Custom Equipment/Fabricator

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

gtl

Custom Equipment/Fabricator

Post by gtl » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:29 am

So, a Google search led me to a local company that makes basketball goals.

Apparently, there is a guy who makes gym equipment, too.
David has been designing and building over 90 pieces of weightlifting equipment since 1981. His equipment has been used by the Indianapolis Colts, colleges, high schools, commercial gyms, reformatories and private residences for many years. To say it is commercial grade equipment is an understatement. In recent years as the CrossFit scene has made its way to the United States we have fabricated many rigs that are in use in several local gyms. Our rigs our custom built to our clients specifications and are similar in design to that of Rogues, but at a much lower price point.
I e-mail, asking how much a Rogue R3 copy would be, seeing as how his website says that he makes equipment similar to Rogue. He also has some pictures of equipment, including a lat pulldown, so I ask about that.

Although, I am a little suspicious if this lat pulldown is actually his design/build or if that is just a generic pic.

I get a response within 4 hours that he does the rack for $350, and the lat pulldown is $350 plus the weight stack. Great. I respond with a couple additional questions asking if everything is built to order, if he has things on hand, if I can come check anything out, etc. No answer. A week later, I follow up a again. No answer. 8 days later, still no answer.

No point to this thread. I'm just venting here

Jay870

Re: Custom Equipment/Fabricator"

Post by Jay870 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:55 am

There are exceptions, but generally speaking I have not had great experiences with "side job" businesses.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:10 am

Jay870 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:55 am There are exceptions, but generally speaking I have not had great experiences with "side job" businesses.
My monolifts are from a mechanical engineer up in Canada who built stuff on the side... Better than literally everything on the market.

gtl

Post by gtl » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:49 am

Jay870 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:55 am There are exceptions, but generally speaking I have not had great experiences with "side job" businesses.
It didn't seem like this was a side job business, esp. given it says he's been doing it for longer than Iv'e been alive :lol:

Also, I should've clarified.. I'm not actually looking for an R3 copy. I was just using that as a reference point for what I really want.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:09 am

Cody wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:10 am My monolifts are from a mechanical engineer up in Canada who built stuff on the side... Better than literally everything on the market.
#Mech6Crew

If he was still in business my wallet would be a lot lighter.
Hell, I'm surprised when I have a positive experience with a "main job" business.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:39 am

murphyreedus wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:09 am
Cody wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:10 am My monolifts are from a mechanical engineer up in Canada who built stuff on the side... Better than literally everything on the market.
#Mech6Crew

If he was still in business my wallet would be a lot lighter.
I have a hard time justifying buying many items new just because our used market is so great. If I was buying new and he was still fabricating, he would be my first choice for everything irrespective of cost.