weightbelt for weighted chins and dips

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

cole

weightbelt for weighted chins and dips

Post by cole » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:42 pm

any recommendations on a belt that allows you to secure olympic weights to it as to do weighted chins and dips?? my dips are too easy now and i want to start adding weight to make it a more useful assistance for my bench.

MattimusMaximus

Re: weightbelt for weighted chins and dips

Post by MattimusMaximus » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:26 pm

I'm using the same cheap piece of crap weight belt I bought in 2008. It was like $30 at a fitness store and it's still in great condition after years of abuse and loading up to 130 lbs for dips. The only thing I had to replace was the caribeaner clip because the 130 lbs bent it. Went to a climbing store and bought one rated for 1000 lbs or something and it was only $10-$15 I think.

Sorry I'm not giving a better recommendation but honestly I think cheap is the best option when it comes to weight belts. Mine is synthetic material, the only thing is it can pinch my hip bones if there's too much weight loaded. Not sure if the more expensive ones prevent that.

CeeKa

Post by CeeKa » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:55 pm

If you're on a budget, buy a $10 link chain and attach a carabiner. Works just fine and (more importantly) it looks very badass.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:21 am

I've got Rogue's.

It's $50, so a bit more expensive than the other options mentioned, but it's comfortable enough, stays in place well, and could probably be used to haul a trailer.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:43 am

CeeKa wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:55 pm If you're on a budget, buy a $10 link chain and attach a carabiner. Works just fine and (more importantly) it looks very badass.
This is what I use. I have a few lengths of 1/2" chain that I "make" a belt out of- carabiner on one end, clip it into the middle-ish after you wrap it around your waist. that will leave a free end hanging, which you can run through your weight and clip back into the biner. I can make a video if anyone wants.
I also use the chains for accommodating resistance sometimes, when I want to lift heavy-ish and also make a lot of noise and feel like I look cool when really I don't. And I can also put them around my shoulders for weighted chins, and probably use them to lock up my kid if I really needed to.

BassPlayer

Post by BassPlayer » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:18 pm

I use a nylon rope that I loop around my waist though plates.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:23 pm

I throw weights in surplus duffle bag with back straps for chins. It’s been good with 25 pounds in it.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:37 pm

I have a cheap Grizzly belt from Amazon. Works fine. I added some chain so I can use a loading pin with it.

michael
Young Padawan

Post by michael » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:27 pm

I have a Dominion belt. It's a Rogue knock off.

https://www.amazon.com/Dip-Belt-Nylon-C ... dpSrc=srch

BenM

Post by BenM » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:13 am

I’ve got a Spud one. It works fine, but I’ve never used any other type to compare it to.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:56 am

If you don't want to but a belt for an exercise you a likely only doing once a week . . . .

I just hold the weights in between my knees, cross your feet, and squeeze.
(most muscle mass, amirite!)

Either 5, 10, 25, 35, 45 plates . . . or dumbbells

I am phat, and dips I typically do higher reps, so I don't need a lot of extra weight.

If you have access to dumbbells, yeah, could use the 15s, and 20s to get in between the dime and quarter.

But I think I've done 80# DB once for 8 or so reps . . . wasn't hard to do.

At the globo gym, I tie a hand towel around the DB handle for something for extra grip. . . . and to kind of cover the handle.
(I'm not holding in my groin, right at the knees, or just below . . . but yeah, "sanitary" or whatever I guess)

Yeah, if you are going to do a lot of weight, then yeah, a belt would be better. yep yep.

But I don't think everyone needs it. I've done chins the same way.

Just one more/less thing to have in my gym bag if your go to a gym.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:37 am

mbasic wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:56 am Just one more/less thing to have in my gym bag if your go to a gym.
If you go to a gym with a dip station but no dip belt, probably find a new gym? If possible, of course.
augeleven wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:23 pm I throw weights in surplus duffle bag with back straps for chins. It’s been good with 25 pounds in it.
There is no way to know how much is in the backpack.

Another alternative: Daisy chain and carabiner, along with your regular belt. Hang the daisy chain from your belt in the front, loop it through the plates, clip in onto itself. Probably not comfortable. You could also get two daisy chains and two biners, but at that point a dip belt is going to be cheaper.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:51 am

Allentown wrote:
augeleven wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:23 pm I throw weights in surplus duffle bag with back straps for chins. It’s been good with 25 pounds in it.
There is no way to know how much is in the backpack
Well, I look at the weights before I put them in the duffle.
I also have a fish scale for making sure the weight weighs what it says it weighs, just in case.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:18 am

CeeKa wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:55 pm If you're on a budget, buy a $10 link chain and attach a carabiner. Works just fine and (more importantly) it looks very badass.
This is what I use. At heavier weights, the chain can dig in pretty hard. #noncompulsorysuffering

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:29 am

broseph wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:18 am This is what I use. At heavier weights, the chain can dig in pretty hard. #noncompulsorysuffering
Have you tried being weak? I find that helps keep the chain from digging in too much. Or you could tie a sweatshirt around your waist under where the chain goes.

CeeKa

Post by CeeKa » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:40 am

broseph wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:18 am This is what I use. At heavier weights, the chain can dig in pretty hard. #noncompulsorysuffering
Finding the right spot for the chain to dig in is a crucial part of the learning process. I have chinned with close to 90 lbs added weight like that without issues.

CeeKa

Post by CeeKa » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:57 am

Allentown wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:43 am This is what I use. I have a few lengths of 1/2" chain that I "make" a belt out of- carabiner on one end, clip it into the middle-ish after you wrap it around your waist. that will leave a free end hanging, which you can run through your weight and clip back into the biner. I can make a video if anyone wants.
I also use the chains for accommodating resistance sometimes, when I want to lift heavy-ish and also make a lot of noise and feel like I look cool when really I don't. And I can also put them around my shoulders for weighted chins, and probably use them to lock up my kid if I really needed to.
I haven't had problems with simply fiddling the chain through the plate hole and attaching the other end of the chain with a carabiner right at the plate. Like this:
SpoilerShow
the-chin-upper.PNG
Works best while seated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cwd

Post by cwd » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:19 am

I dip between two dining room chairs, and chin off a bar racked on my 6' squat stand. I have to bend my knees to keep my feet from hitting the floor.

A belt doesn't work, the weights hang too low. So instead of a belt, I use a weight vest.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:05 am

haha you put visible abs on an Exodus lifter!

Anyways, I'd much rather have the weight hanging at knee-level than up against my crotch-region like that!