Pectoralis minor

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

JonA

Pectoralis minor

Post by JonA » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:21 am

Any tips/suggestions for rehabbing a recurring pectoralis minor tweak?

I've tweaked my left pectoralis minor about 3 times the past year. Each time, I've deloaded my bench press significantly and restarted an LP. Each time, I work my way only partially back and suffer another tweak. The first occurred during a set of 250x5 BP. The last just occurred at only 215x5. I'm definitely backtracking.

I'd initially thought it was due to a weakness, but I'm wondering if it's maybe a lack of mobility in that pectoralis minor. This http://exclusive.multibriefs.com/conten ... healthcare seems sum me up pretty good. (Slumped shoulders, etc. Lying on my back, my acromion process is about 3 inches off the ground on that side)

One other data point, before I got back into lifting, I had some pain in that shoulder. Reaching overhead, jumping up to catch a ball, hanging, etc. When I started lifting again, I was doing barbell rows instead of cleans, and my shoulder was noticeably better. Once I switched cleans back in, that was when my shoulder started to bother me again. (Although that was also when my BP got heavier).

I'm thinking of adding Pendlay rows back in...

Manveer
M3N4C3

Re: Pectoralis minor

Post by Manveer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:54 am

What do you mean "tweaked"? How does it start to manifest?

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:56 am

JonA wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:21 am Any tips/suggestions for rehabbing a recurring pectoralis minor tweak?

I've tweaked my left pectoralis minor about 3 times the past year. Each time, I've deloaded my bench press significantly and restarted an LP. Each time, I work my way only partially back and suffer another tweak. The first occurred during a set of 250x5 BP. The last just occurred at only 215x5. I'm definitely backtracking.

I'd initially thought it was due to a weakness, but I'm wondering if it's maybe a lack of mobility in that pectoralis minor. This http://exclusive.multibriefs.com/conten ... healthcare seems sum me up pretty good. (Slumped shoulders, etc. Lying on my back, my acromion process is about 3 inches off the ground on that side)

One other data point, before I got back into lifting, I had some pain in that shoulder. Reaching overhead, jumping up to catch a ball, hanging, etc. When I started lifting again, I was doing barbell rows instead of cleans, and my shoulder was noticeably better. Once I switched cleans back in, that was when my shoulder started to bother me again. (Although that was also when my BP got heavier).

I'm thinking of adding Pendlay rows back in...
More info - age, weight, current lifts, current programming - is appreciated. How much pulling are you currently doing? Have you got your bench form looked at? How is your overhead pressing? Ever done incline bench?

JonA

Post by JonA » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:22 am

Manveer wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:54 am What do you mean "tweaked"? How does it start to manifest?
Small spasms while lifting, accompanied by a painful tearing sensation. Soreness and stiffness afterward. It's not a tear and there is no bruising, but it feels similar, just not as bad.
Murelli wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:56 am More info - age, weight, current lifts, current programming - is appreciated. How much pulling are you currently doing? Have you got your bench form looked at? How is your overhead pressing? Ever done incline bench?
41, 210lbs
Current programming is HLM:
Squat:
H: BS => 345x5x3
M: BS => 275x5x3
L: FS -> 255x5x3

Press:
H: Bench => 215x5x3 (Deloaded, previously at 245x5x3)
M: Incline => 185x5x3 (Deloaded along with bench, previously at 215)
L: OHP=> 155x5x3

Pulls:
H: DL => 375x5
M: PC => 225x5
L: Weighted Chins: 50x5x3

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:43 am

First thing I would sub the Power Cleans for something else (like rows) or put them before Chins on light day (do something like RDL or SLDL on Medium day and do chins unweighted).

You need to get your bench form looked at - excessive elbow flaring + not enough upper back tightening + no arching.

Hamburgerfan
Possibly Vegan

Post by Hamburgerfan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:04 pm

I've had this before. I'd suggest getting your bench press form looked at.

JonA

Post by JonA » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:17 am

Had a training partner do a quick check. My grip is a bit wide (forearms not vertical at bottom), and my grip probably isn't pronated enough either. I'm going to try working on both of those as well.