The Strongman Thread

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

zappey1

Re: The Strongman Thread

Post by zappey1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:52 am

My head and man crush are telling me that Hafthor is going to win handily but Matins surprises me all the time! Martins constantly reaches deep to find a way to win. Over the past few year Maritns has earned my respect for his tenacity!

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:54 am

Is there anyone with a bigger difference between their game face and walking around face? Martins is always so happy go lucky and goofy, but when it’s time to turn it on he’s got one hell of a war face.

mouse

Post by mouse » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:57 pm

lehman906 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:54 am Is there anyone with a bigger difference between their game face and walking around face? Martins is always so happy go lucky and goofy, but when it’s time to turn it on he’s got one hell of a war face.
Martins training on YouTube vs Martins in competition is a whole different animal dude...

Ragholmes

Post by Ragholmes » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:51 pm

I think Matteus has come a long way in the last 18 months or so. He hasn’t completely fixed his weaknesses but he has addressed and improved on them. He is so good at some of the events that moving up a bit on the weaker ones makes him a legitimate threat.
He has got a lot bigger appearancewise, I have no idea of his weights. But I was watching the Dubai thing he won and then went back and watched that Columbus one from a couple years back where he killed it with the natural stone. He looks so different, almost unrecognizable, I swear his head is now twice the size.
I think the players are Thor, Licis and Matteus. And then a big, big gap to the rest of the field.

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:37 pm

mouse wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:57 pm
lehman906 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:54 am Is there anyone with a bigger difference between their game face and walking around face? Martins is always so happy go lucky and goofy, but when it’s time to turn it on he’s got one hell of a war face.
Martins training on YouTube vs Martins in competition is a whole different animal dude...
Yeah, he definitely plays up how injured or tired or weak he is for the camera, which is a double win for him. Entertainment value and not letting opponents get a read on how his training is really going.

I imagine others do the same thing, just not as well.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:06 am

How about Adam Bishop winning UK strongest man? I never thought he would get big and strong enough to beat the Stoltman bros!

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:13 am

Good video (I think)

(Even if you're not into strongman skip to about 10:05 for a treat)
Last edited by mbasic on Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:47 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:13 am Good video (I think)

(Even if you're not into strongman skip to about 10 minutes 5 seconds for treat)
I would endorse this message.

I'm somewhere between a Tier 1 and Tier 2 at this point... but if the next year pans out like I think it will I'm going to quickly become a Tier 3 lol

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:52 am

Gotta say, Alan's videos are pretty good as of late IMO.
(I didn't care for him a few years back...mostly becuz WL stuff).

Makes me wanna try some strongman training/workouts.

I forgot to @ u mouse. But that's what I was getting at...if it were a prudent list and the priority of things?

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:31 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:52 am Gotta say, Alan's videos are pretty good as of late IMO.

I forgot to @ u mouse. But that's what I was getting at...if it were a prudent list and the priority of things?
I agree with pretty much all of it.

I could nitpick him on just how much sandbags are analogous to stones/kegs (not all that much IMO) but deep down I think he knows that lol.

Maybe more so since he has those nice super tightly packed Rogue bags... but my mil-surp DIY is nothing like either.

When it comes to stones, the one piece of info I'd add is that if you're going to invest in a stone mold(s) (and are a male) go BIGGER than you need and learn how to lighten them. It's not good for the life of the stone, but it's more versatile as you grow. SMALL stones (16" dia or less) can't be made into HEAVY stones, but BIG stones can be made into LIGHTER stones. Plus 18"+ stones feel more natural to pick/load (again, from a male perspective).

I understand why he probably didn't want to take a 10 minute aside in his 11 minute video to talk about that though lol.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:36 am

mouse wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:31 am
mbasic wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:52 am Gotta say, Alan's videos are pretty good as of late IMO.

I could nitpick him on just how much sandbags are analogous to stones/kegs (not all that much IMO) but deep down I think he knows that lol.

Maybe more so since he has those nice super tightly packed Rogue bags... but my mil-surp DIY is nothing like either.

When it comes to stones, the one piece of info I'd add is that if you're going to invest in a stone mold(s) (and are a male) go BIGGER than you need and learn how to lighten them. It's not good for the life of the stone, but it's more versatile as you grow. SMALL stones (16" dia or less) can't be made into HEAVY stones, but BIG stones can be made into LIGHTER stones. Plus 18"+ stones feel more natural to pick/load (again, from a male perspective).

I understand why he probably didn't want to take a 10 minute aside in his 11 minute video to talk about that though lol.
The easiest way I could think of that don't mess with the structural integrity of the stone is to cast them with plastic/foam/wood inserts.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:22 am

mettkeks wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:36 am
mouse wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:31 am

The easiest way I could think of that don't mess with the structural integrity of the stone is to cast them with plastic/foam/wood inserts.
Yeah that's what you do... but like I mentioned overall it messes with the life of the stone. Eventually after all the dropping/abusing a foam core stone will crack. I don't have TeH dAtA but it's probably much less of an issue with an at-home stone vs. a shared gym stone.

Never mind that I've heard its a total pain in the ass.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:57 pm

If you want to try making stones your self these are 2 of my most popular videos:

I have made 3 stones now using these methods. All 3 cost me less then 1 big mold would have. They are not perfect but get the job done for a fraction of the price.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:32 pm

zappey1 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:57 pm If you want to try making stones your self these are 2 of my most popular videos:

I have made 3 stones now using these methods. All 3 cost me less then 1 big mold would have. They are not perfect but get the job done for a fraction of the price.
I might give this a shot over the spring/summer because I really need wouldn't mind having a 275 and a 320... my 220 is fun, but I've outgrown it pretty fast...

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:20 pm

@mouse It is a fun summer project. I would combine some of the ideas from each video. Some things I liked more about the 1st stone (the smooth inside) some things I liked better about the 2nd (more round because it was buried). I made a 3rd stone that I don't have a video of that used plaster as the mold. That one was the best. But when I tried to make bigger stones the mold could not hold the weight of the concrete.

After my sojourn to Iceland I have been motivated to try and make a replica of the Husafell stone this summer (maybe a little lighter so I can practice better). I was thinking same idea. Dig a hole approximately Husafell stone shape line it with plastic poor in concrete seal it up and hope for the best.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:44 am

Well there ya have it... straight from Brian...

TLDW:

Brian is saying that he has NOT been invited to the Arnold by any of the organizers or Arnold himself (referencing the controversial tidbit of his recap video where you can hear Schwarzenegger saying something about "coming to Columbus" and that he's "over-ruling"). Beyond that, and I find this SUPER RESPECTABLE... he says that if they end up extending the offer to compete, he plans to turn them down, because by the rules... he didn't qualify.

He goes on to confirm what I had hoped for/suspected, in that he's looking at this opportunistically to put 100% of his focus on WSM and a fifth title.

That is super exciting news because that's a huge advantage, because nearly all of the other big players (Martins, Hafthor, Mateusz, Kearney, etc) are going to be at the Arnold. The Arnold seems to beat these guys up pretty bad with how heavy it is, so Shaw will have so much more time to develop himself and stay healthy.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:07 am

@mouse IDK I think Brain's glory days are done. The events have been shifting to favor quicker competitors and heavier weights, plus he is getting older. I don't see another WSM title in the cards for him. Maybe a podium finish if he is lucky. Same thing that happened to Žydrūnas. They just got to old.

Only 1 man has ever won 5

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:14 am

zappey1 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:07 am @mouse IDK I think Brain's glory days are done. The events have been shifting to favor quicker competitors and heavier weights, plus he is getting older. I don't see another WSM title in the cards for him. Maybe a podium finish if he is lucky. Same thing that happened to Žydrūnas. They just got to old.

Only 1 man has ever won 5
I agree, and the window may be almost completely shut, but this circumstance may allow him to get that 5th. As much as I love Martins, I'd like to see Brian get it. He's a better strongman than Mariusz, but he just didn't have the fortune of competing during the IFSA split.

Strongman is becoming like a "real" professional sport in that the level of parity is so high that it really comes down to who comes in the freshest, most prepared, and least injured. You can't have an off day and win anymore.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:42 am

lehman906 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:14 am Strongman is becoming like a "real" professional sport in that the level of parity is so high that it really comes down to who comes in the freshest, most prepared, and least injured. You can't have an off day and win anymore.
I was just talking about this the other day with some lifting bros. 10 years ago or so I had pipe dreams of maybe competing at higher levels. Now the weights are so heavy I'm pretty sure I'll never move on from the local level.

The deadlift at the Santa Monica is a good example 775 (or what ever) for reps in a minute! Ten years ago 1@775 won a max deadlift at WSM.

Eventually I might be able to pull 775 (in a dream). But I have no expectations of being able to pull 775 for 10! That event wasn't even for a big show!

I get that those are elite level athletes but it has trickled down to lower levels also.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:26 pm

zappey1 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:42 am
I get that those are elite level athletes but it has trickled down to lower levels also.
Lol the deadlift at USS Nats this year is 675 from the floor for reps... I might be able to get one lol

Yeah I doubt any of us are getting to the Arnold/WSM... but I wouldn't say it's totally out of reach to compete at higher levels. I mean don't get me wrong, it's hard AF lol...

But I am also blessed to be able to train with TWO USS national champs in Buffalo so I mean it's not like it can't be done...