Martha Rogers Thread

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Re: 2018 A03 UPDATE

Post by DirtyRed » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:03 pm

mbasic wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:28 amSARAH ROBLES 'broke' the SHW USA record that stood since 2001 in the CnJ.... she did 162.
All the weight classes has changes. so I don't think techinically its a record.
1.) Stop phoneposting
2.) Isn't half the point of SHW that it never changes?
For reference, that Russian lady (who was popped for PED use BTW, at age 16 or 17 IIRC) does 180 with regularity.
Robles should figure out how to get that much kick out of her "birth control."

mbasic

Re: Martha Rogers Thread

Post by mbasic » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:27 am

Mkgillman wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:29 pm So...um, bear with me here for just a second. You think that those are acceptable "jokes" to make from an account that starts off with a not-even-a-little funny name? Because, that shit ISN'T funny or acceptable. It is straight up misogynist garbage.
you need to re-calibrate your sense of humor in the context of a meme page, on the internet.
Most of meme'ed athletes participate in the meme'ing, until a nerve gets struck.
I really don't understand why you hold professional female athletes in such contempt, but it is very, very apparent that you hold them to a completely different standard than men. The Mattie thread on this board has more replies than every other athlete thread put together.
Not true. You aren't aware of all my posts, here, YT, other forums, etc.
Have been critical of male lifters too, probably even moreso.
Just the subject matter is different (more male WL aren't doing handstands in thongs on the beach...and the like).
Those guys get roasted for other characteristics.
Then you have memes that are criticizing athletes that are fat shaming athletes
You don't get the subject matter of meme. I am sorry
followed directly by one criticizing them for "bootie shots."
Its not a good look for future young female athletes, wouldn't you agree.
The Sport is getting sexualized in a way by these women.

The Sport isn't about who can lift the most weight anymore...its sad.

Mkgillman
Biker

Post by Mkgillman » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:15 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:27 am
you need to re-calibrate your sense of humor in the context of a meme page, on the internet.
Most of meme'ed athletes participate in the meme'ing, until a nerve gets struck.
No, I really don't need to laugh away an anonymous account that is using their platform to harass or disparage athletes. I am not even a little bit surprised SafeSport has been hammering that account since online/digital harassment is a huge reason for the creation of the program. Where is the line between "roasting" well known athletes and local trolls going after teenage competitors? Have you ever looked at the comments that female athletes get on their social media posts? Is that just good, clean fun?
mbasic wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:27 am Just the subject matter is different (more male WL aren't doing handstands in thongs on the beach...and the like).
Those guys get roasted for other characteristics.

Its not a good look for future young female athletes, wouldn't you agree.
The Sport is getting sexualized in a way by these women.

The Sport isn't about who can lift the most weight anymore...its sad.
In what possible world do you think that you or I or anyone else gets to make a determination about the sexual agency and body image of adults online? I have yet to see any "bootie" shots on the official USA Weightlifting feed. This is the same sport that featured men competing in singlets that left absolutely nothing to the imagination for decades, but a young woman needs to be more careful about what they post on their private account? There is exactly zero money to be made winning in weightlifting, or any strength sport, so why the hell do you begrudge athletes the opportunity to leverage social media to pay the bills?

I guess I also missed the podium presentation for most online followers, because every meet I see is still based off the lifter's total. If you don't like the way that people present themselves on their personal accounts, don't follow them. I have absolutely no interest in TONS of online celebrities, so I don't pay attention. It really is that easy. Weightlifting has lots and lots of problems to address, arbitrary changes to weight classes, systemic doping programs, no financial incentives for top athletes, but strong women determining how they present their own bodies sure as hell isn't one of them.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:33 am

Mkgillman wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:15 am I guess I also missed the podium presentation for most online followers, because every meet I see is still based off the lifter's total. If you don't like the way that people present themselves on their personal accounts, don't follow them. I have absolutely no interest in TONS of online celebrities, so I don't pay attention.
Some weird irony with this statement^
People (some here) made the case that USAW should of selected Martha over the athletes to go the the Olympics
because of her on-line following, and that she was more "marketable"....to attract more athletes to the sport.
All those female Olympic prospects were all doing well at the time (Robles, Morgan, Rogers).
And by "attract more athletes to the sport", ya know who that is right? or SHOULD BE?
Youths.....like 8-11 year old girls. (everyone complaining the majority USAW athletes don't start young enough).

So this one statement ^ pretty much invalidates everything you said here about the interwebbz, public perception, etc.

Oh, I'll admit, Martha has toned the sexualzation thing down lately.
I would suspect this might have to do with maturity, she's the queen of the sport now(USA only), and the BF.
The thing between her and Vibert was petty....she really should've took the high ground there.

I was like you a while ago; i didn't care about what the ladies posted of themselves.
Then my daughter, whose in sports, got a little older.
So yeah....um..... not caring for the athletes making "it" about their bodies.

The other thing I'll take umbrage with, you keep doing this White Knight SJW thing: that women treated are somehow different than men
(re: meme'd weightlifters). That's BS. Plenty of men are getting roasted and/or called out for their stupid behaviors as well. **

Jon North has literally become his own meme.

Jarred whats-his-face, the "American as F*ck" guy, screaming all over the platform after lifts, acting like a douche bag...
....I've publicly admonished that idiot several places.

Posted (not here) about LuX's ridiculous habit of taking off his singlet top on stage after making lifts, flexing muscles, etc.
What. A. Dork. (best was when the KAZ guy took his gold medal away, after Lu's pre-mature shirtless celebration).

I pretty much created the bar path diagram that features no-bar-path post about Kiser Witte.
(had a melt down....he AND his coach abandoned the meet after bombing the snatch portion)

Those meme pages also attack the drug users, cheaters, and people doing scrupulous things.
(things YOU would call more tangible problems).
------------------------------------------------------------------------

** One thing I will say, is maybe, just maybe the women get more attention and criticism to a slight degree...
....and its not because of any of the social "misogynist" evils you are thinking ....
...and I've written about this elsewhere, and many others I have spoken with share this same view:
The Women are probably the short term key to USAW medalling on the world stage.
The men? they are not even close, because reasons (naunces of PEDs, athlete pools, tradition, US men getting sucked into other sports, etc. etc. etc.)
The women will be more competitive with the other world teams....because too many reasons to go over here...but some of those reasons are why the USA is a great country for a woman to live in ironically.

It the weightlifting community, it is my perception, the women garner more attention because of this.
The recent more aggressive drug testing and/or weight class restructing may have given a SLIGHT boost to the men's HOPES.
But still, the women are closer to the ultimate end goal.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:58 am

GETTING BACK TO MARTHA:

appartently, the Ukraine had their Nationals recently.
They are currectly a suspended country (as a whole).

some of our 71's would've done well here:
W45
Hladkova 49/59/108

W49
Lomachinska 68/91/159

W55
Konotop 88/99/187

W59
Tymoshchuk 83/96/179

W64
1st Kirychuk 81/109/190
3rd Shymechko (née Kalina) 79/100/179

W71
Khlyan 93/117/210

W76
Dekha 102/121/223

W81
Kisil 92/110/202

W87
Shyshanova 98/115/213

W87+
Lysenko 119/141/260
Martha and Meredith could've medalled several weight classes up from 71.

Don't know for sure if they (UKN) is blasting, not blasting, don't care about their own National meet, or what.

Even still...I see it as progress.

Mkgillman
Biker

Post by Mkgillman » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:23 am

mbasic wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:33 am

I would suspect this might have to do with maturity, she's the queen of the sport now(USA only), and the BF.
The thing between her and Vibert was petty....she really should've took the high ground there.

I was like you a while ago; i didn't care about what the ladies posted of themselves.

::Men being idiots ON THE PLATFORM::

** One thing I will say, is maybe, just maybe the women get more attention and criticism to a slight degree...
....and its not because of any of the social "misogynist" evils you are thinking ....
...and I've written about this elsewhere, and many others I have spoken with share this same view:
The men? they are not even close, because reasons (naunces of PEDs, athlete pools, tradition, US men getting sucked into other sports, etc. etc. etc.)
The women will be more competitive with the other world teams....because too many reasons to go over here...but some of those reasons are why the USA is a great country for a woman to live in ironically.
Alright, I'm done with this argument. I'm glad that a stranger on the internet has made her personal social media more to your liking. I'm not going to argue about our own children, you are the parent, you make choices. I will say that for my daughter, I am much less concerned about how adult women present their bodies online than I am with being accepting of anonymous social media accounts denigrating or outright attacking women for not behaving "as expected." The culture of anonymous criticism and harassment permeates so many online interactions and absolutely filter down to the actions of teens and young adults.

I do find it telling that the meme examples you cited for the men all reflected poor sportsmanship or actions ON THE PLATFORM. If you don't think that male and females are held to different standards or that there isn't a significant element of misogyny and harassment of women on social media, I literally don't know what to tell you.

But, I'm tired of smashing my head against the wall. I don't want to come back in this thread at all because I find it odd and really don't want to participate.

torkins

Post by torkins » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:32 pm

Mkgillman wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:23 am
mbasic wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:33 am

::Men being idiots ON THE PLATFORM::

Alright, I'm done with this argument. I'm glad that a stranger on the internet has made her personal social media more to your liking. I'm not going to argue about our own children, you are the parent, you make choices. I will say that for my daughter, I am much less concerned about how adult women present their bodies online than I am with being accepting of anonymous social media accounts denigrating or outright attacking women for not behaving "as expected." The culture of anonymous criticism and harassment permeates so many online interactions and absolutely filter down to the actions of teens and young adults.

I do find it telling that the meme examples you cited for the men all reflected poor sportsmanship or actions ON THE PLATFORM. If you don't think that male and females are held to different standards or that there isn't a significant element of misogyny and harassment of women on social media, I literally don't know what to tell you.

But, I'm tired of smashing my head against the wall. I don't want to come back in this thread at all because I find it odd and really don't want to participate.
Attractive male athletes also have to deal with the haters online: https://www.instagram.com/p/Blju3qnBYRJ ... resistance

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:57 pm

She is coming for you Martha....

(130 kg)

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:01 am

mgil wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:02 pm What is the backstory to all of this?
and...its goes on

Vibert posts some nice lifts: 107/128.
Everyone happy; as this is a quasi-AR kinda thing.

about 30 minutes later, martha posts one of her lifts from 2018 worlds:
"which is nice for an international meet seeing as they’re a whoooooole different game than training or national meets. "

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:40 pm

mbasic wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:01 am
mgil wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:02 pm What is the backstory to all of this?
and...its goes on

Vibert posts some nice lifts: 107/128.
Everyone happy; as this is a quasi-AR kinda thing.

about 30 minutes later, martha posts one of her lifts from 2018 worlds:
"which is nice for an international meet seeing as they’re a whoooooole different game than training or national meets. "
I'm reminded of what I was thinking when Tazz turned out to be a member of Aces and Eights. "Is their going to be a match? Of course not. These retards are building to a fight we'll never get to see."

Though now that I type that, I realize I've seen Stacy Keibler and Trish Stratus feud already.

Also, isn't 107 kg better than anything Matilda ever snatched?

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:53 pm

DirtyRed wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:40 pm Also, isn't 107 kg better than anything Matilda ever snatched?
Yes, but only a training lift.

I'm not aware that Matilda has ever done 107 in training either,
or surely we would've heard about then...

I don't get the other references, over my head.

Rogers was pinned by 137 (cj) at Worlds.
She's not getting any stronger.
Hate to go all rippytoe on her and her coach,
but I don't know if all the 8s and 10s, periodized training is doing her much good (anymore).

It usually/supposed to work something like this:
-Hypertrophy phase; (8-10's, etc)
-Strength phase;
-Speed Strength phase;
-Peak/heavy lifts/taper phase

But if you are not Hypertrophy-ing at all (legit medical probs or eating disorder)
... the whole cookie kinda crumbles from there.

- Not a OLC

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:44 pm

mbasic wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:53 pm
DirtyRed wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:40 pm Also, isn't 107 kg better than anything Matilda ever snatched?

but I don't know if all the 8s and 10s, periodized training is doing her much good (anymore).
You're not getting Rippytoey enough on her. A 5'9'', 160 lbs (rounding up) girl is not going to put on any more muscle, or get any stronger, than she currently has or is. I think we've been over this and pretty much everyone was in agreement.

ChrisMcCarthy1979

Post by ChrisMcCarthy1979 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:41 pm

Who is this "Matilda"? Is this a reference I've missed?

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:03 am

DirtyRed wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:44 pm

You're not getting Rippytoey enough on her. A 5'9'', 160 lbs (rounding up) girl is not going to put on any more muscle, or get any stronger, than she currently has or is. I think we've been over this and pretty much everyone was in agreement.
Can't understand your Engrish; is she at maximum amount of muscle mass for her frame, or is she not trying to put on the weight? Also, I believe she is 5'7".

She weighed in at 69.8 kg (~153 lbs) for Worlds. If she wants to Olympics she needs to be up at 76kg (or at least over 71, but come on). She's got a lot of muscle to gain, is that even doable in 1.5 years for someone of her caliber? Gonna be tough with all the qualifying requirements as well. Needs to do a lot of volume work to gain the mass, but still perform at qualifying meets. Yeesh

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:29 am

ChrisMcCarthy1979 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:41 pm Who is this "Matilda"? Is this a reference I've missed?
Martha Ann Rogers aka "Mattie" Rogers.

ChrisMcCarthy1979

Post by ChrisMcCarthy1979 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:31 am

mbasic wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:29 am
ChrisMcCarthy1979 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:41 pm Who is this "Matilda"? Is this a reference I've missed?
Martha Ann Rogers aka "Mattie" Rogers.
Yeah, I was kinda joking as her name isn't Matilda.

It was funny in my head, anyways. :)

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:58 pm

damufunman wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:03 am
DirtyRed wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:44 pm

Can't understand your Engrish; is she at maximum amount of muscle mass for her frame, or is she not trying to put on the weight? Also, I believe she is 5'7".
I am trying to say that she's not going to get any stronger without gaining weight. And she's not going to hit higher numbers in the snatch or clean and jerk without getting stronger.

MPhelps

Post by MPhelps » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:07 am

She's been taking Accutane and has been struggling to stay at her original 69 weight class, which is now way under her Olympic class of 76. She was basically marooned between 2 classes and has 1.5 years to get thicc.

I think Matilda is an attempt at being funny against Mattie, who apparently is uncool on the internet now. She's like the human equivalent of the Romaleos 3.

MPhelps

Post by MPhelps » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:34 am

Speak of my devil, this just came out from the sketchiest dude in USAW coaching, Mash Mulisha:

https://www.mashelite.com/camargo-231/? ... 980b3ab2c3

Danny Carmago talking about coaching Mattie. Haven't listened to much of it, but it's probably going to include Mash kissing ass, talking about God, and making unrelatable comparisons to powerlifting. Plus an annoying 1980s disk jockey host.

Edit: ok so I listened to the whole thing and it was good. Danny talked the whole time so it was tolerable. Mostly about his history and coaching mindset. He butter heads with Mattie because she's very process oriented and he wasn't communicating properly with her. It was literally 3 minutes of 64. So much for the clickbait title.

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:08 pm

MPhelps wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:07 am She's been taking Accutane and has been struggling to stay at her original 69 weight class, which is now way under her Olympic class of 76. She was basically marooned between 2 classes and has 1.5 years to get thicc.
Isn't Accutane an acne medication of prescription and injection variety? Is lack of appetite or weight loss or some shit a possible side effect?
I think Matilda is an attempt at being funny against Mattie, who apparently is uncool on the internet now. She's like the human equivalent of the Romaleos 3.
Naw, I just understand how nicknames and shortened versions of names work. "Mattie" is short for either Matilda or Mattias. And as she's not a Swedish hockey player (or a dude [as far as I'm aware]), it's short for Matilda.

It can't possibly be short for Martha because it's not any shorter than Martha.