Quiet lifting. How loud is your bar?

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

damufunman

Re: Quiet lifting. How loud is your bar?

Post by damufunman » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:54 am

Skander wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:32 am
iamsmu wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:09 pm
Wilhelm wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:53 pm I finally saw again who is deadlifting with the Titan silencer pads, jrrenegar.
It's anniemichael
Note the deadlift jack. It would be a huge pain to try to load it on the pads. The jack solves that problem.
Yeah they're really fun on top of my jerk blocks...
Good thing you have an ass-load of small plates!!!

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:24 pm

I'm sure this is way too expensive, but if you could just get the rubber tiles/matts????

Swipe right; they do a before and after test drop...

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:31 pm

@mbasic first one was dropped crooked and had side to side movement, in your experience does that lead to more noise?

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:05 pm

damufunman wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:31 pm @mbasic first one was dropped crooked and had side to side movement, in your experience does that lead to more noise?
idk

but that newer elieko set up is quieter.
We have slightly different set ups, but newer elieko brand platforms....they are in fact quiet.
What noise that is left over in that demo is coming from the plates and bar, not the plates hitting the ground really.

Moral of story is if one plays with the mats ... maybe experiment by layering rubber and foam you can deaden the noise quiet a bit.

I'll say it again: bushing bars are loudest, esp wore out or cheap ones.

Then the next worse thing are those plates with the metal disc interiors.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:59 pm

mbasic wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:05 pm
damufunman wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:31 pm @mbasic first one was dropped crooked and had side to side movement, in your experience does that lead to more noise?
idk

but that newer elieko set up is quieter.
We have slightly different set ups, but newer elieko brand platforms....they are in fact quiet.
What noise that is left over in that demo is coming from the plates and bar, not the plates hitting the ground really.

Moral of story is if one plays with the mats ... maybe experiment by layering rubber and foam you can deaden the noise quiet a bit.

I'll say it again: bushing bars are loudest, esp wore out or cheap ones.

Then the next worse thing are those plates with the metal disc interiors.
Yeah I noticed your stuff is really quiet.
These plates with metal disc interiors:
?

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:23 am

yeah, the all metal inner hubs.
seems like they fit sloppier too than SOME OF the cheap tin bushings that are pressed into the all rubber bumpers.
The way the interior of those are machined, its like a sharp perfect cylinder.
SOME cheap bushed bumpers have a chamfered edge to their bushing ... seems less clank-ey.

I mean yeah, if you are deadlifting and squatting more than 450#, as most of you are, fatter (soft?) cheap bumpers aren't going to work.
(you run out of room on the bar)

But not many are cleaning or snatching more than 450#; or even doing fast pulls with that.

Deadlifting is going to loud no matter what, so have some cheap iron (used) plates for that (and heavy squats).
If you are garage a oly lifter, you don't deadlift ALL time ... what 2x/week?
but you prolly (should be) dropping snatches, cleans, jerks, fast pulls, etc every day multiple times a day.

I

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:12 am

mbasic wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:23 am yeah, the all metal inner hubs.
seems like they fit sloppier too than SOME OF the cheap tin bushings that are pressed into the all rubber bumpers.
The way the interior of those are machined, its like a sharp perfect cylinder.
SOME cheap bushed bumpers have a chamfered edge to their bushing ... seems less clank-ey.

I mean yeah, if you are deadlifting and squatting more than 450#, as most of you are, fatter (soft?) cheap bumpers aren't going to work.
(you run out of room on the bar)

But not many are cleaning or snatching more than 450#; or even doing fast pulls with that.

Deadlifting is going to loud no matter what, so have some cheap iron (used) plates for that (and heavy squats).
If you are garage a oly lifter, you don't deadlift ALL time ... what 2x/week?
but you prolly (should be) dropping snatches, cleans, jerks, fast pulls, etc every day multiple times a day.

I
I was under the impression that competition-style bumpers typically had a tighter fit than the all rubber ones.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:24 am

you'll note in my post, i type "SOME OF" a few times.

Those fat bumpers at my gym seem tighter. And that is on an offbrand oly bar AND an elieko oly bar.
Both seem fairly tight.
I've use those metal hub type (comp?) plates at a few oly gyms...looser and noisey.
The rubber is harder too on those as well.

I'm what you call a silent snatcher. I moreso 'brush' the bar at the hip than 'bang' it. Bar makes almost no noise typically.
When I've used the comp style plates at non-globo WL gyms (w/ the metal inner machined hub), I get it to clank at times.

MPhelps

Post by MPhelps » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:36 am

I use the titan soft plyo boxes for snatch and clean and jerk because Titan either hadn't released the pads or I didnt know about them when I bought them. They were around $225 for both of them IIRC. I lift from the floor and then walk it forward overhead and drop on the boxes. The noise isn't terrible. I lift with a Pendlay bushing bar, which is super loud on its own. I think the boxes dampen the noise pretty well. I bought them mainly because I won't drop on the floor where I lift, and I can't build out a platform because of ceiling height.

As expected with titan, the quality isn't great. One box seems to be compressed quite a bit, even though I don't leave loaded barbells on it, and the heaviest weight dropped on it has been 100kg. But for what it's being used for it's not a big deal. I also have 24" of foam too, as opposed to 6". I'd be somewhat wary of 6" of foam compressing. Also the vinyl covering doesn't fit the foam block very well and is quite loose.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:45 am

I have some of the Rogue comp plates. They fit super tight. I have a pair of Titan comps too. They also fit super tight. I don't know about other brands. I'll test for noise in a day or so. The polar vortex is keeping me out of the garage for now and the basement floor can't handle a drop. . . .

The Titan silencer pads seem tough. Has anyone had any compression issues or zippers breaking? I don't use them much.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:44 am

iamsmu wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:45 am I have some of the Rogue comp plates. They fit super tight. I have a pair of Titan comps too. They also fit super tight. I don't know about other brands. I'll test for noise in a day or so. The polar vortex is keeping me out of the garage for now and the basement floor can't handle a drop. . . .

The Titan silencer pads seem tough. Has anyone had any compression issues or zippers breaking? I don't use them much.
Haven't had any issues with the zippers, and only enough compression that the bar finds the low spot when it's resting on them toward the front end.

asdf

Post by asdf » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:35 am

Lots of talk about bars and bumpers, which makes sense given that the thread was started about deadlifting. But for Olympic lifts, I find that cheap loose change plates make a lot of goddamn noise. (Rattling against the bar and each other.) So keep those to a minimum or better, buy some solid rubber change plates if you can afford 'em.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:23 am

asdf wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:35 am Lots of talk about bars and bumpers, which makes sense given that the thread was started about deadlifting. But for Olympic lifts, I find that cheap loose change plates make a lot of goddamn noise. (Rattling against the bar and each other.) So keep those to a minimum or better, buy some solid rubber change plates if you can afford 'em.
+1 to this, good point. Though the higher frequency metal clanging doesn't carry through walls quite as well as the thud.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:46 am

damufunman wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:23 am
asdf wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:35 am Lots of talk about bars and bumpers, which makes sense given that the thread was started about deadlifting. But for Olympic lifts,
+1 to this, good point. Though the higher frequency metal clanging doesn't carry through walls quite as well as the thud.
yeah, well deadlifts I think you are just fucked.
So the thread comes to a practical end of after a few posts.
Those crash pads were never meant for 400-650# with repeated deadlifts.
Even if you use a deadlift jack to change plates, isn't kind weird standing on the pads while sliding them on and off.
Good luck getting a consistent start position every time dead-lifting with different loads...or as your crush them down
from repeated reps. (i'm sure 550 sits on those pads at a different height than 350, etc)

I know, get two auto-belays like the use at the rock climbing gyms ...with the internal break.
Setup them at the top of your power rack and connect the bar, and let them set it down softly for you.

OR ....just lift like Chebass88 and learn how to put them down softly.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:06 am

mbasic wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:46 am
damufunman wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:23 am
asdf wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:35 am Lots of talk about bars and bumpers, which makes sense given that the thread was started about deadlifting. But for Olympic lifts,
yeah, well deadlifts I think you are just fucked.
So the thread comes to a practical end of after a few posts.
Those crash pads were never meant for 400-650# with repeated deadlifts.
Even if you use a deadlift jack to change plates, isn't kind weird standing on the pads while sliding them on and off.
Good luck getting a consistent start position every time dead-lifting with different loads...or as your crush them down
from repeated reps. (i'm sure 550 sits on those pads at a different height than 350, etc)

I know, get two auto-belays like the use at the rock climbing gyms ...with the internal break.
Setup them at the top of your power rack and connect the bar, and let them set it down softly for you.

OR ....just lift like Chebass88 and learn how to put them down softly.
Yeah that's kinda been my conclusion so far...
Hopefully by the time I'm doing over 400 for reps (or over 350 these days...) we'll have moved to a more suitable place.
And yeah, changing plates on top of the pads is a PITA. Basically going to be setting down gently if I'm deadlifting at night.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:10 am

Is it just your baby-sleep-problem-thing? ... in your case?

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:24 am

No, next door neighbor is right above my basement... But the baby thing too.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:40 am

damufunman wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:24 am No, next door neighbor is right above my basement... But the baby thing too.
I thought you bought a house...

...some weird condo/townhome thing where YOUR basement is UNDER your "neighbor's" house?

hollismb

Post by hollismb » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:11 pm

Our garage (gym) is under our neighbor's apartment. With a combination of stall mats on the floor, mixing bumpers with iron plates (so only the bumpers hit the ground), generally trying to set the bar down quietly (being most quiet on the warmups), and waving and smiling when we see them outside, they've never complained. I know they can definitely hear and feel the heavier sets though.

The bars we use are Rogue Ohio bars, both of which don't have that loud clang/rattle noise that was mentioned in the OP. I did get a bar from them once that was really loud (like if you dropped it unloaded from half an inch to the stall mats), but that bar got swapped out because it arrived slightly bent, and the replacement was quiet; I think that was a B&R 2.0 bar.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:37 pm

mbasic wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:40 am
damufunman wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:24 am No, next door neighbor is right above my basement... But the baby thing too.
I thought you bought a house...

...some weird condo/townhome thing where YOUR basement is UNDER your "neighbor's" house?
Yup, we're the second floor, shes' first floor below us. Basements are below her, half mine, half hers. We also have a third room (I recently learned NOT a bedroom since there's no closet... :/) that is above both garages.
hollismb wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:11 pm Our garage (gym) is under our neighbor's apartment. With a combination of stall mats on the floor, mixing bumpers with iron plates (so only the bumpers hit the ground), generally trying to set the bar down quietly (being most quiet on the warmups), and waving and smiling when we see them outside, they've never complained. I know they can definitely hear and feel the heavier sets though.

The bars we use are Rogue Ohio bars, both of which don't have that loud clang/rattle noise that was mentioned in the OP. I did get a bar from them once that was really loud (like if you dropped it unloaded from half an inch to the stall mats), but that bar got swapped out because it arrived slightly bent, and the replacement was quiet; I think that was a B&R 2.0 bar.
Yeah a good relationship (and having an easy going neighbor to start) is helpful. She even tolerates Olympic lifting which is necessarily dropping from overhead squat, and when going heavy dropping from overhead standing onto crash pads. Used to drop onto platform with stall mats and it was waayyyy louder/shaky, as you might expect.