All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

michael
Young Padawan

Re: HPS weekly cycle

Post by michael » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:48 pm

Manveer wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:05 pm
michael wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:58 pm
RedFinn wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:50 pm Basically my goal is to be a slightly weaker version of Jordan.
Your goal is to be Austin?
Austin will be stronger than Jordan soon.
Probably true.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:55 pm

RedFinn wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:50 pm Basically my goal is to be a slightly weaker version of Jordan.
Austin’s wife will be stronger than us all.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:00 am

Hanley wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:55 pm
What is strength? The ability to exert force against an external resistance.

Good, good... let the hate flow through you.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:34 am

Manveer wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:00 am
Hanley wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:55 pm
What is strength?
Who the fuck tries to define “strength”?

That’d be like defining “tightness”. Or “intelligence”.

Fuck it, though. I’ll play. There’re are strong practical considerations in my definition.

“Something, something motor pattern...Impulse within 200ms.”

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:46 am

[equation] J=\int F\,\mathrm {d} t + C[/equation]

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:25 am

mgil wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:46 am[equation] J=\int F\,\mathrm {d} t + C[/equation]
from 0 to 200ms

MattimusMaximus

Post by MattimusMaximus » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:57 pm

Hanley wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:41 pm Yup. Power & Hypertrophy become a single session. Not awesome, but it’ll work.

Day 1
Bench: work up to 1@8 (go to @9 every 2 weeks), then 6-7x5@70
CGBP: 3-4x4 @70-75ish%
Back Squat: 1@8, then 6x5@70%
Secondary Pull: not sure, depends on what you choose (maybe superset chins & tricep extensions)

Day 4
Bench: 4-5x3@80%
Press: 4x4@75%
Deads: 1@8-8.5ish, then 5-6 sets of 3@75ish
Front squats: whatever. Just do about 30 reps at 70%

You should be able to fly through these workouts.
I feel like I'm asking way too many questions but I also feel like I'm learning lots, so thank you!

One more for ya and I'll shut up...

If I'm only doing squats for a single @8 and then 70% volume work on Day 1, would I my strength de-train if I don't perform the triples at 80% like deads and bench on Day 4? Just curious about the front squats programming on day 4 instead.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:38 pm

MattimusMaximus wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:57 pmI feel like I'm asking way too many questions but I also feel like I'm learning lots, so thank you!
They're really good questions!

MattimusMaximus wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:57 pm If I'm only doing squats for a single @8 and then 70% volume work on Day 1, would I my strength de-train if I don't perform the triples at 80% like deads and bench on Day 4? Just curious about the front squats programming on day 4 instead.
Well, I'd certainly want 2 more days a week to work with. Given the realities of scheduling, it's not an ideal setup.

That said, I think you're okay. Your dead is like ^5-7% heavier than your squat. I think the dead work at 75% will have a significant transfer to your squats (I once PRd back squat using a program of only front squats and pulls).

Also, you could just run a 2ish week taper when your schedule chills a bit and you're ready to test.

Yet another option is switching to a 2-4 week cycle that trends from high-volume, lowish-intensity to low-ish volume, highish-intensity. That'd be a little fussier to program

cole

Post by cole » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:35 am

I may have missed this but when doing a hps are there specific lifts that work better for each day? I'm assuming you want comp. Lifts on your power days and assistance lifts on hypertrophy day ?

unruhschuh
Männlicher Photoshop-Experte

Post by unruhschuh » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:37 am

mgil wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:46 am [equation] J=\int F\,\mathrm {d} t + C[/equation]
I came here to tell you to edit your post. Beat me to it!

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:00 am

cole wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:35 am I may have missed this but when doing a hps are there specific lifts that work better for each day? I'm assuming you want comp. Lifts on your power days and assistance lifts on hypertrophy day ?

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:35 am

Hanley wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:00 am
cole wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:35 am I may have missed this but when doing a hps are there specific lifts that work better for each day? I'm assuming you want comp. Lifts on your power days and assistance lifts on hypertrophy day ?
???

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:36 am

damufunman wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:35 am
???
Silent agreement?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:05 am

damufunman wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:35 am
???
Fucking fuck. iPhone must’ve logged me out while I was typing and my response was lost. Will have to answer later

PatrickDB
Have you read this study?

Post by PatrickDB » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:13 am

mgil wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:32 am Rewrite these thoughts into a cohesive program, you assholes.
Plans are in motion for example templates and a long form discussion of the scientific evidence for this style of programming. Please prepare the Exodus Articles section for its arrival, maestro.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:06 pm

[TAKE 2 with rant warning]

Why is the default assumption that we even need variations? My version of HPS manages fatigue by dosing each session carefully (so that I'm largely recovered within 48 hours (upper and squats) or 72 hours (main pull). Any residual fatigue from a session is mitigated by the H P S pattern ("power" is not fatiguing...so if I've got residual fatigue from a hypertrophy session..that's fine; power adds very little fatigue and boosts MPS a bit). "Strength" is very fatiguing, but I've got 72 hours of recovery there as a catch. "Hypertrophy" is usual "novel" volume for intermediate peep, so DOMS sucks for 2-3 weeks, but it gets better.

Judiciously-used and justified variations can be incredibly useful** (and necessary when using really high intensities), but we've entered a very, very odd period of "baroque-programming"...complexity for its own sake. I think this trend in programming sucks. And lots of peeps straight outta novice or Texas Method are weak, tired and making little technical progress on the main lifts because of baroque-programming.

I understand that doing 75%+ of total volume via primary movements might not be fun. But I think there's beauty in hyper-refining motor patterns. And setting new lifetime PRs.

** if a powerlifting coach is actively programming, monitoring, prescribing variations...that's a different thing altogether [ie KOTJ prescribing tempo squats or Manveer's coaching from Mark Robb]. I'm talking about the arbitrary assignment of variation with no articulated training purpose.

cole

Post by cole » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:12 pm

Hanley wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:06 pm

Why is the default assumption that we even need variations? My version of HPS manages fatigue by dosing each session carefully (so that I'm largely recovered within 48 hours (upper and squats) or 72 hours (main pull). Any residual session from a fatigue is mitigated by the H P S pattern ("power" is not fatiguing...so if I've got residual fatigue from a hypertrophy session..that's fine; power adds very little fatigue and boosts MPS a bit). "Strength" is very fatiguing, but I've got 72 hours of recovery there as a catch.

Judiciously-used and justified variations can be incredibly useful** (and necessary when using really high intensities), but we've entered a very, very odd period of "baroque-programming"...complexity for its own sake. I think this trend in programming sucks. And lots of peeps straight outta novice or Texas Method are weak, tired and making little technical progress on the main lifts because of baroque-programming.

I understand that doing 75%+ of total volume via primary movements might not be fun. But I think there's beauty in hyper-refining motor patterns. And setting new lifetime PRs.

** if a powerlifting coach is actively programming, monitoring, prescribing variations...that's a different thing altogether [ie KOTJ prescribing tempo squats or Manveer's coaching from Mark Robb]. I'm talking about the arbitrary assignment of variation with no articulated training purpose.
So you're saying for an early intermediate just do regular squat/bench/DL for your H,P, and S day?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:24 pm

cole wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:12 pm
Hanley wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:06 pm

Why is the default assumption that we even need variations? My version of HPS manages fatigue by dosing each session carefully (so that I'm largely recovered within 48 hours (upper and squats) or 72 hours (main pull). Any residual session from a fatigue is mitigated by the H P S pattern ("power" is not fatiguing...so if I've got residual fatigue from a hypertrophy session..that's fine; power adds very little fatigue and boosts MPS a bit). "Strength" is very fatiguing, but I've got 72 hours of recovery there as a catch.

So you're saying for an early intermediate just do regular squat/bench/DL for your H,P, and S day?
Yup.

Also: sorry, that rant was absolutely not directed at you. I've just seen a trend of variation-madness and lotsa stalling bros. Rant was directed as the trend.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:36 pm

I'm glad this (your rant) was quoted into the quotes thread.

i'm wanting to continue my 3 lifts in their same basic forms in 2018 after my meet.
So far, the other exercises i am fairly sure i am adding, are good mornings, since it seems they can benefit both the squat and the deadlift. Seems like good bang for the buck as it were. I'm curious and willing to invest in those to see how they work.
And i want to get back to rows. A strong upper back seems to be pretty universally accepted as being a big benefit for powerlifting.
I've dropped my frequency pullups in the last several weeks, just because as i ramped up my work for the meet, i just didn't have the energy to spare for them. But before that, i had started doing one arm rows w/ my 50lb kettlebell on the same schedule. I was on 6s for 8 sets with my pull ups, and i'll probably have to start back with 4s or 5s.
Then beside the 4 times a week frequency sets, i want to add barbell rows back in as well.

Box squats seem interesting, but i feel like just working on my LBBS has lots more time left for progress all on its own.

I'm planning a "volume block" since that worked really well for me even though it was just five weeks at the time. But i was mixing in heavy singles at least once a week too.
I'm open to modifying that in time, but i want to give it a good run since i cut it short last time not knowing when to shift to "strength" when i learned i'd have a meet.

Gonna keep running my SSPT deadlift singles program (ten weeks at a time) until it doesn't work.

Some of this is just because i don't want to learn a lot of new variations. But that may be because in my gut i know i have work yet to do with my "regular lifts".

Other than for DL, i'm hesitant to adopt a full blown program and prefer trying to use principals i see here and in my reading and kind of learn as i go.
DUP may be something i adopt after i just pack on some more muscle with a shit ton of volume for a while (with some heavyish work mixed in)

I figure as long as i'm lifting on my regular schedule, and working hard, i can't mess up that badly and may have a better and better idea what works for me as time progresses.

cole

Post by cole » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:38 pm

Sounds like a good plan @Wilhelm I also want to add good mornings