Need to Build a Home Gym

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: Need to Build a Home Gym

Post by mgil » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:57 pm

Yeah, a power rack is about the most efficient footprint you can get.

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:59 pm

damufunman wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:34 pm
Brackish wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:06 pm
mgil wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:48 am @Brackish, reality is that Rogue is kinda middle of the road price wise and is probably your best option if you want accessories (specifically if not buying them now).

Legend makes good racks and is competitive with Rogue on the 3x3 stuff. Wright Equipment looks to make interesting stuff, but it’s a bit more than Rogue, iirc. EliteFTS is ridiculously expensive. Then you move into 7 gauge stuff and prices really explode ($3,000 rack to start).

Nonetheless, I’d probably stick with USA made stuff mainly due to quality of manufacture as well as some level of consistency wherein you can buy stuff later and it will mount without issue. This might’ve been an issue on earlier Titan stuff. Not sure about now.

Another option for Asian-made equipment but with a bit higher level of QC is Rep Fitness. You can get a solid 3x3 rack from them for under $900 and pick your paint color. Typically better overall fit and finish than Titan.
So, you think I should go with a full rack as opposed to a squat stand then? I was half considering the squat stand (smaller footprint and cost), but then I would deciding not to do any of the add ons later like a pulley system for lat stuff, triceps, etc.
I think main benefits of squat stand is possibly portability and cost. Minimal difference in footprint vs a 24" deep full rack, and a rack can better use attachments.

ETA: yeah, rogue squat stands are 48" deep https://www.roguefitness.com/sml-1-rogu ... quat-stand
So unless individual stands, a power rack can take up the same or less space.
Footprint isn't an issue, but height may be. Planning on putting all this in my basement, which has the lowest ceiling in the house. Go figure. I'm going to need to take measurements before purchasing, but it sounds like a rack is the way to go for me at this point. I think I want the option for pulley stuff.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:13 pm

Short racks are tougher to come by. Does Rogue make one now?

Legend will cut them to size provided you get ahold of the right salesperson.

FredM

Post by FredM » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:26 pm

mgil wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:13 pm Short racks are tougher to come by. Does Rogue make one now?

It might still only be mine (R3 infinity) which again means you're opting out of attachments.

If you already know you want cables and aren't hard set on American made, Rep is probably the way to go. The PR 4000/5000 series come in 80" height options and they probably have one of the best set of pulley attachments out there.

Titan T3 comes in 82" though, so if you can spare the 2" and want to save money -- again, I'd probably look at that. Personally I'd choose Rep's PR5000v2 with the half rack setup Basement Brandon built, but that ain't cheap.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:27 pm

+1 to Titan T3. Short version may not be in stock, but nothing a Dremel can't handle :D I cut mine down about 2 inches after we moved and had to build up a 6" tall platform, only took about an hour. If you can line it up and put it between floor joists you wouldn't have to cut down.

FredM

Post by FredM » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:55 pm

Another option is bells of steel residential rack. Even shorter options than the t3 shorty and comparably priced

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:48 am

mgil wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:13 pm Short racks are tougher to come by. Does Rogue make one now?

Measured last night. It’s 94” from floor to joist. Which means all the Rogue racks are good to go. But the wife has been tossing around the idea of finishing the basement. I don’t know a thing about construction, but I’m assuming I would lose an inch or so if they put in a ceiling. Is that not the case?

Garage may also be an option for me. Wife said she would park outside if it would mean I continued to lift. According to her, and I quote, “You are easier to be around when you’ve lifted recently.” But then we’re running into climate control issues. I could finish insulating it and install some drywall, but it still gets hot and muggy during the summer and cold during the winter (I’m a crybaby, I know. Seen what some of you crazies lift in.).

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:26 am

@Brackish, if you do a drop ceiling (recommended for basements usually because of all the plumbing and wiring running around under the floor) you’ll lose 2 - 6”. Most of the time it’s around 2 - 3” if the rest of the stuff was run right.

You could opt to have the drop ceiling done but leave the space over the rack without tiles.

Finishing the garage is a nice alternative if you can spare the coin. Split duct HVAC systems can get you heat and AC in the garage pretty cheaply for lifting needs. An insulated and well-sealed door is a must. Probably the best investment in terms of maintaining a temperature offset.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:57 am

Brackish wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:48 am

Measured last night. It’s 94” from floor to joist. Which means all the Rogue racks are good to go. But the wife has been tossing around the idea of finishing the basement. I don’t know a thing about construction, but I’m assuming I would lose an inch or so if they put in a ceiling. Is that not the case?

Garage may also be an option for me. Wife said she would park outside if it would mean I continued to lift. According to her, and I quote, “You are easier to be around when you’ve lifted recently.” But then we’re running into climate control issues. I could finish insulating it and install some drywall, but it still gets hot and muggy during the summer and cold during the winter (I’m a crybaby, I know. Seen what some of you crazies lift in.).
You get used to the temperature in a garage gym pretty quick. Honestly if I lived somewhere a lot colder I might put more time into heating but my half-assed attempt works well for me.

FredM

Post by FredM » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:17 am

Brackish wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:48 am

If you're going Rogue, it's worth considering buying everything now if you can afford it -- as the free shipping is a really really non trivial expense. I've spent pretty close to $5k there over 2 years now and wish I had just taken the extra cash out of my savings account and purchased everything up front to save myself probably over $500 (maybe more) in shipping fees.

On basement vs. garage -- I'd probably just stick with basement unless you really want to workout outside. Garage is the definite winner if you have the space and climate control, but losing a garage space and paying the extra money (and time -- to clean it) wouldn't be worth it IMO. If you couldn't fit a full rack and would be otherwise limited then fine -- but if you can, I fail to see the benefit (other than getting fresh air occasionally). The only climate control I need in my basement is a sweatshirt and sweatpants in the winter. It's also nice to not have to leaf blow my space clean, which I'd definitely have to do in my garage which gets filled nature's trash cause it's so windy here.