Fuck The World Log

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

MarkKO

Re: Fuck The World Log

Post by MarkKO » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:31 pm

mouse wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:03 pm
MarkKO wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:29 pmGot you. Kind of like a right angle drill? Which is another thing I need to get.
This is the specific ratchet I'm talking about
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/ ... ts/2560-20

And this is the impact
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/ ... es/2564-20

But since you mentioned a right angle drill, this guy is on my wishlist for around the house stuff and that one time I aaaaaacktually had to use a right angle adapter to get into a tight spot when I was building my deck...
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/ ... rs/2505-20

Sorry muffs, didn't mean to hijack your log to fan boy on milwaukee...

Please start squatting again soon...
That's kind of what I imagined. That second one is cool.

This is what I'm looking at for myself

https://www.totaltools.com.au/94157-mak ... re-dda351z

There's a 12V version similar but I kind of don't want to have to run two chargers, or get one of the chargers that cover both 12V and 18V.

I'm just hesitant because I can usually get away with the Milwaukee 90 degree attachment I have, and if I'm going to spend that kind of money I'd rather get this

https://www.totaltools.com.au/96347-mak ... er-dpj180z

Because that I would use often, and right now I'm stuck with using the workshop one which means finding it every time I need it.

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:35 pm

MarkKO wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:31 pm There's a 12V version similar but I kind of don't want to have to run two chargers, or get one of the chargers that cover both 12V and 18V.
If you're a major tool company that has multiple voltage battery options, and you aren't including a multi-voltage dual charger with every tool kit you sell... you're kind of a dick...

Thats one thing I think is dumb about Milwaukee...

The 18v kits come with a charger that handles both 12 and 18... but if you get a 12v kit, they give you a single bay 12... just make the 18/12 standard with everything and stop making the single 12... they're even basically the same damn size. Just dumb...

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:36 pm

mouse wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:35 pm
MarkKO wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:31 pm There's a 12V version similar but I kind of don't want to have to run two chargers, or get one of the chargers that cover both 12V and 18V.
If you're a major tool company that has multiple voltage battery options, and you aren't including a multi-voltage dual charger with every tool kit you sell... you're kind of a dick...

The 18v kits come with a charger that handles both 12 and 18... but if you get a 12v kit, they give you a single bay 12... just make the 18/12 standard with everything and stop making the single 12... they're even basically the same damn size. Just dumb...
I agree. I've never bought a 12 volt, but my 18V went bad and the only replacement was a dual. It's the same size as the original 18V that came with my kit originally. If I was an electrician the 12V is apparently great for doing cover plates.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:02 pm

mouse wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:35 pm

Makita make ONE 18V/12V dual charger. Doesn't come as standard with anything. Either you get an 18V charger with an 18V kit or a 12V charger with a 12V kit, although depending on the kit you'll either get a rapid or standard charger. The standard is pretty much worthless as far as I'm concerned simply because the rapid charger exists.

You see very few 12V Makita tools as far as I'm aware, probably because they're just underpowered. I guess for home use they might be more popular because they're cheaper.

I've definitely seen more of the M12 tools, and where I used to work had a bunch but I'm not a fan because I find my hands are too small to comfortably hold them for long. I'm not sure why they built the batteries that way.

mouse

Post by mouse » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:54 am

MarkKO wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:02 pm The standard is pretty much worthless as far as I'm concerned simply because the rapid charger exists.
If you believe the internet tradesmen the rapid chargers will eventually lead to ruining your battery. Something about the heat it generates in the cells decreasing the overall life. I have one of each from varying kits and I default to the regular charger just in case unless I'm doing yardwork and need to juice one up quicker.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:35 am

I'm sick of people telling me I'm a "talented writer"

Firstable, what the FUCK does that mean,

Second of All,

WHAT FUCKING GOOD DOES THIS DO ME!?

Professors be like wow, this is nice. Learned men, wise men, wiser than I. The plebs report: "You should write for SNL" (wtf!?) or "wow that was nice"

Like I doubt all that shit because it's easy as fuck to fart words out onto paper, like literally any 3rd year Mechanical Engineer student could probably fart out Slaughterhouse Five if they really wanted to, but could I draw a freebody diagram for a clean and jerk!? Actually, I probably could but that's not the point here the point here is for this to sound as stark raving mad as is possibly without incensing the passions of the peanut gallery. I have failed in that pursuit as I have in many others. Fuck it, the average working engineer could write Ulysess. Fuck it!

In all seriousness, I'm just not that good at anything. I guess it's fine. You can learn to be fine with that.

I was thinking about an esteemed local jazz drummer I took exactly three awkward lessons before running away due to a lack of money and seriousness. It's like, this guy puts out live CD's of his band concerts with professional artwork and everything. Guy edits for one of the drum magazines, but who honestly listens to this shit but wine moms and golf dads out in the hills? Does anyone buy the CD and actually plop it into the CD player of their 2007 Prius (I could afford an Audi with the touchscreen infotainment - but it's better to save!) and have a good time to it the way they would anything else?

Some part of me feels intensely sad about the insignificance and futility of our lives. The kind of sadness born from being smacked too much over the head as a kid and the kind of sadness that makes drowning in a river feel as soft as your bed. Then another brighter part flicks on and has to flash out in morse code: what if that doesn't matter either?

Just farting around and waiting to die. That's not so bad. If you're happy making your little jazz concerts and playing to golf moms and wine dads at high altitudes, then I guess that is it.

Same way I ran 3.5 miles today slow as balls. I guess if it makes you feel something, then it's not a waste.

I mostly just feel tired.

mouse

Post by mouse » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:51 am

You're giving way too much credit to engineers and their ability to put words on paper.

I can't tell you how many process details I've had to nuke from orbit and rewrite because an engineer who makes way more money than me wrote it like a drunk chimp who learned to speak english as a parlor trick.

You're certainly a CREATIVE writer, that's for sure...
EggMcMuffin wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:35 am I mostly just feel tired.
Yo

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:49 am

mouse wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:51 am You're giving way too much credit to engineers and their ability to put words on paper.

I can't tell you how many process details I've had to nuke from orbit and rewrite because an engineer who makes way more money than me wrote it like a drunk chimp who learned to speak english as a parlor trick.

Yo
This gave me a good laugh. Everyone says my handwriting is like a first graders and my response is always "I'm from Louisiana I can't read"

But seriously though a lot of engineers, especially process engineers are a joke. Companies really need to make you work on a shop floor for your first month or 2 so you can experience a task and what day to day manufacturing is like.

mouse

Post by mouse » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:32 am

SnakePlissken wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:49 am
mouse wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:51 am You're giving way too much credit to engineers and their ability to put words on paper.

Yo
This gave me a good laugh. Everyone says my handwriting is like a first graders and my response is always "I'm from Louisiana I can't read"
If that made you laugh than when you realize I'm talking about typed out word files you'll bust a gut...
SnakePlissken wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:49 am But seriously though a lot of engineers, especially process engineers are a joke. Companies really need to make you work on a shop floor for your first month or 2 so you can experience a task and what day to day manufacturing is like.
Yo, preaching to the choir. I'm lucky enough to have moved into the new product development area these last couple of years so even the green ones are forced to try and understand the build from the ground up... if I was still in my old spot I'd have gone completely mental by now.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:31 pm

mouse wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:54 am
MarkKO wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:02 pm The standard is pretty much worthless as far as I'm concerned simply because the rapid charger exists.
If you believe the internet tradesmen the rapid chargers will eventually lead to ruining your battery. Something about the heat it generates in the cells decreasing the overall life. I have one of each from varying kits and I default to the regular charger just in case unless I'm doing yardwork and need to juice one up quicker.
I have never heard that, but then I've never really had much to do with internet tradesmen.

I've been using my rapid charger exclusively and I've got batteries I've been charging on it since mid 2018 that still work totally fine.

I've currently got seven batteries, which is enough for the workshop and *just* enough to squeak through on the jobsite if I don't have to run more than five tools at once. A rapid charger is a necessity, because you don't have time to wait an hour or so for a 5Ah battery to charge fully. Maybe if you ran 3 and 2Ah only you might get away with a standard charger, but I doubt it because outside a drill or driver most tools chew through a 3Ah stupidly fast.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:36 pm

EggMcMuffin wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:35 am

I'm sick of people telling me I'm a "talented writer"

Firstable, what the FUCK does that mean,

Second of All,

WHAT FUCKING GOOD DOES THIS DO ME!?

Professors be like wow, this is nice. Learned men, wise men, wiser than I. The plebs report: "You should write for SNL" (wtf!?) or "wow that was nice"

Like I doubt all that shit because it's easy as fuck to fart words out onto paper, like literally any 3rd year Mechanical Engineer student could probably fart out Slaughterhouse Five if they really wanted to, but could I draw a freebody diagram for a clean and jerk!? Actually, I probably could but that's not the point here the point here is for this to sound as stark raving mad as is possibly without incensing the passions of the peanut gallery. I have failed in that pursuit as I have in many others. Fuck it, the average working engineer could write Ulysess. Fuck it!

In all seriousness, I'm just not that good at anything. I guess it's fine. You can learn to be fine with that.

I was thinking about an esteemed local jazz drummer I took exactly three awkward lessons before running away due to a lack of money and seriousness. It's like, this guy puts out live CD's of his band concerts with professional artwork and everything. Guy edits for one of the drum magazines, but who honestly listens to this shit but wine moms and golf dads out in the hills? Does anyone buy the CD and actually plop it into the CD player of their 2007 Prius (I could afford an Audi with the touchscreen infotainment - but it's better to save!) and have a good time to it the way they would anything else?

Some part of me feels intensely sad about the insignificance and futility of our lives. The kind of sadness born from being smacked too much over the head as a kid and the kind of sadness that makes drowning in a river feel as soft as your bed. Then another brighter part flicks on and has to flash out in morse code: what if that doesn't matter either?

Just farting around and waiting to die. That's not so bad. If you're happy making your little jazz concerts and playing to golf moms and wine dads at high altitudes, then I guess that is it.

Same way I ran 3.5 miles today slow as balls. I guess if it makes you feel something, then it's not a waste.

I mostly just feel tired.
I think that's kind of it.

There isn't, as far as I can tell, any kind of purpose to any life other than just to be life.

That doesn't bother most animals, but unfortunately humans are *just* smart enough to realise it and that's where the problems start.

So I figure we make our own purpose. Your best bet is to find a tolerable way to spend the time you're going to be here for.

Culican

Post by Culican » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:38 am

Maximum entropy and minimum enthalpy. That's what life is all about ... or at least that's what a biochemistry professor told his class back in 1974.

That struck me as very profound at the age of 19. Sometimes it still does.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:11 pm

Culican wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:38 am Maximum entropy and minimum enthalpy. That's what life is all about ... or at least that's what a biochemistry professor told his class back in 1974.

That struck me as very profound at the age of 19. Sometimes it still does.
They all seem to have the same theme. My Thermo professor told us about how in the late 1800s there was a German scientist/philosopher that believed that at some point enough entropy would be generated in the universe that it would implode and our existence would disappear like a black hole. Something I think of a lot as well.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:14 am

I accidentally ran 2 miles instead of 2.5 like I was supposed to on Tuesday

woops

Going to start at least benching again while I try to run 6k. Any sensible ideas on how to do so!?

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:44 am

EggMcMuffin wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:14 am I accidentally ran 2 miles instead of 2.5 like I was supposed to on Tuesday

woops

Going to start at least benching again while I try to run 6k. Any sensible ideas on how to do so!?
I think as long as you don't bench after running you should be fine.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:46 pm

"it appears you have measured from the negative x-axis. please review trigonometric functions"

how about you suck my fucking dick from the negative x-axis asshole and review this asshole? fuck learning and fuck school, I wanna be like the kids who beat me up when I was little: get some chick pregnant at 16, crash my fox body Mustang somewhere in East Palo Alto, flee to Mexico, come back and then get shot over some dumbshit because some scrap stepped on your wack ass red colorway Jordans. i have sailor mouth and I am no way in any kind of shape or form "thug", I wear big coke bottle glasses and the only thing about me that suggests criminality is loss prevention at REI following me because I don't pass a paper bag test which is why I don't like shopping there what the hell I can hear you talkng on the walkie I work retail too bitch wtf
Some Brain Dead Commie Hobos from Oakland wrote: kill each other off just like they want you to
ways to survive don't involve killing your kind
poverty is colorblind
the system's fault not yours or mine
kill again but look who is losing

Anyone on to more normal, less irritating topics (this is MY log okay? I can talk about WHATEVER I WANT)

You can talk about whatever you want in here too (no politics please), honestly you can log in here too I don't really care. Tool talk, take over my log, etc. I don't care.

I can run 4 miles in 35:30 which is slow as fuck but it felt good. I need trail running shoes but the people at REI make me uncomfortable (I'm not the only one judging by the amount of people complaining in the Yelp reviews) so I'm going to sell blood plasma and cop me some Gore-Tex Nike Pegasus Trail 4 with Nike NikeBoost Ultra Lunar Solar Butthole Rebound Technology (by Nike). I'm thirty years old.

I am beginning to like running more than lifting. I'm sorry. I like the freedom. I like the fresh air. I spent my entire childhood and teen years sat in front of a computer or game console doing fuck all, wasting away and being a complete loser in general so I honestly really hate being indoors these days, even to lift. I don't look forward to becoming a software engineer (other than money) because of all the sitting and indoorsy shit. I am barely literate but I heard an excerpt from David Foster Wallace's The Soul Is Not A Smithy where the whole little scene is about the dude's dad sitting in front of a tiny patch of grass on his lunch break outside the building where he works a depressing accounting job. That shit made me almost cry but there is no crying in retail, and the last time I cried at work was when I was reading about Jesus Christ of Nazareth when I was working fast food.

Running is hard as fuck.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:21 pm

A) Fuck you, you’re faster than me
B) Fuck REI, but even more fuck roadrunners or anywhere that sells running shoes.
C) Get you some ASICS ventures or Saucony Cohesion trail shoes off of Amazon for like $40-50. Fuck spending more than $100 on shoes that you will destroy in 300 miles.
D)

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:22 am

2 things:

If you already don't like the concept of being a software engineer in school, you're really going to hate it as a job.

REI isn't racist, they hate anyone who isn't at least upper middle class and they preferably like people that drive a Tesla or a Range Rover. The running shoes you want to buy there are likely marked up an extra 20-50% at REI of what you could get at a regular shoe store or online.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:03 am

@SnakePlissken
I've hated every single job I've ever had. Granted I'm a fairly traumatized, messed up dude so I have trouble enjoying things in general but I can't imagine I'm going to love anything I do. I feel like I might enjoy the trades but that ship has sorta sailed at this point in my life. Programming isn't boring for me though, it's just not something that drives me wild with passion.

Also I only go to REI to look at the clearance section since they usually have a bunch of shoes in my size, but each time I go they look at me like I'm gonna steal something lol

@augeleven
git gud

also I'm skeptical of cheap shoes. I've learned not to skimp on anything that goes between the ground and whatever you have contacting it. When I first started running I had some cheapo Nikes and it fucked my ankles up

------------

3.05 in that time

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:30 am

I can vouch for the ASICS ventures and the Saucony cohesion fwiw. I put about 300ish miles on maybe 6 pairs of cohesions, I’m on my first pair of ventures and ASICS excites and I might be switching. I trail run in road runners a lot, and on the east coast that means lots of mud, roots, rocks. Minimal scrambling - when I’m trying to do stuff with slicker rock 1) I want vibram soles, and 2) I’m probably hiking and not running. I don’t care for waterproof shoes, as my feet sweat too much and they need to breathe as much as possible.
git gud
Maybe you fucked your ankles up from trying too much too fast too soon?