by SaviorSelf » Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:09 pm

Just looking back at some of your older footage, it does look like your recomping some

I know how you feel though, sometimes you see yourself at the wrong angle, and it has you feeling like this (guy used a weight filter on his brother to prank him):



Good luck on the upcoming PR

User avatar
DanCR
Registered User
Posts: 4107
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:06 am
Location: Louisiana / New York
Age: 45

Re: DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

#1593

Post by DanCR » Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:35 pm

SaviorSelf wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:09 pm Just looking back at some of your older footage, it does look like your recomping some
Appreciate that, greatly.

User avatar
EricK
Marine Mammal
Posts: 2804
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:02 pm

Re: DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

#1594

Post by EricK » Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:24 am

DanCR wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:03 pm I hate to be influenced by a damn… well, influencer, but Paris Butler just was saying how he dislikes weighting BW movements and feels they all should be done with total control, paused, and the like. I’m permitting myself to be influenced by that because I’ve always felt the same (and did all movements that way during my BW only phase) despite straying. I believe in horse cocking weights, but feel the opposite about BW movements. Anyway, added a pause at both ends of my pullups and they were so satisfying.
I would regard that as good advice. They feel better, but certainly not "easier" when well-controlled.

User avatar
DanCR
Registered User
Posts: 4107
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:06 am
Location: Louisiana / New York
Age: 45

Re: DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

#1595

Post by DanCR » Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:13 pm

alek wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:49 am I found this clip from Dr. Mike:
Watched this - very helpful for that and a few other points - thank you.

User avatar
DanCR
Registered User
Posts: 4107
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:06 am
Location: Louisiana / New York
Age: 45

Re: DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

#1596

Post by DanCR » Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:15 pm

6/11/24

Squats 45x5 105x5,5,5
KB Swings 28 kg / 61.74 lb x6s x30r =180
… hour and a half break for life related bullshit…
x6s x30r, x2s x20r =220

Day seventeen, 6105 total swings

User avatar
EricK
Marine Mammal
Posts: 2804
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:02 pm

Re: DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

#1597

Post by EricK » Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:36 pm

DanCR wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:15 pm 6/11/24

Squats 45x5 105x5,5,5
KB Swings 28 kg / 61.74 lb x6s x30r =180
… hour and a half break for life related bullshit…
x6s x30r, x2s x20r =220

Day seventeen, 6105 total swings
I imagine you sit a couple inches higher with the leg pump you gotta have going on at this point...

User avatar
DanCR
Registered User
Posts: 4107
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:06 am
Location: Louisiana / New York
Age: 45

Re: DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

#1598

Post by DanCR » Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:43 pm

EricK wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:36 pm
DanCR wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:15 pm 6/11/24

Squats 45x5 105x5,5,5
KB Swings 28 kg / 61.74 lb x6s x30r =180
… hour and a half break for life related bullshit…
x6s x30r, x2s x20r =220

Day seventeen, 6105 total swings
I imagine you sit a couple inches higher with the leg pump you gotta have going on at this point...
Dude, it’s everywhere. Hams, glutes, lower back, forearms. Of course all of those things, as well as my wrists, also are aching. After yesterday my lower back was pissed, so today I made sure to brace my abs as tight as possibly for all of each set. Now I can add abdominal spasms to the list.

SeeMac
Registered User
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:59 am

Re: DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

#1599

Post by SeeMac » Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:46 pm

DanCR wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:43 pm
EricK wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:36 pm
DanCR wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:15 pm 6/11/24

Squats 45x5 105x5,5,5
KB Swings 28 kg / 61.74 lb x6s x30r =180
… hour and a half break for life related bullshit…
x6s x30r, x2s x20r =220

Day seventeen, 6105 total swings
I imagine you sit a couple inches higher with the leg pump you gotta have going on at this point...
Dude, it’s everywhere. Hams, glutes, lower back, forearms. Of course all of those things, as well as my wrists, also are aching. After yesterday my lower back was pissed, so today I made sure to brace my abs as tight as possibly for all of each set. Now I can add abdominal spasms to the list.
It's fun isnt it?

User avatar
DanCR
Registered User
Posts: 4107
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:06 am
Location: Louisiana / New York
Age: 45

Re: DanCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

#1600

Post by DanCR » Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:51 pm

SeeMac wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:46 pm
DanCR wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:43 pm
EricK wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:36 pm
DanCR wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:15 pm 6/11/24

Squats 45x5 105x5,5,5
KB Swings 28 kg / 61.74 lb x6s x30r =180
… hour and a half break for life related bullshit…
x6s x30r, x2s x20r =220

Day seventeen, 6105 total swings
I imagine you sit a couple inches higher with the leg pump you gotta have going on at this point...
Dude, it’s everywhere. Hams, glutes, lower back, forearms. Of course all of those things, as well as my wrists, also are aching. After yesterday my lower back was pissed, so today I made sure to brace my abs as tight as possibly for all of each set. Now I can add abdominal spasms to the list.
It's fun isnt it?
A laugh a minute.

Seriously, though, I do feel much less like an out of shape turd than I did three weeks ago, actual weight loss or not. Scale has scarcely moved but I think that I may have gained muscle.

Post Reply