Sous Vide Thread

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

Savs
Dream Weaver

Re: Sous Vide Thread

Post by Savs » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:32 am

Allentown wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:20 am I'd put as much weight on the opinion of my family practice doc, or my son's Ped, as I would on, say, @Savs opinion on the safety of sous vide.
Sous vide causes ebola in strength-trained populations. FACT.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:52 am

Allentown wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:20 am I'm also working on eliminating as much plastic containers in our house as I can, especially for my lunches which I microwave- I don't know if there are any dangers associated with eating food microwaved in plastic containers, but I'm more confident there are fewer dangers with glass. I also want to use as little plastic as possible- I don't think it is as sustainable a material as glass. Annoyingly, I am also cheap, and am unwilling to use more than one drawer in my kitchen for storage containers, so I have more 10 year old plastic containers that stack well than glass containers. The lids for the glass containers also seem to go missing 2x quicker than the ones for the crappy plastic containers. :roll:
Ugh, plastic stacks so much easier and cheaper to boot, but glass is so much nicer.

Mugaaz

Post by Mugaaz » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:18 pm

I'm looking into this for the first time. I'm already super deep into smoking. I see the advantage for SV on stuff that is super hard to dial in, like perfect med rare steak, chicken, or giant roast, but not sure if it is really worth it just for that.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:03 am

CamLeslie wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:30 pm who seems like a super nice guy, and I are disagreeing about whether a MD gives people authority.
You seem like a really nice guy too! And lets be honest, being a wife gives way more authority, at least according to my wife!

ch

Post by ch » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:28 am

The problem with all this is that you can only control the food once it’s in your hands. Odds are that it’s touched plastic at some point in its processing. And if you eat at restaurants, your food has definitely touched plastic. A lot of restaurants (especially chains) heat in plastic nowadays, too.

Out of sight, out of mind, I guess.