Critique my squat (please)

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

KarlM

Critique my squat (please)

Post by KarlM » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:31 am

Exodus,

This is the fourth set of five at 300 lbs from my last heavy day. Please critique :) Also, is this RPE @8?

Thanks!

Manveer
M3N4C3

Re: Critique my squat (please)

Post by Manveer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:49 pm

Looked like <8 for RPE. 7-7.5, depending on how well you can grind.

Overall, doesn't look bad. Knees start to come in on every rep. Your left elbow is lower than the right and elbows are generally high - keep them pinned to your sides. Seems like your hips hit the bottom at different times sometimes too and you come out of the hole a bit off balance (left to right).

Maybe some real coaches will have better advice for you.

KarlM

Post by KarlM » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:12 pm

Thanks for the comments Manveer. From the beginning I've struggled with knee cave. It's still a problem but it's better than it has been, due (I think) to light day pause squats. I think my knee cave may be playing a role in the balance problems you observed. I'll fix my elbows too :)

d0uevenlift
Paparazzo

Post by d0uevenlift » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:14 pm

I'd say that looks like an RPE 7. I went from your very first rep straight to your last rep and the bar speed was pretty much the same.

Your stance looks a touch wide, which isn't bad, but maybe if you bring them in a touch it'll help you keep your knees out more.

KarlM

Post by KarlM » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:37 pm

d0uevenlift wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:14 pm I'd say that looks like an RPE 7. I went from your very first rep straight to your last rep and the bar speed was pretty much the same.

Your stance looks a touch wide, which isn't bad, but maybe if you bring them in a touch it'll help you keep your knees out more.
Thanks for the comments. I'll move my stance in for a couple of sets on my next medium day and see what that looks like. So if I can grind a bit, @7? e1RM is trending in the right direction then :)

d0uevenlift
Paparazzo

Post by d0uevenlift » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:16 pm

KarlM wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:37 pm
d0uevenlift wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:14 pm I'd say that looks like an RPE 7. I went from your very first rep straight to your last rep and the bar speed was pretty much the same.

Thanks for the comments. I'll move my stance in for a couple of sets on my next medium day and see what that looks like. So if I can grind a bit, @7? e1RM is trending in the right direction then :)
Yeah, you don't want to narrow it too much. Try an inch or two. If you can grind, I would definitely say that was a 7.