Safety Squat Bars

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

TimK
Much Mustache

Re: Safety Squat Bars

Post by TimK » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:08 am

iamsmu wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:59 am
TimK wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:35 am
Griff wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:31 amAlso, my Rep AB500 Zero Gap is coming tonight.
Oooh nice, keep us posted on your impressions. I played with one briefly at their showroom and I was very impressed. Probably going to end up getting one eventually.

I really want that one too. I'd like to offload my 3100FI, but I don't think there's much of a market for used benches.
I see people selling really shitty ones all the time around here, although they are usually bundled with a 300lb dick's sporting goods weight set or similar. If I do end up with the zero gap I'll try to sell mine, I figure I should be able to get $100 for if I'm patient. I mean, that's a great deal for anyone who was considering buying one new for over $200 w/ shipping.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:13 am

TimK wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:08 am

I see people selling really shitty ones all the time around here, although they are usually bundled with a 300lb dick's sporting goods weight set or similar. If I do end up with the zero gap I'll try to sell mine, I figure I should be able to get $100 for if I'm patient. I mean, that's a great deal for anyone who was considering buying one new for over $200 w/ shipping.
Hmm. Maybe I'll list it next month just to see. I have two Crap 45s that I don't want. I might just give them away with the bench and list it at $145 with 2 45's. . . . I'd be fine with $125 for the bench. I so seldom need incline in the garage, I'm tempted to sell the 3100 and just get a Utility bench that I can hang on the wall. The 3100 is a pain. I can't get it out of the way. It won't stand on end. That makes me resent it even more. . . .

Skander

Post by Skander » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:01 pm

Griff wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:31 am Also, my Rep AB500 Zero Gap is coming tonight. Its like Christmas in August :D
There was something I saw recently where someone complained that the seat wobbled. There's apparently a video showing how to fix this from rep, fyi.

Griff

Post by Griff » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:34 pm

Skander wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:01 pm
Griff wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:31 am Also, my Rep AB500 Zero Gap is coming tonight. Its like Christmas in August :D
There was something I saw recently where someone complained that the seat wobbled. There's apparently a video showing how to fix this from rep, fyi.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll post initial impressions tomorrow.

Griff

Post by Griff » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:06 am

Well... I got the AB5000 last night, and unfortunately it seems like I got a lemon. There are several major functional issues--and they're definitely QC misses, not shipping damage. I'm going to reach out to Rep and hopefully they'll make things right. Not trying to hijack the SSB thread, but didn't think it was fair to start a new thread/review until they respond (and hopefully either replace or refund).

Skander

Post by Skander » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:06 am

OMG I tried an SSB for the first time today and it is how squatting should be. It felt so damn good. I should get one, but I would never squat any other way again.

throwinshapes

Post by throwinshapes » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:14 pm

Skander wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:06 am OMG I tried an SSB for the first time today and it is how squatting should be. It felt so damn good. I should get one, but I would never squat any other way again.
I'm with you.

A low/high bar squat makes arbitrary requirements for your arm positioning. SSB frees that all up. I haven't gone back to high/low bar squat since I got my SSB, but my elbows are still on that last bit recovery. I don't know that I ever will since I have no aspirations of competing.

Skander

Post by Skander » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:41 pm

I just realized that an SSB would probably be too wide for my space :-(.

Only after I checked that they're only $175 at Titan right now...

Ragholmes

Post by Ragholmes » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:42 pm

It's been maybe 3 months now since I got my SSB (I think I posted an initial impressions review in this thread).
On Monday I did dips for the first time in well over 18 months! Just 2 sets of 5, tonight I did 3 sets of 8.
I haven't been able to do more than 3 pull-ups without shoulder pain for about the same length of time, could do 20 singles with very short breaks but just couldn't link them together. After the dips I felt good so decided try the pull-ups and got 12! Was nice to stop because I was gassed rather than pain.
I wasted so much time pushing through pain, trying different grip widths, hand positions etc. Then the bow bar for a good while (which was an improvement but not a fix) before I finally got the SSB.
If you're considering getting one, stop considering and get one. It has changed my lifting life.
Really looking forward to getting my bench back on track now too.
Last edited by Ragholmes on Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:29 am

Awesome to hear, @Ragholmes! Thank you for the update.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:26 am

Any reason other than pain to use a SSB? Just for variety? I can Front and Back Squat just fine, but I hear so many good things about the SSB, I'm very curious.

FredM

Post by FredM » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:35 am

damufunman wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:26 am Any reason other than pain to use a SSB? Just for variety? I can Front and Back Squat just fine, but I hear so many good things about the SSB, I'm very curious.
It’s just how God meant us to squat. It feels more natural. It’s easier on the lower back than low bar. It’s easier on the back than front squats. It’s way more comfortable than high bar. It lets you focus on the actual squat 100% instead of rack or elbow or w/e position.

It also has better transference to real life tasks. Never has carrying heavy packs been such a joke after adding 100 lbs to my Ssb

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:58 am

FredM wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:35 am
damufunman wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:26 am Any reason other than pain to use a SSB? Just for variety? I can Front and Back Squat just fine, but I hear so many good things about the SSB, I'm very curious.
It’s just how God meant us to squat. It feels more natural. It’s easier on the lower back than low bar. It’s easier on the back than front squats. It’s way more comfortable than high bar. It lets you focus on the actual squat 100% instead of rack or elbow or w/e position.

It also has better transference to real life tasks. Never has carrying heavy packs been such a joke after adding 100 lbs to my Ssb
As a weightlifter (or someone who does some weightlifting, really), I need to Front Squat, so no getting out of that one. I don't find High Bar Squats uncomfortable at all, but there does have to be some focus on balance and bar path, which I would argue isn't a bad thing since balance and bar path are both important for Snatch and C&J, albeit quite different from a Back Squat.
How has your Back Squat improved in that time? Would carrying a pack not been easier had you put 100 lbs on your High Bar Squat?

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:18 am

Griff wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:06 am Well... I got the AB5000 last night, and unfortunately it seems like I got a lemon. There are several major functional issues--and they're definitely QC misses, not shipping damage. I'm going to reach out to Rep and hopefully they'll make things right. Not trying to hijack the SSB thread, but didn't think it was fair to start a new thread/review until they respond (and hopefully either replace or refund).
#1- how bad could one fuck up a SSB unit, functionally? Please, do tell...

#2- follow up report on this on your contact with Rep Fitness?

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:21 am

mbasic wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:18 am
Griff wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:06 am Well... I got the AB5000 last night, and unfortunately it seems like I got a lemon. There are several major functional issues--and they're definitely QC misses, not shipping damage. I'm going to reach out to Rep and hopefully they'll make things right. Not trying to hijack the SSB thread, but didn't think it was fair to start a new thread/review until they respond (and hopefully either replace or refund).

AB5000 is an incline bench... wrong thread. But in my limited experience (once) they were good when they sent the wrong thing.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:33 am

lolz, it didn't go up far enough

Griff

Post by Griff » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:04 am

damufunman wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:21 am
mbasic wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:18 am

AB5000 is an incline bench... wrong thread. But in my limited experience (once) they were good when they sent the wrong thing.
Yeah, I made a separate thread on the AB-5000. Rep customer service was excellent and I'm generally happy with the replacement bench.

On topic, my Titan SSB is awesome. Really comfortable and hits my legs in a different way from low bar (or high bar)--feels like I'm actually using my quads. I'm embarrassingly weak with it, but I think I can make a lot of progress using it as a primary movement during my hypertrophy block.

Like I mentioned before, there was a cosmetic issue with a small area of the chrome finish. I sent Titan pics and they gave me a 10% refund, which I was happy with.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:55 am

Titan's customer service, in my experience at least, is very good at giving partial or full refunds for cosmetic issues. And I am still very pleased with their SSB as well. Chrome looks a little spotty or not exactly smooth, hard to describe really, but the plates slide on and off easily enough, actually prefer its sleeves to my Rogue Ohio Power & Deadlift bars.

FredM

Post by FredM » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:42 am

damufunman wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:58 am

As a weightlifter (or someone who does some weightlifting, really), I need to Front Squat, so no getting out of that one. I don't find High Bar Squats uncomfortable at all, but there does have to be some focus on balance and bar path, which I would argue isn't a bad thing since balance and bar path are both important for Snatch and C&J, albeit quite different from a Back Squat.
How has your Back Squat improved in that time? Would carrying a pack not been easier had you put 100 lbs on your High Bar Squat?
SSB 270@10 to 355@8

Low bar 315@9 to 405@8

Transference seems to basically be 1:1 for me.

SSB is closer to how a heavy backpack feels. So maybe? I have one data point and it suggests Ssb is by far and away the biggest equipment game changer in my life since the barbell.

I think a lot of strongmen do front squats and ssbs. I plan on doing that going forward since I’m also getting into the Olympic lifts and if I ever do a competition it’ll be strongman

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:58 am

FredM wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:42 am
damufunman wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:58 am

SSB 270@10 to 355@8

Low bar 315@9 to 405@8

Transference seems to basically be 1:1 for me.

SSB is closer to how a heavy backpack feels. So maybe? I have one data point and it suggests Ssb is by far and away the biggest equipment game changer in my life since the barbell.

I think a lot of strongmen do front squats and ssbs. I plan on doing that going forward since I’m also getting into the Olympic lifts and if I ever do a competition it’ll be strongman
I’d expect most squat work apply fairly equally.

Front squat is likely lowest because it’s more reliant on the quads. The back squats are tightly clustered because the lifter can usually squirm into the best position while under the bar with near maximal loads.