Home Gym: Show Me Yours, I'll Show You Mine

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Jay870

Re: Mastodon Strength and Conditioning

Post by Jay870 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:57 am

Cody wrote: This is basically what it looks like now, minus all the accessories and stuff. Nebula 3/4 rack and bench with mono lift hooks, Body Masters leg press, a lat pulldown, and boat loads of lifting belts.
Since you've gone through lots of equipment why'd you settle on the 3/4 rack?

I'm looking to upgrade my rack in the spring and have looked at the Reflex Mini Rack and the Legend Power Station which is basically just an open top full rack. I like the looks of them but the only advantage I see would be the ability to do overhead work in the rack... and since I have a 10ft ceiling I can just get a tall ass full rack. Am overlooking other advantages of 3/4 or open top design?

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:16 am

Jay870 wrote:Since you've gone through lots of equipment why'd you settle on the 3/4 rack?

I'm looking to upgrade my rack in the spring and have looked at the Reflex Mini Rack and the Legend Power Station which is basically just an open top full rack. I like the looks of them but the only advantage I see would be the ability to do overhead work in the rack... and since I have a 10ft ceiling I can just get a tall ass full rack. Am overlooking other advantages of 3/4 or open top design?
Easier to get bars in/out of the rack and they're more versatile in certain spaces. For me, I was able to orient the rack where my garage door tracks are and around the air ducting in the garage. My gigantic HS rack could basically only go in the one spot.

If you have epic tall ceilings and don't plan on moving any time soon, it won't really matter. I fail to see a downside to 3/4 racks that full racks somehow solve though.

iamsmu

Re: Home Gym: Show Me Yours, I'll Show You Mine

Post by iamsmu » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:53 am

I fail to see a downside to 3/4 racks that full racks somehow solve though.
You can do pull ups on a full rack. But, now that you point it out, it would be really nice not to have to do that dance with the bar to get it in an out of the rack. I have a dedicated pull up bar anyway. . .

The other thing a full rack gives you, if you've got the space is the ability to work outside the rack if someone else is inside, sometimes. Someone can bench inside and you can squat outside by just moving the bench. That's something. A little something. Very little, I guess.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:27 am

iamsmu wrote:
I fail to see a downside to 3/4 racks that full racks somehow solve though.
You can do pull ups on a full rack. But, now that you point it out, it would be really nice not to have to do that dance with the bar to get it in an out of the rack. I have a dedicated pull up bar anyway. . .

The other thing a full rack gives you, if you've got the space is the ability to work outside the rack if someone else is inside, sometimes. Someone can bench inside and you can squat outside by just moving the bench. That's something. A little something. Very little, I guess.
Not every 3/4 is identical. Many come with pull up bars. Any that have reverse j-cups available or regular hole-through designs can have a station both inside and outside the rack.

KDW
HODGE

Post by KDW » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:18 pm

Friday I'll post a pic of my ghetto basement gym.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:21 pm

Manveer wrote: Is the AB-3100 the new one? It looks good. $179 is cheap too.
I just got this, have done 2 bench workouts on it. 2 for 2 is good. Was squeaking a bit, but I adjusted the back pad and now it's quiet.
My attempt at unboxing video: https://goo.gl/photos/wPWNj4uVmwihBzso8

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:34 am

Thanks, damufunman. That gap looks a bit big, but otherwise it seems solid for $179.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:40 am

Manveer wrote:Thanks, damufunman. That gap looks a bit big, but otherwise it seems solid for $179.
It's fine using it. Though shipping is $50 (to MI), so there's that. Still pretty good compared to other ladder-style FI benches. Don't get the FID from Rep, that seat pad is the reverse tapered with a rolled end for hooking legs for decline. Plus decline is dumb.

BenM

Post by BenM » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:46 pm

Here's a slightly dodgy panorama I took of mine last night: (attachment broken)

Megatec power rack, el cheapo bar and plates, Ironmaster adjustable bench & some attachments, Ironmaster dumbbells, Xebex air bike, and various other little bits.

It's a bit cramped for space but it works OK. A better bar is on the shopping list, as is a hyperextension attachment and some plate storage (when I work out where to put it - the couch probably needs to go).

What you can't see is it's an L shaped room, the other end has a nice little TV/reading area with Foxtel and a PS3, and the other end of the L is my home office so I can sit at the computer and edit videos and stuff between sets.
Last edited by BenM on Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:54 am

Jay870 wrote:
Cody wrote: This is basically what it looks like now, minus all the accessories and stuff. Nebula 3/4 rack and bench with mono lift hooks, Body Masters leg press, a lat pulldown, and boat loads of lifting belts.
Since you've gone through lots of equipment why'd you settle on the 3/4 rack?

I have a tall ceiling in my garage, but where my rack is has to conform to the garage door opener. I have the Legend unit and flipped the fat bar upside down to clear the track. However, having no overhead bracing allows me (6' tall) to press inside the rack without issues.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:30 am

Ok people. First layer floor: Drylock
second layer votes:
OSB Tongue an Groove? This is what I'm leaning toward as it's a little cheaper than plywood and more uniform and tongue and groove seems like a good idea?

https://i.imgur.com/dnzkPGi.jpg

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:45 am

All the bottom layers of my platform are OSB. It works quite well.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:51 am

Just bought the osb so win, for one layer
Now to decide how many layers. each layer is $. Unless I reuse my existing platform. Though i kinda loath trying to move those 4x8 out of the basement. that sucked balls, and not the good way like KOTJ.
I did fuck up 4 tiles of drylock and have to buy and cut more. so lose

Man if i get the floor in i could conceivable move my rack, while finishing the walls/electrical/ceiling

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:25 am

Get a buddy to help. Took me and a friend about 10 minutes to move 8 sheets into the basement. Although I guess bringing them up would suck slightly more. Use gloves, plywood is surprisingly sharp.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:59 am

damufunman wrote:Get a buddy to help. Took me and a friend about 10 minutes to move 8 sheets into the basement. Although I guess bringing them up would suck slightly more. Use gloves, plywood is surprisingly sharp.
It's osb, and my maneuvering into the basement is a PITA. Saving 300$ though would be good.
Edges fucked on it so getting the tongue into the groove will also be a huge pita.
requires rack disassembly too.

Lemons: Dented the door casing on the new doors cause I parked too close to load in the second layer and some of the osb slipped otu of the truck and slammed into the door. CAN.NOT.FUCKING>WIN

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:05 pm

Idlehands wrote:
Lemons: Dented the door casing on the new doors cause I parked too close to load in the second layer and some of the osb slipped otu of the truck and slammed into the door. CAN.NOT.FUCKING>WIN
I feel your pain.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1y5dIcWh5TYMAO4D2
Was gonna just clear out the space in the one section between joists on the left, turned out there was an AC duct in there. Didn't realize fire sprinkler pipes would be in the way for second row. Fourth and fifth rows also have AC ducts, as you can see. third from left and far right ended up working out, but now my ginormous set up is smack dab in the middle of the basement... I am lucky I have the space and a supportive wife. But waaaaaay more work than I expected to get that to work. It's great working out there now though, glad I got it done.
You'll figure yours shit out though, looks like it'll be a pretty sweet setup.

KDW
HODGE

Post by KDW » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:51 am

KDW wrote:Friday I'll post a pic of my ghetto basement gym.
Here is Kong's Landing. Couldn't get everything in one picture...and I wasn't about to move everything after my workout yesterday.

York Plates including 2 100's
2 OPB's
1 B&R bar
Rogue Adjustable bench
EliteFTS Econo Rack
50 lb Power Blocks
Home Depot chalk bucket (not shown)
Old Iphone hooked up to Old computer speakers (not shown)
1 average band
Warped 8X8 platform

Could use some improvements, new stuff, and more plates but gets the job done.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:55 pm

ImageMaking progress

May end up squatting Monday. No lights yet. Or electric or climate control but fuck I don't have climate control in the basement. And this is new!

Anyone want to help move rack/weights wod?

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:19 pm

Whoa that's even bigger than my platform! Looking good.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:52 pm

Getting there.

Sanded the floor a ton to get the left door to open all the way. Nothing in that space started level or square. The platform however is dead level, with no bounce.

I moved stuff today!

Buddy came and helped me assemble and move plates: