Titan Fitness Warranty

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Should Titan Fitness

Offer full warranty/replacement/refund
No votes
Offer partial warranty/replacement/refund
100%
Tell me to shove it
No votes

Total votes: 7

gtl

Titan Fitness Warranty

Post by gtl » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:03 am

Let me first say that I am not a Titan hater, nor do I expect perfection at their pricepoint. I have 2 of their racks, accessories, deadlift jack, etc.

Both of these were purchased in around May 2017 and these pictures are from November (when I first contacted them about the issues). The powder coat on the landmine handle started chipping away. I've only had it rest on rubber mats the entire time. The pullup bar is rusting through the powdercoat.

Titan wants to offer me 1000 reward points, or a $50 partial refund, stating that I purchased these back in May and don't qualify for a full refund.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Re: Titan Fitness Warranty

Post by Allentown » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:05 am

I'd probably take the partial refund, then wire brush & rattle can it.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:15 am

Allentown wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:05 am I'd probably take the partial refund, then wire brush & rattle can it.
Me too. It's unfortunate though.

Did the paint on the landmine attachment just flake off? I haven't seen that happen with much of their stuff.

I have seen paint chip off a Rogue j-hook (but not the bench). The paint on the Titan hooks scratch and rub off, same with the racks. Though some paint is chipped off the wall mount on my Titan fold out rack. This reminds me, I need to get some rustoleum on that before it rusts.

My basement is only humid in August. Is your equipment stored in a very humid place? Did you leave a lot of chalk on the bar and handle. (I'd like to know if there is some way to avoid this happening. . .) Regardless, it looks like a bad paint job.

gtl

Post by gtl » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:24 am

iamsmu wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:15 am Me too. It's unfortunate though.

Did the paint on the landmine attachment just flake off? I haven't seen that happen with much of their stuff.

I have seen paint chip off a Rogue j-hook (but not the bench). The paint on the Titan hooks scratch and rub off, same with the racks. Though some paint is chipped off the wall mount on my Titan fold out rack. This reminds me, I need to get some rustoleum on that before it rusts.

My basement is only humid in August. Is your equipment stored in a very humid place? Did you leave a lot of chalk on the bar and handle. (I'd like to know if there is some way to avoid this happening. . .) Regardless, it looks like a bad paint job.
It's powder coated. It literally just flaked off one day when I picked it up.

Everything is in my garage, which can be humid. I tend to run a fan when humidity is high to get circulation. No chalk or anything on either of those.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:30 am

Yeah, it's just bad adherence on the powder coat. If it was a month or two, or after a single use, I'd argue for getting a new one. My Rogue Matador had the powder coat flake off like that right out of the box, and I got a new one. The second one they sent me started flaking in the same spot after a few months, I just said "screw it" and brushed and painted that area with 3-4 layers of paint.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:55 am

gtl wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:24 am
It's powder coated. It literally just flaked off one day when I picked it up.

Everything is in my garage, which can be humid. I tend to run a fan when humidity is high to get circulation. No chalk or anything on either of those.
How irritating. You might try using Rustoleum Rust Reformer on there, if you don't want to have to scrape it all down. It's a nice flat black.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:23 am

30-90 days would seem reasonable for a full refund.

After that, a prorated period, say one years, would be fine.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:24 am

Allentown wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:05 am I'd probably take the partial refund, then wire brush & rattle can it.

To be honest, I probably would have just brushed/painted and wouldn't have even thought to ask for a refund.

I wouldn't turn down the $50, though.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:29 am

And as far as the PU bar, I assume they just do a crap job of handling their bare steel and it had rust on it before they got the paint on.

gtl

Post by gtl » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:40 am

I more or less sent it to them as an FYI that the quality of the powdercoat was shit. They ignored me for almost 3 months, so I followed up and asked if it was typical, and then they offered me 800 reward points. At 5% redemption, that's $40 -- so I asked how they came up with that solution given both products were "recently purchased" and were $100.

Skid

Post by Skid » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:58 am

I've got a Rogue MG-2 multi-purpose bar and the powder coating immediately chipped off in large flakes where it contacts the hooks on the rack, and on the sleeves where the weights are slid on and off. The metal underneath was shiny and smooth so the coating didn't adhere very well.

Rogue even states -"Please note that any metal-to-metal contact with the coated sleeves (such as adding and/or removing plates) may cause wear on the finish over time." Quite frankly the oil based paint I brush applied to my home made rack has held up better than this "powder coating".

In my experience, to get proper coating adhesion, the metal must be media blasted to a white metal condition. Rogue didn't do this to their bar, and you can be certain that almost no one does it to their racks due to the cost.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:03 am

If you read their terms and conditions on their site, they offer ZERO guarantee for any of their products. With that in mind, I'd take the $50 and move on.

gtl

Post by gtl » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:30 am

Cody wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:03 am If you read their terms and conditions on their site, they offer ZERO guarantee for any of their products. With that in mind, I'd take the $50 and move on.
Meh...
We work hard to ensure that items purchased from Titan Distributors are of the highest quality. We demonstrate our commitment to quality by providing all of our customers a warranty against defects in material and workmanship for a period of 1 year following the date of purchase. In the rare case of product failure or manufacturing defect, you may submit this warranty form for review by the Titan Warranty Department.

At Titan's discretion, we may: 1) Repair an item 2) Replace parts on an item 3) Exchange an item 4) Provide a refund up to the full value of the item
I dunno. I feel like the pullup bar would be considered a defect in workmanship, or even a manufacturing defect.
Enhance the look and function of your Titan T-3 and X-2 Power Rack with the multi-grip pull up bar. The multiple grip orientations and angles, plus Titan's enhanced grip powder coat finish, make this pull up bar a must-have for Power Rack owners!
So the enhanced grip powder coat finish is disappearing (not "wearing" away).

The landmine handle flaked off, not chipped away.. it didn't happen during/from use.

I understand the "you get what you pay for" mindset. I heard the quality had improved. I'm not pursing Titan for the full refund... just thought I'd share my experience on the board and through the poll on the thread for fun.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:49 am

gtl wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:30 am Meh...
https://www.titan.fitness/tos

"We do not warrant that the quality of any products, services, information, or other material purchased or obtained by you will meet your expectations, or that any errors in the Service will be corrected."

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:25 am

Cody wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:49 am

"We do not warrant that the quality of any products, services, information, or other material purchased or obtained by you will meet your expectations, or that any errors in the Service will be corrected."
Hmm. MIght need to rethink future purchases.

strega

Post by strega » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:26 am

Pretty much out of the box my $389 Yoke Bar from Elitelift the paint was flaking off from the collars. Their song and dance was like the lyrics from Age Of Aquarius so I just moved on.

https://www.elitefts.com/elitefts-ss-yoke-bar.html

I had a minor issue with Rogue on a product, they applied the decals upside down. I gave them feedback and they sent me $50 credit.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:33 pm

Cody wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:49 am

If you google that exact sentence, you get 173,000 hits. It's just standard website TOS legalese that was probably just copied from wherever, by whoever it is that built their website. I wouldn't draw any conclusions about the extent to which they will stand behind their products based on that. Anecdotally, they seem to be pretty good about fixing their mistakes, which admittedly also seem to be more frequent than those of other companies. I mean, I certainly haven't heard anyone claim that they cited this passage to them and refused to replace something that was defective.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:35 pm

strega wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:26 am Pretty much out of the box my $389 Yoke Bar from Elitelift the paint was flaking off from the collars. Their song and dance was like the lyrics from Age Of Aquarius so I just moved on.
Yeah I got one too and used it on the rack at my gym with metal j-hooks, and the clearcoat just scraped right off like nothing.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:08 am

Hanley wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:25 amHmm. MIght need to rethink future purchases.
Yeah. I know Titan's gotten a lot better over the last year or two, but I'm still going with Rogue for my stuff.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:50 am

TimK wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:35 pm
strega wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:26 am Pretty much out of the box my $389 Yoke Bar from Elitelift the paint was flaking off from the collars. Their song and dance was like the lyrics from Age Of Aquarius so I just moved on.
Yeah I got one too and used it on the rack at my gym with metal j-hooks, and the clearcoat just scraped right off like nothing.
That’s crazy. The Edge Fitness SSB paint has held up pretty well.

Here are pics of my (well worn) J hooks and the bar where it rests in them.