Attempt scenario question.

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Attempt scenario question.

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:02 pm

Less than 4 weeks out now.

If i don't hit a 386lb / 175kilo squat, making a total of 1,003lbs /455kilos, will be more difficult. Requiring peak performances on bench and deadlift.
Those may be possible, but i'm trying to hedge my bets a little. I have no idea what a third attempt will feel like on either of those in a meet setting.

I've hit 386 in training twice for depth, and once parallel.
My question is this, should i go for 386 as a second attempt and then have a second chance at it?
That's how it played out today, second try was deep.

A second attempt on TSA's attempt generator is just 375 based on a 391 squat, which i have yet to hit.

Sparing the details of my bench and DL, i feel like i need 386 in squat to have the best chance to meet my goal.

Skid

Re: Attempt scenario question.

Post by Skid » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:57 pm

The TSA attempt generator is very conservative. If you can do it at home you can do it at a meet. Take a couple caffeine pills, and the adrenaline will take care of the rest :lol:

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:15 pm

Skid wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:57 pm The TSA attempt generator is very conservative. If you can do it at home you can do it at a meet. Take a couple caffeine pills, and the adrenaline will take care of the rest :lol:
Thanks, @Skid :D
It feels like a good idea to give myself two attempts at it.
It's not that i can't squat it, it's just i may cut depth. It happened today, then i got it good on the second try.
I think this is what i'll do.
375 is kind of useless to me in the context of my goal for a total.

I'll be more rested by the meet, but i'd hate to not ry it and then have some issue on my one attempt at it.

If i make it as my second arttempt, which i really should, then i have a free shot at something more.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:34 pm

All you can do on meet day is optimize what’s there. Hit your openers to get on the board and then gauge how much more you have in the tank based on that. It might be hard unless you have a handler. Gauging RPE with all the other meet stimuli can be difficult.

I don’t respond that well to a lot of caffeine in a meet because I’m already nervous as hell. Maybe a cup of coffee in the hotel, but that’s it.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:00 pm

Manveer wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:34 pm All you can do on meet day is optimize what’s there. Hit your openers to get on the board and then gauge how much more you have in the tank based on that. It might be hard unless you have a handler. Gauging RPE with all the other meet stimuli can be difficult.

I don’t respond that well to a lot of caffeine in a meet because I’m already nervous as hell. Maybe a cup of coffee in the hotel, but that’s it.
Ok, saying 386lbs/175kilos is there for me. It really should be. But for the sake of my question, let's say it definitely is.
What i'm thinking of doing is giving myself two shots at it if for some reason i cut depth or make some other error with it as my 2nd attempt.
Today that's how it went. Parallel on the first try, good on the second.

It's the weight i really need to have to make my path to a 455kg total reasonable.
If i hit that, i could do 97.5kg/215lb on bench (my second attempt) and then only need to pull 402 for my total even if i missed 100kg on bench.

I guess it's almost a moot question, since it seems like i'm fairly well set on this course of action.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:32 pm

The guidance I was given for my first meet was to use a weight for openers that I could hit for an easy triple, or a triple on my worst day. I think that was good advice.

I looked at your 175kg squat. Looked like a second attempt to me. You have some time to get stronger. I’d open with at least 165kg. Sink it deep for the judges.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:39 pm

Manveer wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:32 pm The guidance I was given for my first meet was to use a weight for openers that I could hit for an easy triple, or a triple on my worst day. I think that was good advice.

I looked at your 175kg squat. Looked like a second attempt to me. You have some time to get stronger. I’d open with at least 165kg. Sink it deep for the judges.
Thanks for the eye on that. I definitely value your judgment.

d0uevenlift
Paparazzo

Post by d0uevenlift » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:49 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:39 pm
Manveer wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:32 pm The guidance I was given for my first meet was to use a weight for openers that I could hit for an easy triple, or a triple on my worst day. I think that was good advice.

Thanks for the eye on that. I definitely value your judgment.
Come back and post here when you’re a week out and let us know what you’ve hit in training and show us how things are looking and we can help you pick some numbers.

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:51 am

Wilhelm wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:02 pm Less than 4 weeks out now.

If i don't hit a 386lb / 175kilo squat, making a total of 1,003lbs /455kilos, will be more difficult. Requiring peak performances on bench and deadlift.
Those may be possible, but i'm trying to hedge my bets a little. I have no idea what a third attempt will feel like on either of those in a meet setting.

I've hit 386 in training twice for depth, and once parallel.
My question is this, should i go for 386 as a second attempt and then have a second chance at it?
That's how it played out today, second try was deep.
That's basically how I did it. If you've routinely got it in training, it'll make a good second attempt, and you kind of need to actually hit it to make your desired total. If you can't get it anyway, you're kind of boned regardless. Once you get it, and depending if you can get more on the third attempt, you can back into what you need to bench in order to set yourself up with a deadlift you can be confident in to hit your goal total.