Draft: Assembling a home gym

Drafts that may or may not end up as full articles.

Moderator: Chebass88

Allentown
Likes Beer

Draft: Assembling a home gym

Post by Allentown » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:36 am

Brilliant. You're going to put together a home gym! Now you can do laundry and smoke meats between sets! This thread is intended to point out a few of the more popular options at a few different price points so as to pre-answer some common questions about building a home gym. This can be either cheap, and save you some money over a membership, or you can blow $10K quicker than you know what hit you. All of this assumes you are in the US, spending freedomBux, and are getting things new. "Search Craigslist at least twice a day" is a good recommendation, but that makes for a pretty short thread, and is wildly dependent on the local market.

Basics
Minimums
Space requirements-
At the very least, you will need a mostly flat surface at least 8' wide, 5' deep, and 7' feet high. Some of these can be fudged- there are ways around the depth and height, and you really just need a flat surface 5'-6' wide, but you're going to need some clearance in the area you are lifting while you are lifting, especially if you are new to squatting/benching/deadlifting. Width is different- even at 8' you are going to have trouble loading and unloading the bar. 10' is strongly recommended, at least while you are doing your lifting.

Structural requirements-
Ideally, you want your lifting area to be directly on the ground floor, over concrete. You can get around this, there are people with a gym set up in their attic. But you will have 600lbs+ on this area regularly (figure you, the weights, the power cage/etc, bench, so on, even if you only have 200lbs on the bar, you'll still hit 600lbs on the structure really quick!). If you are not on the lowest floor, it's not a bad idea to have someone look at the structure.

Equipment requirements-
You are, at a minimum, going to need a bar, some weights, a bench, and a rack to hold the bar up. Something with safety attachments is highly recommended. It's certainly possible to come up with ways around having a rack/cage/stands (you could do a deadlift/clean & press type programming, for instance), but for our purposes we will assume you will be squatting, benching, pressing, and deadlifting, and you can't do all that safely with the bar starting on the floor.

Lets start with the most important thing: the Barbell

Barbells
Get a CAP-OB86. It sometimes goes on sale for under $100, and it will be perfectly serviceable as an only bar for a novice or early intermediate lifter, or as a second bar for intermediate lifters and beyond. It's not fantastic, but its worth the price. If you have a few more bucks to spend, or want something immediately and the price of the CAP is drifting up over $150, the next best option is going to be:
The bare steel Rogue Ohio Power bar. $250 gets you a bar many people actually PREFER over much more expensive options for the 4 main lifts. This bar will provide more than a lifetime of training. You might never need another bar (unless the CAP goes under $100, then get a second bar just because... or a deadlift bar... or some specialty bars... or...). If you plan to put as much effort into Olympic lifting as you do power lifting, and again want to get started with just one bar, the:
Rogue B&R bar is generally considered a good general purpose bar. The sleeves spin a little better, and it has a little softer knurling (the grippy pattern cut into the bar, basically), making it easier to use for cleans & snatches than the Ohio Power bar, while still being very good for the big 4 lifts.

From there, there are literally hundreds of options for barbells. But lift for a year with the CAP, first, and you will know what you want/need. Generally, the used option is not recommended for a bar, and with proper care they will last for many decades of use. Quality used bars can sometimes be found, but many will be used CAP bars that were bent up/abused/dropped, so be careful. Next up, something to throw on those sleeves!

Weights
Here is where the big "Just check Craigslist every day!" recommendation comes in. Everyone has a 200lb set of Olympic (2in hole diameter) weights rusting away in their basement that they will sell you for $100. Do that, for sure. You will want at least 6x45lb plates, 2x25lb, 2x10lbs, 2x5lbs, and 2x2.5lbs (as long as you are lifting under 400lbs including the bar), but will probably need more weight in short order. Besides the internet and garage sales, new plates are always an option. The lower cost choice would probably be:
CAP plates at WalMart. Watch for free shipping and sales on these. The actual weight can vary, sometimes significantly, on these weights, so if you can take advantage of the in-store pick up and return policy- bring them home and weigh them! As of writing these come to about $1.23 per pound. This comes to $445 with in-store pickup right now, but you'll have to find the 2.5lb plates elsewhere. For a little bit more, you could also get:
Troy calibrated plates. These sit at $1.67 per pound, but are also calibrated, meaning they will weigh within 2% of the stated weight. These will be good forever- competitive powerlifters often use these plates. You can also get free shipping on orders over $500 (currently). So the quantity above will run $592 with free shipping.

Keep in mind, though, that lower cost plates may not always be the proper size. It is important to try and find 45lb plates that are as close to 45cm, the "official" size. Obviously, there are other options than the above. Bumper plates (made mostly from rubber) are good for protecting floors and bars from impacts, but only really necessary for the Olympic lifts or less-structurally-sound floors, and no one really needs competition plates except for very serious competitors (but... so pretty...). The two options above, particularly if you can find them used, will be more than enough for the basic home gym. Now, the (mostly) final piece of the puzzle- the stands and safety equipment you need to actually perform the lifts.

Stands/Cages/Racks
This is probably the place where you don't want to skimp. A non-zero number of people die every year or two or three when they fail a bench press and the bar lands on their head/neck. A failed or poorly re-racked squat has the potential to injure your neck/back/knees. Squat stands like these are appealing for cost and space-saving, and plenty of videos can be found of people squatting 700+lbs off of similar stands, but don't really have a place in a home gym with a lone lifter. A good, solid cage or rack, like plates and barbells, will last through decades of use- even a $7/mo Planet Fitness membership will cost you more over that time than a quality power cage. What you should get will primarily depend on a few factors: space available, price, and your need for accessories. Since this is intended as a starting guide, we won't be getting into things like monolift attachments, multi-grip chin bars, etc, but on most of the recommended pieces those can be added.

The Titan T-3 Squat rack with optional spotter arms provides a solid, and safe, base for your home gym. It doesn't take up much room, can be moved fairly easily, and can be had for under $400. It's not the cheapest thing you can buy, nor is it the absolute smallest, but it IS a very good compromise between cost, mobility, size, and safety.
The similar, slightly more space-intensive but sturdier Titan T-3 Power Rack will cost a few extra bucks, but once you bolt it to the floor it's not going anywhere, and might be better in the long run, as the sturdier nature of a power cage makes it easier to add many of the attachments you might want later on, such as a dip station or cool pull up bar.

Besides Titan Fitness, there are plenty of other companies making quality equipment- the Rogue R-Series might be slightly better in quality than Titan, made in the US, and are often considered to have the best customer service in the fitness industry, but command a a price premium. Legend makes highly customizable power stations, but will again cost more than Rogue. And there are plenty of people on this forum squatting 500+ who will highly recommend Titan products.

Something else to think about when selecting a rack is weight storage- leaning weights up against a wall is fine, and low-cost A-frame weight trees can be found on Amazon, but all of the linked power cages/squat racks either come equipped or can be built to include weight storage. An added bonus of built-in storage on your rack or power cage is additional stability. You won't need to bolt it down if there is an extra 100-300lbs hanging from it!

Bench
The last piece you will need is a solid bench. You need a solid bench, ideally about 12" wide and about 17" tall, with a firm pad that isn't made of a slippery vinyl. Just like with cages, Rogue and Titan are probably the go-to manufacturers.Another good option is a solid adjustable bench, such as the Rep Fitness bench. Also note that Rogue sometimes runs free shipping promotions (they've done it on Black Friday before) that can save you a significant amount.

Cost: (Oct 2017, no sales, assume free shipping)
A bar (OB) $150
Titan T3 Squat Rack & Spotter Arms $387
Titan Flat Weight Bench $120
WalMart Cap iron plates, 355lbs $445
$1110(rounded)
There's your home gym! Order it up, bolt everything together, and feel the gainzZz flow while cooking dinner between sets.

Extra toys
You've got your space picked out and everything you need to get started lifting. There are a few things left you will probably want: platform, shoes, and a lifting belt. Instructions and recommendations for these can be found in other threads- this one is just getting you started with basic equipment.
Last edited by Allentown on Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: Draft: Assembling a home gym

Post by mgil » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:05 pm

This is an excellent start. I’d probably consider a slightly larger area requirement. Some knucklehead will try to setup in a 7’6” wide room and be unable to load the bar. Ideally, I think you need about 10-11’ on one dimension to load the barbell safely.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:44 pm

mgil wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:05 pm This is an excellent start. I’d probably consider a slightly larger area requirement. Some knucklehead will try to setup in a 7’6” wide room and be unable to load the bar. Ideally, I think you need about 10-11’ on one dimension to load the barbell safely.
Indeed. My garage is only 8'8" wide. It would be a horrible pain to load the barbell in there. I'm forced to setup long ways (or will be if I ever get it done). My last garage was 10'. That was fine, though I didn't do much in there.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:46 pm

On adjustable benches: Ironmaster makes a good, affordable bench (it's a bit tall in the flat position for some) and Rep Fitness makes several decent affordable options. If you're looking for the ability to do inclines, these are budget friendly options that will support big weights.

On plates: cheap plates obviously have large weight variance, but are also often not competition diameter.

Bars: used bars can be awesome deals, they're just not super common in most markets.

Racks: built in weight storage can help you avoid having to bolt down your rack.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:07 pm

Cody wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:46 pm On adjustable benches: Ironmaster makes a good, affordable bench (it's a bit tall in the flat position for some) and Rep Fitness makes several decent affordable options. If you're looking for the ability to do inclines, these are budget friendly options that will support big weights.

On plates: cheap plates obviously have large weight variance, but are also often not competition diameter.

Bars: used bars can be awesome deals, they're just not super common in most markets.

Racks: built in weight storage can help you avoid having to bolt down your rack.
Would you recommend the Rep FI bench over the Ironmaster? In addition to the Rogue flat I have the Ironmaster. It is too tall in the flat and a little too narrow, but it's pretty damn versatile. You can do decline situps, dips, leg extensions & curls, leg raises, etc. with the attachments. And it's very solid. (I have my eye on their adjustable dumbbells. . . .)

I was considering getting the Rep for my garage setup, which I'm building out mainly for press and chin ups. I have a nice temperate basement for everything else. . . .

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:33 am

iamsmu wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:07 pm Would you recommend the Rep FI bench over the Ironmaster? In addition to the Rogue flat I have the Ironmaster. It is too tall in the flat and a little too narrow, but it's pretty damn versatile. You can do decline situps, dips, leg extensions & curls, leg raises, etc. with the attachments. And it's very solid. (I have my eye on their adjustable dumbbells. . . .)

I was considering getting the Rep for my garage setup, which I'm building out mainly for press and chin ups. I have a nice temperate basement for everything else. . . .
I would, yeah. They have an updated model coming out soon that should be nicer, not sure the price point though.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:52 am

Modified the width to "a minimum of 8'," with a note that will make loading and unloading difficult unless you have at least 10 feet. I couldn't remember the Rep Fitness brand, and the actual Rep Fitness website is busted for me, so I'm having trouble getting a link. I'll add the other caveats, too.

cwd

Post by cwd » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:52 am

Cody wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:46 pm Bars: used bars can be awesome deals, they're just not super common in most markets.
I'd hesitate to recommend a used bar to someone setting up their first home gym, unless you also include some advice re: how to check it for straightness.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:54 am

cwd wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:52 am I'd hesitate to recommend a used bar to someone setting up their first home gym, unless you also include some advice re: how to check it for straightness.
Yeah- I'd encourage people to look for them, but then unless they know what they are looking for, to post some pictures on the forum about it. Which is beyond the scope of a "Home Gym" sticky thread.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:46 am

Cody wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:33 am
iamsmu wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:07 pm Would you recommend the Rep FI bench over the Ironmaster? In addition to the Rogue flat I have the Ironmaster. It is too tall in the flat and a little too narrow, but it's pretty damn versatile. You can do decline situps, dips, leg extensions & curls, leg raises, etc. with the attachments. And it's very solid. (I have my eye on their adjustable dumbbells. . . .)

I would, yeah. They have an updated model coming out soon that should be nicer, not sure the price point though.
New version: https://www.repfitness.com/strength-equ ... e-bench-v2
Damn they got that out fast, I got the v1 about 8 weeks ago. Good bench for the price point. New one looks to be same price, leftover v1 stock $40 off to $139.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:04 am

damufunman wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:46 am
Cody wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:33 am

New version: https://www.repfitness.com/strength-equ ... e-bench-v2
Damn they got that out fast, I got the v1 about 8 weeks ago. Good bench for the price point. New one looks to be same price, leftover v1 stock $40 off to $139.
Cool, thanks for the find. That link actually worked, so I added it.

Chebass88
Big E

Post by Chebass88 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:16 am

I'd recommend increasing the amount of recommended weight to purchase. 355lb seems like a lot of weight, but that level will be reached quickly with deadlifts, even with novices. 200lb more than what you *think* you'll need is a pretty good starting spot.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:52 am

Chebass88 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:16 am I'd recommend increasing the amount of recommended weight to purchase. 355lb seems like a lot of weight, but that level will be reached quickly with deadlifts, even with novices. 200lb more than what you *think* you'll need is a pretty good starting spot.
I'm going on three years in a home gym, and I haven't gotten anything to 600lbs... I think a 400lb capacity is a good start, and would provide a few weeks/months buffer to figure out what a new lifter might want/need and where to find it?

JC
Uke Star

Post by JC » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:13 am

Do you guys want some cheap homemade rack plans I figured out with scaffolding?

It's way sturdier than about any rack you could buy, designed for ease of assembly and load bearing, and almost infinitely flexible in how you want to construct (or imitate) about any rack design you could think of

Plus, some pretty basic ones I costed up would come in under £150, which is far cheaper than anything on the market, at the cost of some faffing around if you want to adjust the safeties or hooks

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:50 am

JC wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:13 am Do you guys want some cheap homemade rack plans I figured out with scaffolding?

It's way sturdier than about any rack you could buy, designed for ease of assembly and load bearing, and almost infinitely flexible in how you want to construct (or imitate) about any rack design you could think of

Plus, some pretty basic ones I costed up would come in under £150, which is far cheaper than anything on the market, at the cost of some faffing around if you want to adjust the safeties or hooks
Beyond the scope of what to buy for a home gym, I think, but it would certainly make a good thread.