RepOne

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

loganmerriam

Re: RepOne

Post by loganmerriam » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:29 pm

TimK wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:39 am I'm 99% certain that they must have edited that since the site first went up earlier today. Must have realized people were confused.
Can confirm. I'm the guy that pulled an all-nighter getting this announcement website up. Realized how confused people were after the initial response and changed it to clarify.
damufunman wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:13 am One of the screenshots looked a lot like the OBB software, maybe download that now in case you could get grandfathered in for the free version? Can't hurt...
You're absolutely right, we're releasing a (slightly updated) version of the OpenBarbell app for the new devices, but there's no reason to download the OB app in the meantime: it won't work with RepOne sensors since they send 3D position data now instead of 1D velocity data. New app will be totally free, you only need StrengthOS if you're running a team or training org.

Happy to answer any other questions.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:22 pm

@loganmerriam, thank you for posting. It’s good to have transparency.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:33 pm

loganmerriam wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:29 pmyou only need StrengthOS if you're running a team or training org.
Well sheeit. That's cool.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:56 am

@loganmerriam Thanks for stopping by! Good point about the 3D data not being compatible with the 1D design, forgot about that.

thejosef

Post by thejosef » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:24 pm

It's kinda hard to get excited about this release when shipping is "targeted to begin" in December 2019... Looks like a very nice product though, with plenty improvements from the last model.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:13 pm

loganmerriam

Post by loganmerriam » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:50 pm

thejosef wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:24 pm It's kinda hard to get excited about this release when shipping is "targeted to begin" in December 2019... Looks like a very nice product though, with plenty improvements from the last model.
Yeah I understand, I wish we could start right away too. Unfortunately it takes a ton of capital to get a manufacturing process up and running. We talked to a few investors but couldn't get the ~1.5M needed to start with a full production process right off the bat, so we're using the preorder model instead. This way we'll ramp up supply to meet demand safely, but the downside is the initial backorder period.
TimK wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:13 pm Image
Glad you snagged one! Excited to get them into production and shipping out to you guys.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:36 pm

Well, latest update is that they won't be shipping until "late January" and that's just for the first batch of 50 orders... I was order #13 but I remember something about giving priority to team orders so I might not even be in that batch. In any case I can forget about using it for the full 12 weeks leading up to my meet in March. Kinda wishing I would have just got a Speed4Lifts at this point, I could have been using it for months now.

Patayter

Post by Patayter » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:25 am

TimK wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:36 pm Well, latest update is that they won't be shipping until "late January" and that's just for the first batch of 50 orders... I was order #13 but I remember something about giving priority to team orders so I might not even be in that batch. In any case I can forget about using it for the full 12 weeks leading up to my meet in March. Kinda wishing I would have just got a Speed4Lifts at this point, I could have been using it for months now.

Have you gotten the RepOne yet? I'm on the fence between it and a Speed4Lifts.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:23 am

Patayter wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:25 am Have you gotten the RepOne yet? I'm on the fence between it and a Speed4Lifts.
I have not. Their last email update was Dec. 31 and didn't have any updated shipping info so we'll see if they can stick to their "late January" prediction.

I'm somewhat annoyed with the whole thing... when I preordered I was under the impression that they had the whole thing designed and ready to start production, but then every post on their social media has been about how they're testing this and that material and making design changes, etc. like they just started from scratch after the preorders. Maybe I'm just naive about how this type of product development works but bottom line is that it's going to get here at least two months later than they predicted back in August.

In the meantime I picked up a Speed4Lifts during their Black Friday sale. It seems to do the job although the documentation isn't great and some things have been confusing. They're apparently a Spanish company and some of the stuff in their online support documents were clearly written by a non-native English speaker... it's not a big deal but then if you go on their youtube everything is in Spanish. They only have three videos, one of them is more of a promotional thing and of the two instructional ones, only one of them has subtitles.

Straight out of the box it will give you an E1RM based on a default equation, but I found the number to be way off for me. I was pretty confused about the process of setting up my own velocity profiles and the documentation seemed to have a lot of gaps with regards to how to do that. I've been using it for about a month now but just got around to doing profiles yesterday for squat and bench. Eventually I think I figured it out and it should be good now, and give me some more reliable predictions of E1RM that I can use to track progress.

As far as actually recording the velocity of each rep it has worked great with no hiccups.

Once the Rep One actually gets here I will have to compare them and see which one I want to keep. Judging by what I've seen of it so far it seems like it might be more durable and it's supposedly more accurate because the cord doesn't have to be perfectly vertical. On the other hand, I asked them about whether it can do an alert when you hit a certain % of velocity lost from the fastest rep and they said that feature (which the S4L can already do) wouldn't be available at launch but they are "hoping to add it".

I think for you the biggest factor to consider is that if you order a S4L you'll have it in a week or so, and if you order a Rep One it will still be months away even if it starts shipping tomorrow, because you'll be at the bottom of the queue with all the other preorders ahead of you.

Patayter

Post by Patayter » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:00 am

Thanks for the write up. I'll probably get the Speed4Lifts. Out of curiosity, did it over or under estimate your 1rm?

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:54 am

Patayter wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:00 am Thanks for the write up. I'll probably get the Speed4Lifts. Out of curiosity, did it over or under estimate your 1rm?
With the default settings it underestimated. For instance, I squatted 3x5 with 405lbs and the fastest rep gave me an e1rm of only 430. The following week when I actually maxed, I got 495.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:06 am

TimK wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:54 am
Patayter wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:00 am Thanks for the write up. I'll probably get the Speed4Lifts. Out of curiosity, did it over or under estimate your 1rm?
With the default settings it underestimated. For instance, I squatted 3x5 with 405lbs and the fastest rep gave me an e1rm of only 430. The following week when I actually maxed, I got 495.
Do you think this is due to you having either a lower 1RM speed than the default, or a quicker drop off in speed as RPE increases or other?

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:26 am

damufunman wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:06 am
TimK wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:54 am
Do you think this is due to you having either a lower 1RM speed than the default, or a quicker drop off in speed as RPE increases or other?
Lower 1RM speed... seems like the S4L default for squats is .32, whereas my 495 was .21 and based on the video I have definitely grinded slower than that on past 1RMs. But I just stuck with .21 since I want the prediction to be something I can be confident about hitting, if that makes sense.

gtl

Post by gtl » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:25 am

Well, my Open Barbell spindle got stuck again after just having them repair it 3 months ago for $50.
They offered me $100 exchange credit + $50 inconvenience credit to get a $400 rep one.
So, $250 for a new unit. Plus the $250 I spent on my V3 (or was it $300? I forget). Plus the $200 I spent on the V1 (technically less because I did end up selling that one for $75 I think??). So, at this rate, $700 for a working Open Barbell. Why not just by a GymAware?

kelly9

Post by kelly9 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:48 pm

I just got the new FLEX device that GymAware just released! Seems pretty decent so far and they have an inbuilt 1RM protocol. I'd say it's worth spending a bit more on the quality product, it will last in the long run.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:08 pm

kelly9 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:48 pm
I just got the new FLEX device that GymAware just released! Seems pretty decent so far and they have an inbuilt 1RM protocol. I'd say it's worth spending a bit more on the quality product, it will last in the long run.
Strong first post

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:49 pm

Fucking spam bots

thejosef

Post by thejosef » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:31 pm

Anybody who ordered got one yet? I kinda want one, but man it seems like it's been taking Forever to get these to market.. only to be made worse by Corona..

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:39 pm

thejosef wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:31 pm Anybody who ordered got one yet? I kinda want one, but man it seems like it's been taking Forever to get these to market.. only to be made worse by Corona..
Nope... got an email on March 6th with a link to a form on their site where you could enter your order number and get a shipping estimate... it said "between mid March to early April". Just checked again and it says the same thing but there's a caveat added about Coronavirus delays. Who knows when it will get here. I'm glad I picked up a Speed4Lifts on Black Friday. I've been pretty happy with it but I'm not in love with the app. I'm hoping that the RepOne is just much better in that department so it will be an easy choice of which one to keep and which to sell.