Belt sizing?

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Allentown
Likes Beer

Re: Belt sizing?

Post by Allentown » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:11 am

Get one made to your waist measurement?
Or buy the next size up. You can punch more holes, and cut off an end if you really need to, but you can't make a belt get longer with hopes and dreams.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:18 am

I like a belt where the hole I'm going to be using is right in the middle. That way I have leeway to gain or lose weight, I have plenty of belt to grab when I want to cinch it down tight using the rack, and it looks good when it's on.

I guess this doesn't work if their sizes don't overlap. For most of the manufacturers I have seen with predetermined belt sizes, the sizes overlap significantly. If they don't overlap then I'd get the bigger one like Allen said.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:19 am

When you measure for the belt, make sure take in a big breath and Valsalva. It'll likely be different than your usual waist measurement.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:20 am

TimK wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:18 am I like a belt where the hole I'm going to be using is right in the middle. That way I have leeway to gain or lose weight, I have plenty of belt to grab when I want to cinch it down tight using the rack, and it looks good when it's on.
This is what I did back when I first started lifting seriously at 165 lbs. 35 lbs later, and I'm 3-4 holes closer to the end. I figured "no way I'm going to get that much bigger." Oops. Belt still fits, but I surprised myself with how much bigger I got.

I suspect Mr. Niki won't be putting on that much weight at this point?

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:18 am

Mr. Niki, I would go with the size up. You can always get extra holes punched into the belt, but having a belt that's too small is pretty useless.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:29 am

Nikipedia wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:50 am Muffin, I do have a rough idea. I will be having a program change over the spring and summer, along with a medication change (Hashimoto) and will try to shed some excess fat, but really nothing major, in the realm of 5kg max. Recomp has shown itself to be heavily dependent on my meds and antibodies, so I cannot guarantee it. My idea was to buy the belt which should fit without issue now and even if recomp does not work as planned, I still got the nice belt for my fatass. If I do shed some BF, I was hoping I could get away with punching holes.

Love, Mr. Niki

@Allentown I found something in a clearance sale that fits my exact criteria. The downside is that I can't order a custom length and, like Tim mentioned, there being overlap between sizes.
Hmm good point about meds and stuff. Agree, err on large side.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:32 pm

I've can only go two tighter.
I guess i 'll know when my cut is over. :D

SJB

Post by SJB » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:49 pm

You have obviously purchased both as you have tried them on = second hand. I would go with the smaller one.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:56 pm

You can always punch more holes on the bigger one if you lose weight.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:38 pm

But if you eat a big potato on a Trip to Constantinople, you might run out of holes, provided you aren’t getting talented modifications.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:54 pm

Nikipedia wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:41 pm Ok guise, the great belt bamboozle continues. They did send me both. Thots?

Bigger size is on the second to last hole when worn on the navel and on the third to last when worn above.

Smaller size is on the third hole and the second hole, respectively.

HALP. I am afraid I caught a skinny day! Much insecure! Such doubt!
Damn you're right in the middle of nowhere. Still think larger is the way to go just so you have the ability to go outside the supplied holes. Not so much with the smaller one. Cool that they sent you both though.

SJB

Post by SJB » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:15 pm

Nikipedia wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:53 pm No, I have not puchased them. They left me a note to try them on and send the one I like less back, as I had previously contacted them about sizing.
Second-hand twas but a yolk.

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:39 pm

Do my eyes deceive me or is that a tapered belt? The extra holes punched in a tapered belt might make the fit of it weird, but having never used one, this is purely conjecture. I would generally lean toward too big and get holes punched, but would you still get left/right symmetric support with the tapered belt?

Are you going to wear on your navel or below your navel? The smaller belt could work if you wear it at your navel.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:16 am

You could make a second, floating, loop to keep the end tucked in if you have to punch more holes.
Much better than cutting the end off.